Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

draw geometry for G00 rapid moves

Bret Vanderhyden

Is there a way in Mastercam to create geometry that will output G00 rapid moves when used as chain geometry?

It would be great if mastercam would recognize particular curve fonts as rapid moves. For example, a solid line when used as chain geometry would be recognized as a feed move, but a dashed line would be interpreted as a rapid move. 

I often create my own toolpath geometry in Rhino/Grasshopper and I tend to create additional geometry to link passes together for optimal toolpath motion  -- see attached image for example. It also means that don't have to click on multiple toolpath curves - the attached example is pretty mild in this regard. If I could make the linking geometry a different line type -- say dashed -- so that G00 moves would be output instead of G01, it would be an very useful feature.

post-45132-0-89832700-1473195690_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

First thing that comes to my mind is Toolpath editor, you can use that to edit the feeds into rapids but like others have asked, why would you do that much work? Mastercams has specific toolpath intended for specific applications so as long as you choose the correct toolpath you should never need to create your own toolpath by manually drawing the path. I would recommend looking for a better toolpath for your application. That does look like a lot of hard work though so I can appreciate your efforts but I am confident there is also an easier way that you may want to consider. Is the part 3D, it looks 3D to me ( and I don't mean is it solid, I am asking if you have non flat and non vertical faces or surfaces), then the next question is do you have Mill3d, its ok if you don't have mill3d because we still can come up with solution in Mill2d (there are a few 3d paths that mill2d has access too) but Mill3d would be much much better and even more easier yet.

That's my thoughts on this subject and I hope it helps, if you absolutely want to run your path, right click on the toolpath and go into toolpath editor, then cycle points until you get to the move you need to turn to a rapid and hit edit point, otherwise another toolpath selection would be a better choice.

What I'm talking about here is a non-standard application of CAM. When machining a part to match a solid model exactly - traditional CAM works great. When applying texture to an otherwise smooth surface -- CAM has some options but it falls short. Check out this flickr account to see some examples of work where we are using the machining process to apply texture and patterns to part surfaces.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nealfeay

What I'm talking about here is a non-standard application of CAM. When machining a part to match a solid model exactly - traditional CAM works great. When applying texture to an otherwise smooth surface -- CAM has some options but it falls short. Check out this flickr account to see some examples of work where we are using the machining process to apply texture and patterns to part surfaces.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nealfeay

Well guess what Mastercam can do that very easily. That is all done using the existing tools already in the software just a matter of their application of them. Many don't realize you can drive a lot of the toolpaths to STL shapes made in something like Maya or Rhino, but apply basic toolpaths to them to create the free form abstract you are after. I always call my work art as I want to be nice looking when it is done. You just want to apply a certain level of control to free form shapes. No problem just think free form in your driving of the toolpath process and use it to make the toolpaths you are after. Mastercam is a tool so you can keep doing all the extra work you are doing which is neat or you can do less work with just as much or more control and get it done faster and easier.

Well guess what Mastercam can do that very easily. That is all done using the existing tools already in the software just a matter of their application of them. Many don't realize you can drive a lot of the toolpaths to STL shapes made in something like Maya or Rhino, but apply basic toolpaths to them to create the free form abstract you are after. I always call my work art as I want to be nice looking when it is done. You just want to apply a certain level of control to free form shapes. No problem just think free form in your driving of the toolpath process and use it to make the toolpaths you are after. Mastercam is a tool so you can keep doing all the extra work you are doing which is neat or you can do less work with just as much or more control and get it done faster and easier.

Exactly, at some point you may choose to use a 3rd party application to create geometry, whether it's a mesh, surface, or curves. You can apply standard surface machining toolpaths to a variety of drive geometry to create texture and patterns, that works great and it's a technique I've used quite a bit. You can play with the filter settings, etc.

Would love to see some examples of the type of stuff you're talking about.

And don't be afraid to answer the initial question in the post. 

Here's an example of a part where I needed to create custom toolpath geometry. I'm not sure how this toolpath could be created entirely in Mastercam without a third party application.

knife_handle.jpg

That's a nice part Bret, but I see nothing in that picture that requires a custom toolpath. In my opinion if I had that project, I would rough with a Dynamic opti rough. Raster the part to semi finish. Then for finishing to achieve the best possible flow for that wavy shape that you have I would use a blend toolpath or a multi-axis Morph (which can be set to 3 axis) as I think a blended or morphed motion would look the best on something of that nature. That's at least how I would handle it for something of that nature but there are a handful of other Mastercam toolpaths that would also do a good job if setup correctly.

• Like 1

by the way, try that toolpath editor I mentioned previously and see how that works for your initial question about getting rapid moves. Just right click the created toolpath and hit toolpath editor, Its lots of work but if you are dead set on creating your own path instead of using mastercam's 3d paths that will probably give you what your after for Rapids.

I would do every bit of that with nothing more that containment geo.

If you understand the toolpaths and what changing the stepover will do to the path then you can get really creative.

I've even used the feed rate or removing an insert or two to change texture.

Any software is only as good as the finger clicking at it.

Good luck with your project, hope to see some nice pics once you get rolling.

That's a nice part Bret, but I see nothing in that picture that requires a custom toolpath. In my opinion if I had that project, I would rough with a Dynamic opti rough. Raster the part to semi finish. Then for finishing to achieve the best possible flow for that wavy shape that you have I would use a blend toolpath or a multi-axis Morph (which can be set to 3 axis) as I think a blended or morphed motion would look the best on something of that nature. That's at least how I would handle it for something of that nature but there are a handful of other Mastercam toolpaths that would also do a good job if setup correctly.

Hi Josh - thanks for the reply. The solid model doesn't have the wave pattern in it -- that was created in the toolpath. If it had, then yes the blend would have worked great.

knife_handle_solid.jpg

by the way, try that toolpath editor I mentioned previously and see how that works for your initial question about getting rapid moves. Just right click the created toolpath and hit toolpath editor, Its lots of work but if you are dead set on creating your own path instead of using mastercam's 3d paths that will probably give you what your after for Rapids.

And thanks for addressing the question. I'll look into this, but yes I want to avoid a lot of manual labor if possible. 

• Like 1

these are customers solids, I'm not going to post them. You can make your own revolved bottle shape.

I'd be willing to help.  You asked, I offered.  I've done quite a bit of stuff like this and am not interested in playing with it.  If you have something specific post it, if not I can't help.

• Like 1

Hi Josh - thanks for the reply. The solid model doesn't have the wave pattern in it -- that was created in the toolpath. If it had, then yes the blend would have worked great.

knife_handle_solid.jpg

oh you don't have the CAD of the finish model with that wave pattern. All of my ideas are driven to the Drive faces or surfaces so without having an accurate model that makes more sense to me now why you are taking this approach. That's impressive work man for not getting accurate CAD models, I would probably still model the part and use a 3d path than try to manipulate a manually drawn path but it looks like you have your strategy figured pretty good. Other than the toolpath editor idea, another thought would be to just use your custom geometry that you have drawn, but instead of doing it all with 1 toolpath break it up into multiple toolpaths and as long as you don't draw your links Mastercam should use a retract back to your toolpaths clearance plane. So my idea would be just don't use your links that you have drawn but instead use multiple toolpath and that should link the paths with a rapid move. good luck

• Like 4

Ive made a lot of those bottles....

....Until I realized my tool post was not tight. 

I think a loose retention knob can get some good results too! :laughing:

Just kidding. The only way to do the convert to rapid thing is the way Josh is showing.

I would be more apt to finish the model, apply texture, and save as an STL in Rino.

Then, machine as you would any other surface.

• Like 1

The best address I have for your initial question is to use 3d contour. it will retract and rapid between every chain.

Create all of your geo for center point and be mindful of lead in/out, use incremental everything but clearance. You can get as fancy as you want.

Beautiful artwork, Bret!

This looks like a perfect application for Mastercam Art.  You probably want to talk to your reseller about a demo on it.

The quick version is that you create an art "object" (basically a mesh in the background) that you can manipulate using repeating patterns, importing gradient graphics (white is tallest, black is lowest), etc. to get the size/shape/height you want.   Then you can export that to a mesh or Mastercam surfaces.

Here's an example of something I created in a few seconds.  I'll send you a PM about how to get the file, even a small one like this is ~15mb, so too big to attach here.

Start with a area you'd like to fill in (a simple rectangle in my case), and an area you'd like to fill in (the squiggly area in the middle):

post-12334-0-91835200-1473339431_thumb.png

Then go in and create a pattern (either use a predefined or go with custom).  If you go with custom, choose your base image:

post-12334-0-64502600-1473340204_thumb.png

Finally adjust any settings you'd like to fill in the pattern until you're happy, then right click on the art "object" and choose to Export to > Mastercam Surfaces:

post-12334-0-19153200-1473340209_thumb.png

Now you can use an ol' toolpath to cut it, I used surface high speed raster here with a basic ball mill just for example:

post-12334-0-84186500-1473340213_thumb.png

post-12334-0-91835200-1473339431_thumb.png

post-12334-0-64502600-1473340204_thumb.png

post-12334-0-19153200-1473340209_thumb.png

post-12334-0-84186500-1473340213_thumb.png

• Like 1