Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best Finishing Toolpath for Cavity

randommachinist

step 1.- whit isert mill use opticore for roughing 1 in for example

2.- use a 1/" to millflat to remove more areas.

3.-use semifinish whit opti core wit a ball of 1/2

4.- use parallel for 90 degres and 45 degres wit 0.1 of overstock.

5.- use a parallel croos matchet to final finish wit high speed optins activated for better results.

do you want to conect with me by gotometing to make a demo? just send a PM.!  i curious to teach about cavity machining.

I use pencil , old  school style not the high speed one and the unlimited option in number of passes.  You will end up having a toolpath which will run parallel to all internal fillets.  Hybrid will be good for the core side or the same pencil works here too. A scallop finish could run orthogonal to an internal fillet and then you will end up with pock marks.

Gracjan

Your part looks to be pretty much straight arcs along the YZ where the finish surfacing lends itself to a flow-line toolpath that you can dictate the direction. Anytime I can get it to post arcs instead of point to point I'm going that direction. The servo motors will get up speed with the longer G2/G3 moves much faster than a bunch of point to point moves, especially with no look-ahead. In general I choose the direction that will give you the longest motion to get the maximum feedrate out of the servos and this may require breaking the surfaces up into sections to optimize this strategy.

Cheers!

Len Dye

Thanks guys for the help!  I used scallop as one of you suggested, and I think the toolpath is what i'm looking for (I was having some issues with flowline).  But also worried about the pock marks it might leave. So I was thinking of using a ball endmill that was bigger than my fillets for finishing, and then coming back to them with a pencil toolpath with the correct size endmill. Hoping to clean up those pock marks. You guys think that would work? or is there a better way?

actually sort of the opposite .  

First of all pencil unlimited is better than scallop as it will follow your mold topography . scallop will only offset from the outer border of your mold/wireframe boundary. and that has nothing to do with your mold topography. 

Chatter will develop when your endmill will have more than two contact points .  

1.So I would first go in with a pencil toolpath with stock to leave > 0 and say 5 to 6 cuts from center and a tool smaller than your big primary finisih tool. 

2 Now the primary finish tool  (scallop / parallel if possible / pencil unlimited)

3  the pencil toolpath again but this time it's for real 

Gracjan

You're right, pencil unlimited looks great! is there some sort of leftover toolpath that i could use to go back and clean up the fillets though after i use my big primary finish tool? that way i don't have to start over with the pencil toolpath and run the hole thing from start to finish just to get to desired fillet with the correct endmill. 

• Like 1

Pencil machining is by definition a leftover type of toolpath. The unlimited option is just a naturtal progression on the core idea.

As I said I mostly use the old school version , but the high speed version has Stock as an option . you can use that to define your leftovers and dirty dishes :) . ( a previous op  tool diameter , one chosen toolpath , or all ops  up to now  ). 

Gracjan