Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I'm trying to like Cimco

jlw™

I use Cimco 7 as the primary code editing tool and would like it a lot more if

- it was possible to use WinMerge or any other external tool for code comparision instead of the internal comparator (wm is IMO superior)

- there was a favorites tab under the Open/Save dialog. Browsing through the nc file folders over and over again is very tedious.

- it was possible to use WinMerge or any other external tool for code comparision instead of the internal comparator (wm is IMO superior)

- there was a favorites tab under the Open/Save dialog. Browsing through the nc file folders over and over again is very tedious.

I agree the comparator is subpar compared to WM. Not sure if they will work on it. It would be nice if cimco license WM engine... Probably won't happen ever...

The second suggestion is better handled in V8...

Can you give us what exactly you would like to see in our Cimco compare thay WN has.

I know the office would not pull in the third party but the development team are good at implanting new things.

Also have heard thay soon we will be offers true machine Sim in the editor.

I will be posting a sample soon.

• Like 3

So you are trying to save an edited program from the editor to a certain drive and it will not save? is this what you are saying?

Exactly.

I am running windows 10 b.t.w.

I contacted our seller,  will see what going to  happen on the end .

Just interesting if some one also has the  problem .

Talking of file compare etc - I've never used WM but Beyond Compare works great. And its not big money. Being small boys, this maybe competitive to be licenced if it meets the needs?

http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=v4whatsnew

That's what I use as well. Its a great compare tool but it still needs a few things in my opinion. I'm still trying to figure out how to have it ignore block numbers. 

Can you give us what exactly you would like to see in our Cimco compare thay WN has.

I know the office would not pull in the third party but the development team are good at implanting new things.

I agree that Cimco could use a little work on the compare function. It has trouble when you get a lot of differences and basically gives up and marks everything as different. I still use it for the simple compares but when it gets more complex I move to Beyond compare. With that said I could understand if this wasn't their focus and it wouldn't bother me one bit if they didn't touch it. When I run across some specific issues I will send them to you. 

I always use windows explorer to navigate to the file then just drag the file over my open Cimco session and it opens right up. I use a lot of favorites in windows explorer and unless Cimco used those I would still use my method.

The color tagging is not as extensive as in wm. I can live with that, but what I miss the most is a file-wide comparision bars (See the two left columns in http://winmerge.org/about/screenshots/screenshot_small.png

Version 7.

I use PSPad a lot. It has that. It also has project files that you can associate to one another.

EdytorNC has a lot of the same and then some handy features with block numbers and swap axes. I have used the swap axes function many times to run an angle head.

I wish they could all go to a big ol orgie and make a baby.

Not long ago I put together a big list to cimco development about the many little tools their competitors are offering for years and they're not.

So they know what they're missing. But I think we will have to join voices to get these things on the product.

I like the idea to have machine simulation... But axis swapping and better comparison is more important in my humble opinion. After all, it's a NC Editor, not VERICUT. First things first.

Shouldn't have said that on a public forum... But had to spit it out...

A few things I miss in CIMCO-Edit that are supported by its competitors:

#1 – Multistep translation in XYZ (Helpful with patterns - Ex: Turning grooves equally spaced)
#2 – Convert coordinates between absolute and incremental commands
#3 - Address Replace / Address Swap / Custom Address Calculator ( :crybaby:)

#4 - Convert absolute I / J / K arc center coordinates to or from incremental I / J / K <-> Convert R specified arcs to or from I / J / K specified arcs
#5 – Support of 3Dconnexion devices ( :crybaby:)
#6 – Viewport support
#7 – Custom Macro B Support in the Editor - Currently supported in the backplotter (NC-Plot offers a sort of debugger for this - How can CIMCO-Edit not have it?  :no

#8 – Backplotter - Import of DXF files in the backplotter as the part geometry
#9 – Backplotter - Sectioning of STLs for turning simulation

These just the things I consider very important... the list is bigger than that...

Daniel ( Watcher) so you made the list. So you know I am now on the development team for all you wrote and more. thank you for all of this and the ball is rolling thank to your input.
This funny really just this morning before coming here. I just added another to the list for more wait codes and there will be more.

• Like 1

Not long ago I put together a big list to cimco development about the many little tools their competitors are offering for years and they're not.

So they know what they're missing. But I think we will have to join voices to get these things on the product.

I like the idea to have machine simulation... But axis swapping and better comparison is more important in my humble opinion. After all, it's a NC Editor, not VERICUT. First things first.

Shouldn't have said that on a public forum... But had to spit it out...

Daniel,

It is OK to give your thoughts. We have different developers working on different things at the same time. the implantation of Machine sim is really going to help besides just the Machine sim but what it is going to bring to the simple backplot now. the implementation of a new tool library and support for custom tool is a big deal. there is a lot of changes going on and you will see a lot more over the months to come.

• Like 3