Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Small to Mid-size 5-axis Milling Machines

Jim at Gentex

Is that Eagle an Ingersoll Eagle? Is it the model suitable for graphite machining?

Yes Ops ingesoll eagle v9

And yes it is designed exactly for graphite and hard milling with thru spindle air/oil mist.

The trunion is sealed and comes with a Keller oil mist/ graphite dust collection system

They did a test cut for me in Germany, a prehard steel sphere on a post with dimples around the diameter. Total accuracy was .0004in

I have not been able to find many people with them but one company in Canada and he loves them, he just purchased his second one and says it's better than his hermle. We don't have ours yet but I'm hoping he's right!

The best think I like about it is, how small the machine is and how large the work area is. Our current machine is the same footprint but half the work area and the laser is right smack dab where I'm working all the time

• Like 1

And yes it is designed exactly for graphite and hard milling with thru spindle air/oil mist.

The trunion is sealed and comes with a Keller oil mist/ graphite dust collection system

They did a test cut for me in Germany, a prehard steel sphere on a post with dimples around the diameter. Total accuracy was .0004in

I have not been able to find many people with them but one company in Canada and he loves them, he just purchased his second one and says it's better than his hermle. We don't have ours yet but I'm hoping he's right!

The best think I like about it is, how small the machine is and how large the work area is. Our current machine is the same footprint but half the work area and the laser is right smack dab where I'm working all the time

Keep us updated would like to know how it cuts for you.

• Like 1

you haven't been able to find many people with them because there are only three of them on the entire north american continent, two v9's and a v5, as of about three months ago, according to andew, the tech from mitsubishi (millenium) who works on them. that's the last time i saw him. i expect more will be sold exponentially as word gets around, it's a helluva machine. i've been using a v9 since february. i'm not in a position to compare it to anything else in its class as it is the first five axis mill i've ever used. we bought a couple hermle mill turns at the same time too, and i've been trained on them, but have yet to machine anything with them. 

i do have a suggestion. you must have a good air supply to run the machine. specs are 900 liters/min at 7bar. (32cfm / 102psi) MINIMUM !! if your air supply can't maintain at least that, you're not getting any machining done. we had to add a compressor separate from the shop air system for just my department which consists of the v9 and a roku-roku high speed 3 axis mill. 

what spindle are you getting? we've got the hsk-50 / 36Krpm. 

AhD5KS2.jpg

• Like 1

Again, thanks for all of the input.

It has been very helpful.

As I stated originally we aren't looking for super-precision.

A light duty simultaneous 5-axis mill for production is what I am looking for.

Mostly mill & drill polycarbonate lenses and maybe occasionally mill & drill thin composites.

I have passed the forum input up the chain, so we'll see what they decide. :thumbsup:

suggest not shock your management with the Ingersoll Eagle V9, it's close to 4x the price range you specified. :lol:

I would just to give them idea what good quality high precision cost. Then when they come back with that job that is outside of the quality aspect of the machine they purchased and ask you why you can't get it done you remind them of the machine they passed on not you.

Had a boos years ago in one of our conversations tell me you never tell me yes. I told him him I never tell you want you want to hear. My job is to provide you my best and if my best goes against what I think is the right way to proceed then you pay me to tell you no. You hired me for my experience and if my experience tells me we need to do it a different way then why wouldn't you want me to speak up? I m not saying I didn't do it the way he wanted against what I knew was a better way, but I never just did it because he told me that was the way he wanted it done. I think they are still replacing parts on aircraft after almost 9 years because his way was the better way.

• Like 1