Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Scallop (constant-Z) with continuous ramping ability

SlaveCam

Well, I found out why it is making those insert-destroying "drilling" movements: they appear when total filtering tolerance is set to 0.1 but at 0.01 they do not. And if it's set to 0.01, the program won't fit in our Nintendo's memory! 

Edit: there seems to be no logic whatsoever in when those movements appear, but it is related to the filtering tolerance.

engrish?

Fingrish.

I always install my software in English since it's always so much easier to find information and not spend time guessing the translations (but I admit, every Mastercam machinist should know what waterline means in the native language!!!). 

Hmm... it seems waterline IS what I used in the screenshot above.. I tried an older version whose installation is in english and it looked exactly like it!

But back to the original question: does anyone know if it's actually possible to make it go ramp all the way down? Our fast feed mills are designed for ramping and it would be superior performance that way!

does anyone know if it's actually possible to make it go ramp all the way down? Our fast feed mills are designed for ramping and it would be superior performance that way!

You can do a smooth toolpath with triangular mesh from Moduleworks (with 3 axis tool axis control) if you have a multiaxis seat.

This toolpath is not well known because it's usually used with rotary axis but it can be very useful with a 3-axis machine too.

However, your post may need customization as it will output gcode$=11 in NCI file.

Here is an example.

post-2201-0-11518000-1481205950_thumb.jpg

TriangularMesh.mcam

Hmm... it seems waterline IS what I used in the screenshot above.. I tried an older version whose installation is in english and it looked exactly like it!

But back to the original question: does anyone know if it's actually possible to make it go ramp all the way down? Our fast feed mills are designed for ramping and it would be superior performance that way!

I use surface highspeed waterline & play with the transitions ramp angle till I get a usable path.

You can do a smooth toolpath with triangular mesh from Moduleworks (with 3 axis tool axis control) if you have a multiaxis seat.

This toolpath is not well known because it's usually used with rotary axis but it can be very useful with a 3-axis machine too.

However, your post may need customization as it will output gcode$=11 in NCI file.

Here is an example.

attachicon.giftriangularmesh.jpg

attachicon.gifTriangularMesh.mcam

That's what I'm talking about! :) Got to try it out tomorrow, hopefully I'll get something out of it.

Here is an example.

attachicon.giftriangularmesh.jpg

attachicon.gifTriangularMesh.mcam

Yeah, I love the functionality of the triangular mesh paths, but our post processors generate really weird feedrates.

Probably your post outputs inverse time feedrates (on each block) as this toolpath is a 'multiaxis' toolpath in NCI file even if it s locked in 3 axis. It shouldn't be an issue though.

The last time I tried it I got something like 368 F0 outputs, and around 120 seemingly random F100 outputs, this was on a toolpath that was set to F16. I was pretty sure that was gonna be an issue :laughing:

Too bad, i can't post with it as it's linked with your SIM. Worst part is that important postblocks (pmx$, plin$ and probably feed calculations) are binned so you can't make it work by yourself... You will need to ask Postability to tweak their post to support that toolpath. Sorry.

Yeah, that's what I figured too. Thanks for taking a look though.