Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

TR 160 TRUNION FIRST SETUP, NEED HELP WITH CENTER OF ROTATION

MrRidings

I'm new at setting the trunion up we purchased recently a TR 160. The only issue I'm have is finding the center of rotation. I feel I can produce a good program, once I have this number. Here is the information I have so far but its not helping me find the number yet.

We have 2 Jergens Plates at 1.375 each.

a 60mm Jergens Vise

and a pivot of 0.127

Thank you for any help.

Shawn

post-52416-0-47749800-1479208938_thumb.jpg

Pivot the trunnion to 90deg forward. edge find the top of your trunnion table. pivot 90deg back. edge find the top of the table again. difference of the 2 equals the pivot height. should be close to 1/8". take that number as a negative because the pivot point is above table. add the thickness of mounting plate, vise, any parales and your part. in master cam draw you part stock top at the number you calculated. so table is .127 plus 1.375 for each plate plus 60mm for vise plus lets say 3" for your part blank. I get 7.985" to the top of the 3" blank. from the pivot point. draw your blank and part at the height and centered on x and y and start programing.

only thing is if you need to lower your z to clean up the top more you have to move part in mastercam in z . you cant change the g54 which equals center of rotation of x y and z. they never change. you move part in mastercam.

hope that is clear as mud. need help just ask.

• Like 1

Hey Robert
Here is the math we have came up with for the stack up.
-.127 (Pivot)
2.750 (Plates)
3.691 (Bottom of vise to top of edge stock will sit on)
2.500 (material)
= 8.814

So I have Mastercam setup as the WCS is
X0 = center of the Material
y0 = center of the Material
Z0 = -8.814 from top of material down.

So when we run the little program I made to rotate B0 A90 degrees and mill -0.015 and rotate B0 A180 and mill another -0.15 step. We had a problem the first side was -.290 off. we drop Z -.290 and it skim about -0.015 off B0 A90 but wanted to dig in ALOT on B0 A180. So I guess my question is does the machinist touch the top of the material and drop is -8.814 to match what I have on Mastercam or I'm I missing something. Thank you so much for all your help.

Cheers

Shawn

You should never touch the material and move z. Z height is set in mastercam.

A good way to set G54 z is go to B90. A0. And face the stock at say z.250"

Then rotated a180 and cut to z.250" again

Now mic the tab you just milled. Should be .500"

Now offset g54 z 1/2 of the difference of .500" and your part thickness

The machinist should not be altering the work offset; it needs to be exactly at the center of rotation in X Y and Z.  You then make the Mastercam setup match the machine setup.

Here's what I did:

1. Set the A axis at 90°, indicate up and down on the platter to within .0001", and adjust the A axis offset.

2. Indicate along the platter and bump the trunnion alignment in just like setting up a vise.  Clamp it down and check it again.

3. Set the A axis to 0°, check that it's level within .0001".

4. Put on my mounting plate, and a gauge pin in a collet pointing straight up.

5. Find the center of the gauge pin, rotate B 180° and find it again.  The average of these is the center in X and Y; put them in the work offset.

6. Set the A axis to 90° again.  Find the top of the pin, rotate B 180° and find it again.  The average of these, minus the radius of the pin, is your center in Z.  Put it in the offset.

7. Remount the mounting plate on center.

8. Put a vise on the mounting plate and indicate in the B axis.

9. Write your offset down, and/or copy it into another offset for a backup.

Haas now have the same as G68.2 and it works great. but I guess they don't have the option as its an older machine.

as it has been said here never move your G54 after it is set at the center of rotation. if it is not cutting on size then it is in mastercam that there is a problem. once you figure it out you will have fun.

us the different work planes for the diferent faces. front for front back for back left for left and right for right side. in mastercam make sure you program to Z0. incrementle and be careful with your retracks when you start swinging part around. go slow when you prove out program.