Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

(Almost) Free Basic Mill Post Processor Training Course

Colin,

I am interested in taking some post training for MasterCam 2017. I seem you were giving some almost free training, but the days you were offering it I was not available. I thought at one time I found a course you taught, but for the some unknown reason I can find the site. If you could direct me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Ed
  • 4 weeks later...

Colin, I may be interested in this as well for the future should you have another one of these again.

However, I'm not sure how this will work for me since I'm deaf ......

Hi Jeremy,

I'd be happy to provide the video files, but I'm not sure how helpful they would be. I will see what kind of options I have for providing closed captioning to go along with the video recording. I know we have done that in the past, we had the written text of what the instructor is saying, an it would accompany the video.

To put that together is a lot of work. We would start with Dragon speech to text software. It does pretty well at giving a clean translation, probably 90-95%, but then someone still has to go through the text, clean it up, and synchronize it to the video.

I can tell you that if you are interested in learning about posts, I'd recommend getting a copy of the documentation from your Reseller, and reading through that. I request that anyone that takes my class gets a copy of the documentation from their Reseller anyway, so that is a good place to start.

Thanks,

Colin

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

I thought I'd give an update of the results of this class. The attendees and the other people that expressed interest deserve that much at least.

When we recorded these classes, there was a bug in the Camtasia recording software that I used to record these sessions. The raw recordings sound like I am speaking from inside a room, that is down the hallway, and someone has a radio tuned to "static" that is playing in the background.

I also can't just release the training videos to an open website like YouTube. The content does need to be protected, as there are countries in which Mastercam is not allowed to be sold, due to I.T.A.R. and E.A.R. restrictions, put in place by the U.S. Department of State. I take my responsibilities about controlling the distribution seriously.

It is also for those reasons that I've decided it would be unwise to just "hand out" the training videos to users that request it, since I'd be relying on them to keep the information from being distributed to Software Pirates, both foreign and domestic.

For these reasons, I've decided to partner with both In-House Solutions (The Canadian Reseller for Mastercam, and the wonderful people who host this site), and Eapprentice.net, to distribute the Basic Post Training course, along with many of my other Mastercam Training Content.

There are still some details to be worked out, but my goal is to make this Basic Post Class available for very little cost. It won't be for free (I did say "Almost" originally), but I want to keep the cost of the course down to make it accessible, while also being mindful of the distribution costs (hosting online video does cost money). One other advantage of putting it behind a "pay wall" is that we'll have an electronic payment record, so we can verify that users are legitimate Mastercam Customers. We will also have a "Virtual Classroom" that will allow me to interact with anyone who signs up for the course, and attach downloads to the course (Posts, Mastercam Part Files, ect.).

I think this will help strike a good balance between helping as many people as I can, while also allowing me to be mindful of my legal obligations.

I will actually be working to make some of my other courses available through Emastercam before I'll have a chance to get to the Basic Post Course. I'd like to get the 2D Milling, 3D Milling, Multi-Axis, Advanced Multi-axis, 2X Lathe, and 4X Lathe courses up on this site.

• Like 8