Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Scallop (constant-Z) with continuous ramping ability

SlaveCam

We're always very much interested in diagnosing and resolving any potential post issues.  Just need you to forward your Zip2Go via your reseller.

We still might, but I gotta convince management to pay for it. In the mean time MC has so many different ways to attack a problem, that I can always find an alternate solution. laser.gif

We still might, but I gotta convince management to pay for it. In the mean time MC has so many different ways to attack a problem, that I can always find an alternate solution. laser.gif

I don't want to speak for Dave but Postability doesn't typically charge for fixes.....mods, yes, fixes, not in my experience.

• 3 years later...
On 12/8/2016 at 7:32 AM, David Colin said:

You can do a smooth toolpath with triangular mesh from Moduleworks (with 3 axis tool axis control) if you have a multiaxis seat.

This toolpath is not well known because it's usually used with rotary axis but it can be very useful with a 3-axis machine too.

However, your post may need customization as it will output gcode$=11 in NCI file.

Here is an example.

post-2201-0-11518000-1481205950_thumb.jpg

TriangularMesh.mcam

Apologies Mastercam for resurrecting an old topic.

It seems that all of the moduleworks Triangular Mesh toolpaths are treated as 5-axis. None of the 4/5x posts would output axis M-lock codes.

Let the cuttype be controlled by the tool axis control, post problem solved!

Why waterline or surface finish contour does not have spiral cutting method. Most of the surface roughing toolpaths almost always leave more stock than specified anyways: not a problem for aluminum, yet a huge problem for Inconel.  Am I missing something here?

2 hours ago, Joe777 said:

Apologies Mastercam for resurrecting an old topic.

It seems that all of the moduleworks Triangular Mesh toolpaths are treated as 5-axis. None of the 4/5x posts would output axis M-lock codes.

Let the cuttype be controlled by the tool axis control, post problem solved!

Why waterline or surface finish contour does not have spiral cutting method. Most of the surface roughing toolpaths almost always leave more stock than specified anyways: not a problem for aluminum, yet a huge problem for Inconel.  Am I missing something here?

Need to talk your post builder and have that logic added if that is a problem. Have you tried seeing if the post has an Axis Combination for  3 Axis, 4 Axis or 5 Axis. maybe that might be the way to get the post to not output the 5 Axis clamp unclamps not needed for your machine when you don't want them. Some post have a switch to not put them as well.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:53 PM, crazy^millman said:

Need to talk your post builder and have that logic added if that is a problem. Have you tried seeing if the post has an Axis Combination for  3 Axis, 4 Axis or 5 Axis. maybe that might be the way to get the post to not output the 5 Axis clamp unclamps not needed for your machine when you don't want them. Some post have a switch to not put them as well.

It's an old proven Mam72-35 post done by the House. Everything works great expect for Triangual Mesh toolpath's: I modified the post to force the Lock through the misc op variable but I don't like it. It's clearly not a post issues.

4 hours ago, Joe777 said:

It's an old proven Mam72-35 post done by the House. Everything works great expect for Triangual Mesh toolpath's: I modified the post to force the Lock through the misc op variable but I don't like it. It's clearly not a post issues.

That makes me think it is post related since depending on how old the post is it may not have the logic built to support that toolpath in 3 Axis correctly. 

2 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

That makes me think it is post related since depending on how old the post is it may not have the logic built to support that toolpath in 3 Axis correctly. 

Mr. Bouman do you mind testing any of yours in-house  posts  through Triangular Mesh toolpath?

On 6/28/2020 at 2:42 PM, Joe777 said:

Try it.

port.mcam

Not at all how I would run a port, flowline wouldn't be my first choice (or a choice at all for a port) but since I perceived this as a challenge here ya go.

It has 2 retracts but also has that nice morph lead in/out so if I were inclined to use flowline on a port I would let this run.

image.thumb.png.9a7beefff9468a9d7513b282d702c96d.png

port.mcam

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2020 at 11:48 PM, jlw™ said:

Not at all how I would run a port, flowline wouldn't be my first choice (or a choice at all for a port) but since I perceived this as a challenge here ya go.

It has 2 retracts but also has that nice morph lead in/out so if I were inclined to use flowline on a port I would let this run.

port.mcam

On 6/29/2020 at 9:39 AM, crazy^millman said:

I think the best process is to email your dealer who can get a hold of their post department. 

Imho, It's an issue of how Mastercam handles Moduleworks Triangular mesh toolpath's .  The post is fine.

On 6/29/2020 at 11:48 PM, jlw™ said:

port.mcam

Thank you for your effort.

Perhaps this port was a bad example. I mostly use this toolpath for roughing purposes. The problem becomes more apparent when you try to rough an odd shape from the outside.