Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

little help with mach sim please

jlw™

If any one can help me out with mach sim i'd be grateful. The tutorial leaves quite a bit to be desired.

So, here's what I've got. I have my machine defined and moving. Parts always go where they're supposed to. My tool even offsets properly from the center of B axis. However, the tip of the tool is not going to where the path should be.

This is not even the center of rotation:

machsim1.png

The tool is offset properly:

machsim2.png

machsim3.png

The -11.81 is

machsim4.png

Any one have any ideas?

• Like 1

If any one can help me out with mach sim i'd be grateful. The tutorial leaves quite a bit to be desired.

So, here's what I've got. I have my machine defined and moving. Parts always go where they're supposed to. My tool even offsets properly from the center of B axis. However, the tip of the tool is not going to where the path should be.

machsim1.png

The tool is offset properly:

machsim2.png

machsim3.png

The -11.81 is

machsim4.png

Any one have any ideas?

Yes where did you build the Zero for all machine components? Where you have the center of the table needs to be the same place all the machine items are built from. Then you use range and limits to control how it looks when using Machine sim. I go a step further an add fixture items to machine sim verse the new way it is being done. We use to be able to define them and some control over them, but now I just don't like the way it work.

also, is there a way to make it go home between tools/ops?

Out of the box No. One of the issues with Machine Sim. One tied to a Post yes. For one not tied to a post use Multiaxis linking and discard after to have it not run through your part or use a Point toolpath and let it mimic your Home position.

I have it built as if it were at home. x0y0z0 home is the little ball thing in the pic. so that should be at cor?

Nope that is wrong. Build as home is the center of the table. Then you will see everything will work from there. All Multi axis toolpaths will rotate from that point why you must make that point the Zero. It stacks the Z axis from the tool tip to the holder and then put the Spindle if separate then the Z axis or if one unit then that up from there to simulate motion from the NCI.

You don't care where machine home is you care where all Multi axis motions will originate from. Then you work out all travel limits and Kinematics from that place.

• Like 1

thanks for pointing me in the right direction Ron. I got it:

machsim.png

Yes sir . Excellent work and glad to see someone else doing what we have been doing for years. On your sample file you sent me play with adding the chuck and other hardware to the file and you will see you can color them and make them look nice for screen shots. What I have done is made copies of the machines and have in those copies the common working holding for that machine. Now I don't have to define them in Machine sim and they come in cleaner and seem to process the toolpaths faster if they are part of the original machine verse brought in through the interface. Just some food for thought.

Looks great. Having finally upgraded to 2017, I'm finally going to learn and take full advantage of the machine simulation feature. No 5-axis machines here but our close partner has a Macturn 5-axis multitasking machine and modeling it would be a start since we are going to write programs for it.

It's good to have machine simulator experts around.

Looks great. Having finally upgraded to 2017, I'm finally going to learn and take full advantage of the machine simulation feature. No 5-axis machines here but our close partner has a Macturn 5-axis multitasking machine and modeling it would be a start since we are going to write programs for it.

It's good to have machine simulator experts around.

Machine Sim doesn't support Lathe/Mill. To get full MT simulation you must purchase the MT product for your specific machine. Funny others allow machine simulation of lathe and milling toolpaths, but Mastercam has not got that point yet outside of MT. Other also allow you to build your own generic Lathe/Mill machines and simulate your toolpaths, but you cannot build your own MT machine.

• Like 1

Dang :( So we have multiaxis license and a valid post for Macturn but can't machine simulate it - still have to buy another piece of software. Sigh... better off simulating 4-axis stuff then.

Lathe is pretty straight forward and since lathe toolpaths still are Milling toolpaths aware for stock updating you are only going to check lathe toolpaths with lathe backplot and verify. Use the Lathe stock preview to take solids from your lathe operations to use in the mill simulation when you check that and you are good to go. That is what jlw will be doing just checking milling toolpaths and what many of us have done since Moduleworks Simulation became available.

Now if you have twin turret all bets are off. Triple or Quad turrets well we have covered that conversation many times.

Dang :( So we have multiaxis license and a valid post for Macturn but can't machine simulate it - still have to buy another piece of software. Sigh... better off simulating 4-axis stuff then.

You can mach sim the milling stuff. I got spoiled with Esprit mach sim. I trusted it to .02in clearances and never once got burned. I have a very good post that is dialed in and I know it's going where I tell it to so I will most likely trust mcam mach sim the same. I only wish I could send it home. I do have posts from postability and it has mach sim stuff all over. When I get time I'll play with that.

Is there any expectation for turning support in mach sim?

I'm also looking forward to seeing more out of cimco mach sim. maybe they will support turning.

That is exactly it, using multi-axis link is also a pseudo fix.  Machine sim does not handle retracts between T/C plane rotations correctly, as it is not tied into the post. I have one that was developed for a particular machine and even that gets funky from time to time switching planes. 

Personally I just add the machine components to my fixture level, to check for collisions in Verify. 

I use WCS all the time and have been using the crap out of mach sim.  KNock on wood no trouble so far.  I only stimulate one path at a time.  Maybe this is it.

Using a WCS with machsim:

Have you ever tried to manually re-position your part on the machine table? :question:

The automatic position will fail with WCS. You may realise that the part will be somewhat in the air. :question:

If you need to find out a realistic position of the part on the machine table because of the machine limits... :no

So, if the position of the part is not important to you...you're fine and you may live with the automatic "somewhat in the air" position. Other than that I would recommend not to use a WCS.

• 1 month later...