Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Verify comparison: Mastercam X6 vs Mastercam 2017

Titanium

Thanks for trying to find solutions to this problem Colin. It is appreciated. Most of those things we have already tried.

On the part I am working on now, (see attached file at the bottom-part to try) X6 verify takes 13 seconds (12 seconds to play and 1 second to compare).

In 2017 with the precision factor set to 1, verify takes 6 minutes 42 seconds (4 minutes 45 seconds to play and 1 minute 57 seconds to compare).

The only Visibility options enabled are Tool and Stock.

The only Stop condition enabled is collision.

Collision checking is set for shank, shoulder, and cutting length.

Curve tol = .0005

STL tol = .0005

Workpiece tol = .0005

There are no fixtures in the program.

Stock source is Solid.

Adaptive quality is disabled. If I leave it on the verify screen gets stuck often as it tries to enhance the model and view.

I have tried bumping the curve tolerance up to .008 and it doesn't seem to make much difference (about 8 seconds).

Collision checking is something that I do use and X6 is doing, so turning it off to speed up

the software is not really an option.

I had not tried a precision factor below 1.

When I try a precision factor of .5 it has a significant effect on speed.

The 2017 verify and compare total time drops from 6 minutes 42 seconds down to 1 minute 37 seconds.

This is still over 7 times longer than X6 at 13 seconds but is much better.

I tried another of our parts with a precision factor of 0.5. The compare result was very poor on the curved surfaces.

On surfaces that were finished correctly it was showing gouges all over the part as you can see.

(Part with curved surfaces)

attachicon.gif1.jpg

(Part to try)

attachicon.gifCX032600.MCX-6

In summary it looks like we have to use a precision factor of 1 because .5 has too much trouble with curved surfaces. Maybe you could try this file on your system, comparing X6 to 2017 and see what your results are.

Well I think most of your problem is how you define your tools. I brought the file into 2017 and none of the tools would load. What did you see when you brought the file into 2017? If the tools don't come in correctly Mastercam doesn't handle verify very well. Someone from CNC Should see this file and use it to roadmap handling of older files and tools. If a previous version can use the tools and verify the program, then a new version should be able to handle the same task and from what I can see 2017 cannot do this with your X6 file.

• Like 1

Well I think most of your problem is how you define your tools. I brought the file into 2017 and none of the tools would load. What did you see when you brought the file into 2017? If the tools don't come in correctly Mastercam doesn't handle verify very well. Someone from CNC Should see this file and use it to roadmap handling of older files and tools. If a previous version can use the tools and verify the program, then a new version should be able to handle the same task and from what I can see 2017 cannot do this with your X6 file.

Try it again. I have changed the X6 file so it will import into 2017 without tool problems.

The chamfer tool has a radius on the tip which was defined in X6 but 2017 doesn't seem to handle it.

The facemill OD and tip diameter were the same, with a 90 deg corner but 2017 changes it to a 45 deg corner and doesn't like the 2 diameters the same.

The radius mill was using a custom file for the profile but I set it to a simple radius cutter without an extended tip so it will import into 2017 without problems.

The program should work for you now.

I agree with you that the tools should come in seamlessly from older versions but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Here is the file again (see attached file at the bottom) , in case it was missed. We know about the issue of tools not converting correctly and we are changing them every time we bring an X6 program into 2017. This file has the tools modified so that they will work in 2017. If you do try it, I would be curious to see what your time differences are.

On our system, for this part, X6 verify takes 13 seconds (12 seconds to play and 1 second to compare).
In 2017 with the precision factor set to 1, verify takes 6 minutes 42 seconds (4 minutes 45 seconds to play and 1 minute 57 seconds to compare).

CX032600.MCX-6

• 5 months later...

I have been meaning to reply but haven't found the time until now. I have had the same problems with the 2017 verify as well. I know many other users that are angry about this but no one says anything because they are too busy or just think that it won't help anyway. So thank you for the time you have put into documenting all of this.

• Like 1

Hey Titanium,

I remember reading a thread here a while back (5+ years ago) that mentioned having a good graphics card resulted in faster verify results.   

On my laptop I verified your part in roughly 1 Minute and 10 seconds using Mastercam 2017.  I'm just wondering what your computer specs are on the system that you are attempting to verify this part on?  Below are the important specs of my system.  My Laptop has an integrated graphics card but I turned it off in the Bios since I was having issues with it.  

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/11/2017, 14:09:32
   Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_ltsb.170427-1704)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
       System Model: Precision M4800
               BIOS: A13
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
             Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16324MB RAM
          Page File: 7208MB used, 25498MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
     DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: NVIDIA Quadro K2100M
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: Quadro K2100M
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
        Device Type: Full Device
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11FC&SUBSYS_05CC1028&REV_A1
     Display Memory: 10119 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 1957 MB
      Shared Memory: 8161 MB
       Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

On the subject of turning off integrated graphics....   This can be challenging for some of us.  I can't disable mine in the bios itself, that I can find anyway. But I can disable the driver and the result is that I can't use multiple monitors plugged in through display port 1.1....  So kinda makes it pointless.  More reason for me to build a dedicated tower for desk programming.  If I was out and about on the lappy without a second monitor I suppose I could disable the driver and would be on the dedicated card, problems might go away.  It would be nice if the software could differentiate and use the dedicated instead of integrated if it knows it is there.

On 5/11/2017 at 0:13 PM, Chris Lang In-House Solutions said:

Hey Titanium,

I remember reading a thread here a while back (5+ years ago) that mentioned having a good graphics card resulted in faster verify results.   

On my laptop I verified your part in roughly 1 Minute and 10 seconds using Mastercam 2017.  I'm just wondering what your computer specs are on the system that you are attempting to verify this part on?  Below are the important specs of my system.  My Laptop has an integrated graphics card but I turned it off in the Bios since I was having issues with it.  

Hey Chris,

In-House Solutions came to our shop and also thought it was our system. It ended up that our set-up was better than what they had. With the settings set to where we need them, their results were no different than ours. They admitted that there was a problem with Verify and that's where it ends. I'm not sure if CNC will ever fix it properly.