Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Question on MC part properties

TERRYH

With in the last 6 months we made the jump from X6 to X9 we use a tool library that is on our company server when we moved to 9 we created an X9 library the same way. Now if we have an engineering change to do and the part was originally programmed in 6 but now were on 9 it still looks at the X6 library and if we try to run verify or back plot it tells us tool will not be displayed properly. is there a way for us to open an old part from 6 and have it come in correct with 9 setting and tools? the library is the same it was just copied to  a new folder named X9 instead of X6 so tools are identical just a different place. Or is this just something were going to have to live with.  

• Like 6

Ok thanks JP, replacing machine def is what were doing now, and at some point we will uninstall X6. 

Yeah, as long as the older version files are available, it will run home,,,so replacing updates the links

In the past we have skipped over the odd numbered versions of mastercam and only used the even numbered ones, for some reason it just seemed they were more stable. And as much as I like a lot of the features of X9 there are just as many bad ones that in all honesty I cannot believe they let go and did not fix with an update.  Truly kind of sad to think we pay this much for a licence for a software that is not 100%  

Show me engineering software that is 100%.

:rofl:

Not saying there are not issues because that would be a lie, but 100% is a pretty high expectation for complex software. All software has it's issues. But I'm with you, some of the issues that have been around for a long time, those need to be cleaned up.

JM2CFWIW

Show me engineering software that is 100%.

:rofl:

Not saying there are not issues because that would be a lie, but 100% is a pretty high expectation for complex software. All software has it's issues. But I'm with you, some of the issues that have been around for a long time, those need to be cleaned up.

JM2CFWIW

Definitely.. I doubt there is a rock solid piece of CAM software (or software in general) out there.

Yeah, and some of the new issues that have reared their head in 2017. +D+Z is getting to be a headache. :)

Definitely.. I doubt there is a rock solid piece of CAM software (or software in general) out there.

Yeah, and some of the new issues that have reared their head in 2017. +D+Z is getting to be a headache. :)

Yes..

I had a finished lathe VTL file that ran fine

I opened it to review something this morning and +D+Z toolplane wil not work

a report on +D+Z in this file defines it as a mill plane

I can't delete it and can't edit it

The toolpaths are all good and post correctly, but it's frustrating doing lathe work

without +D+Z

I agree there is no 100% perfect software CAM/CAD or other and I was exaggerating on that, but with some of the issues I have seen should have been fixed,because they did not exist in previous versions, to me it is kind of ignorant for a company of any kind to come out with a new version of anything before the previous was fixed as well as it could have been, especially for the money they charge. I mean why come out with 2017 which I heard is a total new layout and format from X9 and others when X9 still had issues. 

I agree there is no 100% perfect software CAM/CAD or other and I was exaggerating on that, but with some of the issues I have seen should have been fixed,because they did not exist in previous versions, to me it is kind of ignorant for a company of any kind to come out with a new version of anything before the previous was fixed as well as it could have been, especially for the money they charge. I mean why come out with 2017 which I heard is a total new layout and format from X9 and others when X9 still had issues. 

Based on that statement, no software company would ever release a new version

Bugs are a nature of software....

But yes, some do linger on FAR too long

...some of the issues I have seen should have been fixed,because they did not exist in previous versions, to me it is kind of ignorant for a company of any kind to come out with a new version of anything before the previous was fixed as well as it could have been...

Based on that statement, no software company would ever release a new version

:yes:

All this reminds me of a 90's james bond movie, the one with Terri Hatcher. They were talking about 14.4 modems and everything. One scene the bad guy is talking about his software and the lackey replies "with all the bugs you requested" or something. Any who, Terri Hatcher so that's about all I remember.

Also reminds me of Bill Gates releasing Windows 98 in Southpark Bigger longer uncut movie. Bill: "it's over 8 gazillion times..." General: Blam! (he shot him).