Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Store custom notes, comments in Mastercam part file (then post them to NC)

Hi All,

I just wanna to share my NET-Hook what I developed for our community. I always missed this possibility from MCAM, to store custom notes, comments, data, etc THEN post them to NC code.

Or simply just store some info in a MCAM part file. This NET-Hook will store then suggest your last 20 inputs, separately in each field.

You can use it for store your custom data, info, programmer, customer, drawing, whatever you want... Not necessary but you can also output them to any NC code.

Copy all the 3 files from ZIP to Mastercam CHOOK folder, then you good to go. Also I attached a sample post processor, look for "pNote2Post" postblock and calling of this postblock in "pheader$"

section. This postblock will set "sN2Pfield_1...sN2Pfield_7" string variables based on your note fields in MCAM file.

At first run please look for settings to set your custom fields. Any comment, suggestion, idea or bug report are welcomed!

https://app.box.com/s/u8cdt63klci04aoogvqoyuafbnitl765

Main window:

30595146680_9ab15c62b1_o.png

Settings:

30860238736_4429a7623c_o.png

YouTube:

https://youtu.be/SBOgD3HoV60

• Like 8

This looks good. but do you think the info outputted to the code be in parentheses ?

Also when you create these fields like Programmer why does not out put that instead of say output-1.

Don't get me wrong this is a nice tool and I could not make something like this. I see me wanting to use it but, the issues I stated is what stopping me.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

This looks good. but do you think the info outputted to the code be in parentheses ?

Also when you create these fields like Programmer why does not out put that instead of say output-1.

Don't get me wrong this is a nice tool and I could not make something like this. I see me wanting to use it but, the issues I stated is what stopping me.

Keep up the good work.

Those issues are just formatting changes inside the post Jayson. It's very easy to add the parentheses and change the variable names. The important thing  (and the difficult part) is storing the data inside the Mastercam part file, and pushing the output to the NCI data. The issues you describe are just post edits. I haven't had a chance to play with this Nethook yet, but when I do I'll show you what to change in the post...

• Like 2

THANK YOU PETER!

That is amazing work my friend, and so much easier to use than adding a Manual Entry toolpath, and editing the Comment output.

Many thanks.

Thank you for your kind words Colin!

Keep up the good work.

Jay, I really thank you! You give me a great idea, maybe I develop it tomorrow :) Yes, I can output the field name and the field itself together, so make sense for me, will be a switch only in settings.

From the other side, Colin answered all the questions, right here I just made a tool to store some customizable stuff in MCAM files and IF someone want, they'll get 7 string variables in post and

they can customise them for their needs. ;)

Thank you guys! These words are inspires me! :)

Based on Jay's idea, I added a switch to combine/append field name to the field, with or without white space between them.

Also I corrected a bug in autocomplete area, so I strongly suggest to download again using the same link above.

If you installed previous version before, please completely delete the following folder: "C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared Mcam2017\Notes2Post\"

30274698413_23d885a386_o.png

Clean and elegant solution.  I see you are using deleted notes to store the string data, VERY NICE!

I have a similar utility that is a standalone .exe launched at the time of posting, data is saved to an external .txt file (which is not ideal).  This was necessary so it could be used with both standalone Mastercam as well as Mastercam for SolidWorks. 

This type of functionality is very necessary to many end users, hopefully this will be fully integrated someday.

regards,

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...