Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam 2017 newby, basic question

Gordon Dawson

I recently updated Mastercam from X4; needless to say, 2017 is giving me some challenges, but for the most part, I like it and will just have to learn where everything is located.

So, a very simple question. I try and create a point position and can not find anywhere to input the coordinates of the point to where I want to place it.

I go to wireframe, point position, and the box appears with the info, but no place to input the coordinates? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for the help.

I will have to say, typing in x,y,z, plus the coordinates is way more inputting than the older program. Older versions all one had to do is enter the coordinate in "X" and hit enter and it would automatically go to "Y", then "Z".

2017 sure is a lot more typing to do a basic function. Way more chances of an error. Unless I'm doing it wrong....

Gordon,

You can create point by just selecting point position and then start typing and the window for the location just like the space bar option becomes active.

Also when typing the values in you do not have to type for example: X0 Y0 Z0 you can follow the simple thought that is always goes X,Y,Z in the order and type example of 0,0,0 the coma acts as the separator.

you also do not have to put for example: you do not have add the last being Z .

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

My biggest complaint about this is when im creating lathe geometry. In X9 I could click my start out and then key in my D value in the old Auto Cursor coordinate thingy.

That thing is gone now. The Spacebar trick works. But it's not what I want. They took too many steps backwards in 2017.

6 minutes ago, metzenwest said:

My biggest complaint about this is when im creating lathe geometry. In X9 I could click my start out and then key in my D value in the old Auto Cursor coordinate thingy.

That thing is gone now. The Spacebar trick works. But it's not what I want. They took too many steps backwards in 2017.

Your not alone... We have about 30 Mastercam users here and not 1 person likes the new "hit spacebar"  The XYZ boxs were better...

• Like 1
On 5/19/2017 at 5:05 PM, Jay Kramer @ Precision Programming said:

Me I just start typing and use the coma to divide between the axis alway remember X,Y,Z order.

Jay, Is it possible to lock in a position doing it the new way? With the  XYZ boxs you could lock a value in... Is locking possible now?