Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

circular interpolation turning

ABOUSALAH

The link to the video does not work for me but if I understand the image, you want a toolpath that will rotate the tool to always be perpendicular to the cut while doing a circular interpolation in G02 or G03.  The part does not rotate.

If that is the case, I asked my reseller and they said that mastercam does not support such an option.

Regards,

No commercial CAM systems to date offer out of the box functionality to program this, and none is able to simulate it no matter how you develop workarounds. But some customization will allow most them to program it reliably.

Simulation is supported by the major CAx systems though, like Vericut and NCsimul, since their material removal algorithms can cut in all directions using virtually every possible tool shape.

Since they're able to execute machine OEM cycles using the original code, the result is 100% accurate.

Mastercam can support it, but you need to understand the process of what you are trying to accomplish. Hypermill and a few other CAM programs can fake it like I am about to mention. The best way in Mastercam is to program a 5 Axis toolpath for anything that is not straight on. For straight on bores it is just a simple drilling cycle to achieve this, but for complex shapes a 5 Axis toolpath can help the programmer cheat it in so to speak. Needs to be a constant spiral process verses a step by step process. The idea is to keep the tip of the lathe tool normal o the cut while moving the machine spindle and then you are moving the other axis to achieve such motion. There was thread not to long ago covering this very topic in the Machine/Tooling area of the forum. Back to the process you need to use some post magic to activate the codes needed to run on the machine. Program for the radius of the insert as a ball endmill and should be good to go. It would take me a day or two working on the machine that has the capability and I think I could dial in a process that worked out pretty well.

I think this is the video he wanted so show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV66ZLdhizA

Here is a video showing a sample done with Mastercam

https://youtu.be/2Zi60gZuSvU?t=7m31s

In cooperation with the company Matsuura, the german Mastercam reseller WDS Software & Service GmbH has developed a postprocessor for the interpolation turning on a horizontal milling machine. The post-processor allows the turning on a milling machine. The minimum requirement regarding the Mastercam software is a Lathe Entry Module

Hello

Thanks you Mgrenier for your answer.
I think mastercam is able to handle this function. There is another system like edgecam capable of programming this function.
thanks you

Edgecam cannot simulate it or program it out of the box.

I think you´re confusing this functionality with the facing head support that was added in Edgecam 2016 R2.