Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

what is a good combination of processor and ram for 5 axis programming

Jeff2005

post-46432-0-24470300-1482264095_thumb.png

I've only ever bogged down once... the file was about 350MB and I was running a colliosn check in CAMplete AND running a verification session in Mastercam. I used up 100% of RAM and 100% on all cores of CPU utilization. My poor laptop sounded like a server farm. :rofl:

Other than that, this has been a good 5-Axis rig. I have a 512GB SSD and an NVidia Quadro K5100M video Card @ 8GB....

I7-6700K with 64GB RAM here.  At my previous shop doing die cast molds I'd max the RAM (32GB there) with stock models fairly frequently, but here doing 5ax on small medical parts I haven't come close.  Cache is important, and so is clock speed and execution per clock.  The usefulness of core count seems to diminish past four cores.  Also, while this is a topic of much debate, I've found that for most purposes in Mastercam, the GeForce gaming cards give you better bang for the buck.  You do need a Quadro though if you're running Solidworks or processing large assemblies.  For storage go SSD all the way; I'm running a pair of Samsung 950 Pro 512's.

For the record I have run mcam on gforce 870, 960 and 1080 and onboard and to my eyes it's practically indistinguishable.

I have also ran Solidworks and Solidedge on the same with no issues except for LARGE assemblies. Some of you have seen my kind of stuff... very large assemblies, many component and maybe I'm blind but the geforce rocks it everytime.

• Like 2

Honestly as much as you are allowed to get then up it by 25% so you are covered for the next few years. Funny people go out and spends several $100K on machines and tooling and fixtures for 5 Axis and then think a $500 computer should be all the programmer needs. A investment in the programmer is a over looked investment in most companies.

• Like 7

Pretty much what was said above. I'd go with a 6700K for the clock speed and if you get it from the right place I'd have it overclocked. 32G of ram and definitely a GeForce card. I finally convinced the powers that be to try one out, so I put a GTX 980 in a computer I had built earlier this year and it rocks in Mastercam. Don't waste your money on a Quadro. And please don't waste your money on a Xeon.

Kevin K.

Xeon is a good investment, but you need to spend some real money to get the correct number of cores and processor speed to gain the maximum benefits. I put a 2.7ghz 12 core Xeon against my new I-7 6920 3.5ghx over clocked processing the same toolpath. The Xeon processed the toolpath in 27 minutes and the I-7 took 42 minutes. The cores are the difference they both have 64 gigs of Ram and both are running SSD drives and both have Quardo Video cards. The Xeon has 12 cores and the I-7 has 8 cores even though for a laptop it at the time 3 months ago was top of the line. I am not complaining about my laptop, but I have done my own tests and if I had $20k to spend on the right Xeon processor to really test what I think is the right one again an I-7 I would think it would win hands down on the high end very involved 500+ operations  1 gig files I am talking about. Day to day stuff not going to see much difference, but high end really involved parts where you want the maximum bang for the buck then the company has decide how much waiting on the computer is acceptable.

I did a time study for a customer where I showed they were wasting $250k a year for 5 programmers not getting them new computers. The programmers had been logging wait times because they were stuck in X5 because that was how old the computer were. I showed them in the laptop how much faster I was processing the same toolpaths. They gave me those times and I was able to show the management why they needed to get better computers. They started with one and with a month they could see the truth and got all 5 programmers better computers. Not what I called out, but it was better. People lose the real cost of time, if a programmer is waiting on a computer the whole process is waiting. Now if the work is scheduled correctly and correct amount of time given for jobs to allow for that wait not a big deal. However I am seeing more and more of model released for production 2 weeks to 10 months late from engineering for the delivery schedule and now manufacturing must make miracles happen. In those cases the programmer needs as much horsepower as possible.

• Like 3

It always seems that engineering and tool design can slide their dates but then manufacturing has to make it up.

Yes then add purchasing into the equation and it gets real fun. They can be months late getting the model and drawings released, but you now must get it done to the originally agreed upon delivery that you had no part coming with to being with.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the great suggestions, this helps greatly.  I forgot to mention one thing.  We are programming forms with a high amount of surface patches.  I would think this is a factor as well.

Some good suggestions in here. Don't overlook the Intel Xtreme cpu's, they are expensive but very powerful.

If you build a computer yourself, expect to spend upwards of $3000 for what you need, based off of the type of work you will be doing.

If you buy pre-built, that same computer will cost you quite a bit more, probably $500-$1000 more. And some places that I won't mention here  are just bending you over in pricing. They will charge you $6000 for that $3000 computer.

From what I am hearing.  The concentration would be toward the CPU, and  Less focus on the RAM with a great video card.

I spec'd out a system, and upon searching for different items for the computer.  I did find somethings very interesting, to say the least.

I did not know that 1 terabyte of memory exists.  Yes, you heard right.  So i was curious at the price.  35,000.00 for 1 Terabyte of RAM.

Some of you guys that has kept up with the computers evolution would roll your eyes at me. I obviously have not kept of with it.

Anyway, When I finally came to my senses after looking at the price of an out of reach memory.  I spec'd out one for 3900.00.

Well that may go over, with management like a lead balloon.

thanks guys.

From what I am hearing.  The concentration would be toward the CPU, and  Less focus on the RAM with a great video card.

I spec'd out a system, and upon searching for different items for the computer.  I did find somethings very interesting, to say the least.

I did not know that 1 terabyte of memory exists.  Yes, you heard right.  So i was curious at the price.  35,000.00 for 1 Terabyte of RAM.

Some of you guys that has kept up with the computers evolution would roll your eyes at me. I obviously have not kept of with it.

Anyway, When I finally came to my senses after looking at the price of an out of reach memory.  I spec'd out one for 3900.00.

Well that may go over, with management like a lead balloon.

thanks guys.

What is your shop rate? What are the number of machines you are programming? Do a simple time study to show the value of the computer. Make them want to buy you this because they see the value in saving the company money and not as spending money, but investing in the on shoring or re shoring of your organization. 

Huh? Well lets do a sample time study and see if you follow what I am thinking here. I programmed for 14 machines at one shop so we will use 10 as our base. Lets take a very low shop rate of $50/hr. Now lets say you normally have 10 hours of idle time in your shop a week waiting on programs for all machines. That is 1 hours for each machine in your shop per week. That waiting because you have a less than best system is costing the company $500 a week in losses it would seem, but no it is really costing them $1000 a week in losses because of the 2 for 1 rule. One hour lost is 2 hours, because the one hour could have been used on something else it now lost. It will take 2 hours the week after to make up the one hour lost the week before. Now in one year your company is losing $50K a year (gave 2 weeks vacation) by having a sub par system. If you felt having the system would gain you that lost time then you have just show them a 10 times return on their investment. Again very conservative $50/hr shop rate. Time is money and money is time and some times you have to teach management the real cost of not spending money verses spending money they think is not important.

• Like 1

Xeon is a good investment, but you need to spend some real money to get the correct number of cores and processor speed to gain the maximum benefits. I put a 2.7ghz 12 core Xeon against my new I-7 6920 3.5ghx over clocked processing the same toolpath. The Xeon processed the toolpath in 27 minutes and the I-7 took 42 minutes. The cores are the difference they both have 64 gigs of Ram and both are running SSD drives and both have Quardo Video cards. The Xeon has 12 cores and the I-7 has 8 cores even though for a laptop it at the time 3 months ago was top of the line. I am not complaining about my laptop, but I have done my own tests and if I had $20k to spend on the right Xeon processor to really test what I think is the right one again an I-7 I would think it would win hands down on the high end very involved 500+ operations  1 gig files I am talking about. Day to day stuff not going to see much difference, but high end really involved parts where you want the maximum bang for the buck then the company has decide how much waiting on the computer is acceptable.

I did a time study for a customer where I showed they were wasting $250k a year for 5 programmers not getting them new computers. The programmers had been logging wait times because they were stuck in X5 because that was how old the computer were. I showed them in the laptop how much faster I was processing the same toolpaths. They gave me those times and I was able to show the management why they needed to get better computers. They started with one and with a month they could see the truth and got all 5 programmers better computers. Not what I called out, but it was better. People lose the real cost of time, if a programmer is waiting on a computer the whole process is waiting. Now if the work is scheduled correctly and correct amount of time given for jobs to allow for that wait not a big deal. However I am seeing more and more of model released for production 2 weeks to 10 months late from engineering for the delivery schedule and now manufacturing must make miracles happen. In those cases the programmer needs as much horsepower as possible.

I would be interested to compare that Xeon to my I7 Extreme. I have considered getting a Xeon but you have to spend three times the money to get the same performance in most cases. The only reason its still on the table for me is because of the ECC memory. I'm curious if the ECC memory would help the software run more stable. 

I'm a firm believer in the Quadro line of cards, I have a K5200 and it is by far better than any other card I have used to date. It takes some insane models to slow this thing down. 

Overall there is no magic combination when it comes to a programming rig. Get the biggest processor with the highest clock speed you can afford, 32Gb ram, a high powered Nvidia card and a SSD and you will be good.

I have the Quadro K5100M (8GB) also... it's one seriously awesome card. It isn't cheap, but worth every penny. It'll drive 3 external monitors AND the laptop monitor if I want. :yes: I only run 2 external monitors and the laptop display though... the 3rd monitor just sat empty so I took it off. Typically I'll run CATIA, Autodesk Inventor, or Fusion 360 on one screen, Mastercam on another, and CAMplete on the other. All shaded models, no issues whatsoever.

What I do when it's time for new workstations (I try to make mine last 3 years) is I make my boss sit through me doing a demo. :rofl: Before the demo is done, he's like "... send your list to our vendor...". :rofl:

Sometimes you got tie the boss down (figuratively speaking of course), but do it. Force them to sit there while you crunch something. They'll get the picture and it'll become real to them.

Three years is a LONG life for a road warrior's laptop that is his ONLY workstation. CAD/CAM software and model complexity increase A LOT over that 3 year span. Over the last 2 years, I've probably flown 120-ish flight legs. Installed and uninstalled EVERY Beta Release of MC from then until now...

My rig... she gets rode HARD. She only gets the most demanding projects. 5 years... 3 years is bad enough. 5 would be unbearable.