Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

best way to remove material when cutting large pocket ?

mig

HS Area Mill will do a good job with that. I tend to use Area Mill for pocketing... and Dynamic for Core, or outside shapes... but not exclusively, so use your best judgement.

Use the biggest cutter you have that your machine can handle... then use HS Area Mill again with the Rest Rough feature... and a smaller EM to mill the leftover inside rads.

I usually drop by halves... so if you start with a 2" face mill... after that, go to a rest rough with a 1"... then rest rough again with 1/2" EM and so on until the smallest rads are taken care of.

• Like 2

Hello ,

What is the best way to remove material when cutting large pocket ?

pocket size : 37 x 14 x 2.5 inch

material  : p20 steel

what  toolpath  type would you prefer?

Floored pocket or open pocket? I open cut out the rem and use it for other parts. If closed floor then what was mentioned is a good way to go about it.

Hello everybody

my machine  is vmc  Genos  560 . Strong enough .

So far my strategy is   HS area mill  by 2 inch dia   sendvik button cutter  ,0.5 dia inserts  1030 grade .

Problem is  code became  way long . Why in this situation mastercam divide straight  linear movement on bunch small linear blocks ? 

Is it possible to fix it ? Some filter setting ?

Here are my fiter settings... might help... I usually run 30-70 because it is a nice mix of program length and shorter calculation time. If the goal is less code tho, try 5-95... should shorten your program by about 20%... but then the calculation time increases quite a lot.

These new toolpaths just put out a lot of code, not very much you can do about that.

post-25851-0-25060400-1481053663_thumb.png

Hello everybody

my machine  is vmc  Genos  560 . Strong enough .

So far my strategy is   HS area mill  by 2 inch dia   sendvik button cutter  ,0.5 dia inserts  1030 grade .

Problem is  code became  way long . Why in this situation mastercam divide straight  linear movement on bunch small linear blocks ? 

Is it possible to fix it ? Some filter setting ?

Its intentionally designed to function this way to keep the angle of engagement consistent through the whole cut. If you want less code you will have to legacy pocket it for less code.

In that situation the lead in/out is what is going to be the main difference.  The pocket path will not have the "curl up" and "curl down" lead in and out.  Pocket is going to helix or bury.  Can you post a file?  HS Area is one of my goto's.

If you are linearizing I've seen an 8mb post go to 31kb by filtering.  With out a file or more info I can't help.

We cut a lot of stuff like that in P20 and HH P20. We have several 2" insert cutters from different manufactures. Just did a demo with the Seco high feed 6 in 2". It smoked everything else we have. Both in speed and insert life.

• Like 1

We cut a lot of stuff like that in P20 and HH P20. We have several 2" insert cutters from different manufactures. Just did a demo with the Seco high feed 6 in 2". It smoked everything else we have. Both in speed and insert life.

the Seco rep came here yesterday with this new cutter , i can't wait to try it , the insert is way beefier than our mitsubishi ADX and tungalloy feed mills 

You  mean  2 inch dia  6 inserts  ?