Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Generic FANUC POST files for Mastercam x9

Hello everyone,

We just purchased the X9 Mill upgrades and a new X9 installation for our Wire EDM machines. We have 3 FANUC wire EDMs, the Robocut 1iA, 0iC, and 1iC which we have been running pcFaptCut for ages with but we obviously want to setup Mastercam finally.

The problem I'm having is getting the proper POST files for our FANUC wire machines. The tech from Mastercam sent me the generic POST twice but they seem incomplete. All I ever seem to get are the movement codes in the the NC file along with some generic stuff like G20 for setting the INCH input and G90 for Absolute Input and G92 for the Absolute Preset of 0,0 and so on....  There are no Power files and If I click on NC Configuration in the Code Master that Mastercam uses to send the NC files to the EDM machine it doesn't even list a FANUC Wire machine. The only wire machines listed are a Makino and a Mitsubishi, all the others are mills and lathes or routers.

I know that specific POST files for each of our FANUC Robocut models is an expensive proposition but I just want the generic POST files for now. Obviously I will keep at our Mastercam techs to supply a fix because for what we paid for this software its insane to be left with a non-working setup but I was hoping someone here might have some advice?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

--Wesley

Asking here for a post is a no-no

Work through your reseller, be clear about what you need.

You also might consider some basic training too, I'll bet the post will do what you need but you don't know how to used it properly

Thanks, I apologize for the mistake. I was hoping asking about the generic files was ok.  I'm going through the reseller now but so far nothing.  They will have to do something because in the end we spent a lot of  $$$ and it doesn't support some of the most common machines on the planet.

Honestly, I'm sorry for my mistake.

Thanks, I apologize for the mistake. I was hoping asking about the generic files was ok.  I'm going through the reseller now but so far nothing.  They will have to do something because in the end we spent a lot of  $$$ and it doesn't support some of the most common machines on the planet.

Honestly, I'm sorry for my mistake.

It does....I think the biggest issue you have at the moment might be not knowing how to use the post/power libraries along with possibly some very minor post tweaking

There are default files

WIRE_INCH.POWER files which can be used and edited for your needs.. you could copy and rename that file Fanuc.Power and set your control def's to look for that file...

Ultimately working through your reseller is the best way to get your situation addressed....

Wes. Welcome to the forum.

FWIW, I would prog a typical part that you make in mcam and post out the code.

Then red pen alter add change it to be how your machine wants to see it.

Then create a zip2go file and email this and your markedup code to your reseller.

They then can see what you need and you have your test file to ensure the modified post outputs your requested changes.

IDK who your reseller is but coming from other softwares in which I dealt with employees of the actual software maker I was worried about mcam. Now having said that, I have had a far better post development experience out of mcam. My reseller has a guy who is pretty good at tweaking generic posts and my bought posts are in expert hands.

Have you considered buying a post? I'm not sure if your cost per hour on the wire machine but I bet by the time you fight and fight a generic post then kill some parts and maybe wreck the machine a bought post will pay for itself.

IDK who your reseller is but coming from other softwares in which I dealt with employees of the actual software maker I was worried about mcam. Now having said that, I have had a far better post development experience out of mcam. My reseller has a guy who is pretty good at tweaking generic posts and my bought posts are in expert hands.

Have you considered buying a post? I'm not sure if your cost per hour on the wire machine but I bet by the time you fight and fight a generic post then kill some parts and maybe wreck the machine a bought post will pay for itself.

You raise a very valid point. If your reseller is experienced with tweaking posts, and is technically savvy, then your reseller is your best resource. If not, well...

Maybe buying a post is a better option..

Often times the Generic Posts can be a fair starting point. On occasion (like with the 5-Axis post that ships with Mastercam), there are Misc. Integers and Misc. Reals that need to be set in order to output code properly.

Like was said above, your reseller is generally going to be your first line of support especially if you're just getting started with the software. Posts often do cost money, but on occasion your reseller may have a library of generic posts (that may not be on the installer) that are available that may be close, then wil a little modification can be post and go. I spent some time working for an MC Reseller and sometimes posts were low charge/no-charge and sometimes they were not.

HTH

It does....I think the biggest issue you have at the moment might be not knowing how to use the post/power libraries along with possibly some very minor post tweaking

There are default files

WIRE_INCH.POWER files which can be used and edited for your needs.. you could copy and rename that file Fanuc.Power and set your control def's to look for that file...

Ultimately working through your reseller is the best way to get your situation addressed....

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the replies. We do have the WIRE_INCH.POWER post installed as well as the GENERIC FANUC 4X WIRE post files the tech at MACDAC Engineering sent me. I will keep working with the tech from there of course but I was hoping to make some progress before my company finally schedules the class with them.

Yes, I am going to take the class with MACDAC Engineering.  As much as I was able to learn on my own (drawing mostly on my Solidworks knowledge to figure out how Mastercam does things) I agree that I could be missing something simple that could be causing my problems. For Pete's sake, I still can't find where to input material type and if Mastercam doesn't know if I'm burning Stainless or Carbide, how can it give me the proper Power Settings, no?

Just an FYI, as it stands I have sent the tech two programs. One is the default program created by PcFaptCut which is the software that FANUC ships with the Wire EDM machines. This program has all of the power settings, movements, etc. I have also sent them a copy of the NC file that Mastercam is sending that contains only the movements and no power settings. I'll see where this goes....

Thanks again guys,

--Wesley

The guys at MACDAC are pretty good

Ultimately, if they can't get you straightened out give Doug a call at Cimquest, another area reseller for whom in the spirit of full disclosure, I was previously employed, they will get you going.

• 6 months later...

A quick update in case anyone is interested.

The files I sent to the re-seller didn't help. Their advice now is for me to program the part to be cut in both Mastercam and the Fanuc software, PC FaptCut. Then I am to cut and paste over the feed and speed settings from FaptCut into Mastercam and upload that to the Wire EDM machine. That isn't something I'm willing to do. If I program the part using the Fanuc software, why would I do it again in Mastercam? It makes no sense.

Too much time has passed so I'm not sure about returning X9. Thank you everyone for the comments and replies. 

15 minutes ago, wesright said:

A quick update in case anyone is interested.

The files I sent to the re-seller didn't help. Their advice now is for me to program the part to be cut in both Mastercam and the Fanuc software, PC FaptCut. Then I am to cut and paste over the feed and speed settings from FaptCut into Mastercam and upload that to the Wire EDM machine. That isn't something I'm willing to do. If I program the part using the Fanuc software, why would I do it again in Mastercam? It makes no sense.

Too much time has passed so I'm not sure about returning X9. Thank you everyone for the comments and replies. 

You are right to feel that isn't the solution....

As I stated above, give Cimquest a call.....PM me if you need a phone number

I was in a similar situation when we first starting setting up our Mitsubishi EDM and mastercam posts, and power libraries. It took a few months of back and forth with our reseller and Mitsubishi application guys but we were able to get the correct post and power libraries for our machine. As everyone else has said, this is something a good reseller should be able to handle. 

Depending on how strong you are with figuring out code on your own... you may want to consider tinkering with the post yourself. I knew absolutely nothing about post files a year ago, and I've made several working posts for our mills over the last year. Just make sure you make backup files before you start, and before every time you make a major change. probably not a bad idea to keep multiple backups in case a change you make and save breaks the post and you can't figure out how to undo it. I've never used MCAM wire, but the posts I've seen so far for everything else are extremely customizable, and if they're not spitting out what you want, you can re-write them to do essentially whatever you want. Also, there are a lot of functions controlled by digital switches within the post file, so I'd bet money the features you want are already in the post file, but just not turned on.

Having the debugging tool up when you post is invaluable for that. You can use the logs in the debugging tool to track down what portions of the post file are being used to create what lines of code in the NC output. Think of the post as a somewhat complicated script file that translates the raw NCI code from mastercam into machine specific NC code. Spend a good bit of time looking through the top 1/4 or so of the file, that is where most of the config info and switches are.

Usually what a reseller/post writer wants is for you to send them two copies of the code- what it is actually spitting out, and a copy of what you want it to output. Not sure about either of the resellers mentioned here, but MCAMNW will give you one free 3 axis post with a MCMAM seat, and they'll give you three days to test and resubmit for changes, so just be sure you are having clear dialog with them and they can get you sorted out.

Hope that helps.

I used to work at a shop that had a Fanuc wire and Surfcam.  Its been at least 8 years.  Back then we were told that PC FaptCut  was the only software that would output the power settings.  I don't know if that was correct or if it has changed.  We didn't have the PC FaptCut software.  We were able to output the g code path out of Surfcam.  On the control we could select the material, thickness, and number of passes and have it create a main program that would call the Surfcam generated code as a subprogram.  It worked pretty good but it would have been nice to be able to do it all from the CAM software.  I don't run wire machines anymore but the shop I'm at now the wire guys program Agie and Charmilles with Mastercam.  Sounds like they are using about the same method.   I think Mastercam has the ability but they seem to think what they are doing is easier.  Might be because there posts need some work. 

If you are going to continue using Mastercam I would recommend going with 2017.  If you are just starting out it won't make much difference which interface you learn.  If you learn X9 then later update to 2017 or later version it will be frustrating learning were everything is in the new interface.