Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

(Almost) Free Basic Mill Post Processor Training Course

God bless you Colin... what a great offer and what a great story at the end... I'm in... and I hope I can pay in the way you describe... I'll send you an email with my info.

I took your 5X post course, but that was a bit over my head, so maybe if I do this one, I can go back and revisit the more advanced material at a later date.

Thanks again for this, you're a good man.

• Like 1

Thanks Reko. I figured it was something that I could do to help people, in more ways than one. I have had some people express interest in the class, but couldn't get their employers to pay for it. I hate turning people away. And while I can help people less fortunate in my community (and do), training is something I really enjoy, and it has an effect on my students of hopefully improving their careers over time. So its a win for everyone. I could always just continue to offer paid training classes, but that sets a barrier to entry for those who need it the most.

Colin, you are a great man with a big heart. Thank you for this great opportunity. I like the way you teach and willing to take your course again if you have open spot for me.

Thank you.

Ara.

I'd be happy to Ara. You were a great student and a pleasure to have in class. If I remember correctly, you provided a lot of really great post questions and some sample posts that we worked through.

Please do send me your information again though. It will be easier for me than having to go back and search in old emails. We had kept a lot of information for Eapprentice in some online google docs that I don't have easy access to...

Colin, I have shed a couple of tears reading your post. I am an avid reader of your posts, although I have been retired for some years now and I feel technology went ahead of me. If I were some 30 years younger I would gladly join your class.

This offer in your post could not be any more generous. I have you in very high regard as a very honest, kind and generous person, and you are teaching not only postprocessors, but human values, too.

I feel very humble.

Kind Regards

John

• Like 1

Colin, thanks for helping to keep my faith in human kindness alive & healthy. Thanksgiving has long been my favorite holiday. As a troubled teenager, I hitchhiked around the country for a couple years and the charity & kindness that strangers offered me during those rough times left an everlasting impression upon my soul.

Rest assured that I will be honored to pay the price of the course. I've gladly made more than a few of these paybacks over the last 30 years or so :)

• Like 2

I just wanted to add a note here on the Screen Capture software. Check out the "Movavi" program. Better pricing, and more capability than the others I listed:

• https://www.movavi.c...creen-recorder/ - I'd recommend this software, but make sure you get the "light-weight" version, as it is cheaper. It's only $30 bucks, and no limit on video size. I didn't realize you have to get the "jumbo" recorder with Tiny Take, and that still limits you to 60 minutes. That is lame in my opinion. The "Studio" version of Movavi has a bunch of extra editing stuff. If you plan to do other editing and recording, it might be worth it, but for only this class, just stick with the cheaper version.
  • Here is a link to the store: NOTE: you need to scroll down the page about 2/3rds of the way down. It is "Movavi Screen Capture", not the "Movavi Screen Capture Studio". (It won't hurt to get the "Studio" version, but it's almost double the cost!
  • If you want to go "all out", the very top link is the "Movavi Video Suite", and that software has all kinds of cool features.

Hi Jeremy,

I've had a few people that can't make the time either, so here is what I'll do for you and the others that can't make it:

I'm going to record the sessions, in basically 1 hour (about 50 minute) chunks, using "Movavi", just like everyone who is "live" in the class will. I'll then upload the "raw video" to my DropBox and anyone that requests the download links will get them. (You just have to provide me with the info I requested, so I know you are legit.) <- That comment doesn't apply to you Jeremy, I already know you are a legit user...

• So for anyone that wants the raw video, I'll be happy to provide it to you.
  • You'll have to get a copy of "Movavi", and do the "producing" yourself. That takes some time, but it's really not bad.
  • There is a cheaper version of "Movavi" that I mentioned, "Movavi Screen Capture", which will do the production, but it is kind of "bare bones". For those that are new to making video, this is probably the best option, as there are less controls to worry about.
  • The more expensive option is the "Movavi Screen Capture Studio", which has a lot more "editing" features. If you're going to try and make some "internal training" videos for others in your company, it is only $49.95, so that's not bad. If you are going that route though, the top link on their "Store" page is for the "Movavi Video Suite", and for $60 bucks, it has a ton of functionality. You can do the video production using my raw recordings, but it also has a ton of other features. For the price, that is probably the one I would get, if I didn't already have Camtasia...

EDIT: I decided to make it easier on myself, and everyone else, that I will just record and produce all the class sessions into finished video, and make those available for download. I figured it was better for everyone involved, and I already own Camtasia, so I'll stick with that for the recording and production...

So fear not my friend. You can still get access to the content, and that goes for anyone that is a legit user that makes the request. (I still hope you'll also make an effort to reach out to someone that could use the help...)

Best regards,

Colin

• Like 1

I've been wanting to take one of your post classes for years but there have always been time issues.  :)  I'll definitely send a request for the video's and would be happy to donate some of my time and effort in return.  I usually purchase gift bags from Safeway during the holidays when ever I go shopping; I've never tried any type of a more personal charity as I am a bit of a recluse so this should be interesting.  

• Like 2

Sounds great Dave. I've decided that I'm going to do the production of the videos, and just make the finished videos available for download. I've already got Camtasia, and done the process probably a hundred times, so it just makes it easier on everyone involved I think.

I won't be posting the videos to YouTube, as I fear that would provide a resource to Pirates of the software. So for those that aren't signed up, but would like a copy, I'll be requesting the same information as requested in the initial post in this thread. I've got to be able to verify that you are a legitimate user of the software before I'll be willing to provide download links.

For those of you in the class, or requesting the videos without attending the class sessions, please do not distribute the links or videos to others. (Putting them on an internal company server, and giving other employees at your business access is fine.) Also, please do not upload the video content to YouTube, or any other video sharing site. Piracy is a crime, and I'm grateful to CNC Software for producing Mastercam, so let's all please help keep them in business.

I'll probably also end up hosting the videos on YouTube, just to make it that much easier...

If anyone is still on the fence about signing up, I've got about 10 spots left. (14 signed up so far...)

Thanks!

Colin

• Like 1

The first class was pretty good. (I always have a hard time telling, since I'm the one presenting, not attending.)

We had 18 people sign up, and I think 14 people attended the first session. I believe the longest distance was a student in Romania. I believe he made it through about 4 hours. He signed off at just past 2 am local time. I'm always impressed at the sacrifices some people are willing to make to take my classes. The guys on the West Coast have it the easiest. My class is going from 11am - 6pm for them...

I thought the first class was very informative. Colin does an excellent job, not only does he show "where" and multiple "hows" to find the information you want to change in the post, but he also includes the why and what all is important in getting the proper output. I had taken his post course about 2 years ago, and although part of the material he covered was a repeat, I was still able to pick up many useful things. It is obvious that Colin has been doing this awhile and enjoys it, but I think he's an excellent teacher that can explain the material in a manner that most can understand. I know the material will get much more challenging on part 2 and 3, but part 1 was educational, and even with working 7 hours before the class I was able to keep up.

• Like 4