Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chip resistant gloves

No such thing exist, that's for sure, but there must be something better than what I'm currently forced to use by my employer. It says "ActiveWear PU Super Lite" on the back of the glove and I spend more time picking up splinters under my skin than doing actual work. They are true chip magnets. And it seems I'm genetically so ungifted that I am not able to grow skin thick enough not to be annoyed by this all the time.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I use to mix gloves depending on the chips. Kevlar and leather or Surgical and Kevlar or Surgical and Leather. Really came down to what I was dealing with. Aluminum was normally just leather. SS was a mix and it really came down to wet or dry chips. Shoveled my share of chips over the years. Not much anymore, but sometimes when I am at a customers shop and see a mess I clean it up. Amazes people to see an outsider person caring more about the look of a machine than their own employees, but I am not to good to mop the floor, clean out the chip pan or wipe a machine down. I was in one shop and the table was all pitted up and looked terrible. I got out my diamond files and stone and spent a good hour stoning it down. Not one person cared or bothered to see what I was doing. The manager's comment was wow I wished our guys cared enough to do that. I said they only care if you make them care. Sorry that responsibility fall back on you as much as them.

Never used gloves for anything other than cleaning out a machine and picking up piles to get into the barrel/chip bin....

To me gloves around either a spinning part or tool is a recipe for major problems, like long sleeves and rings

Never used gloves for anything other than cleaning out a machine and picking up piles to get into the barrel/chip bin....

To me gloves around either a spinning part or tool is a recipe for major problems, like long sleeves and rings

or long hair

I've seen a guy get his face pulled into a 3 jaw chuck on a manual lathe

Gloves are OK for handling chips.. but you should never wear them when a spindle is turning....especially on manual equipment

I agree with the no gloves around spindles rule for the most part, but there are exceptions. We work with many refractory metals that require chips to be removed as a continuous string when lathe turning. As you can imagine, the chips are like razor wire, so we use many different kinds of cut resistant gloves depending on the material and operation. I haven't found any that will keep chips out, but I would suggest something that has a rubber coating that might help repel the slivers. Take a look at various cut resistant gloves such as G-Tek 3GX. There are many gloves similar to this, and I'm sure there's something that would provide some measure of protection. Might be time to contact your safety supplier and see what they can offer.

I don't think I'd be at all interested in that task even with cut resistant gloves. How about a suction tube positioned near the tool tip?

The chips will not break no matter what you do. We have had some limited success with Cryogenic machining to get the chips to break, but are still in the testing phase. It is definitely a dangerous situation, but we have developed processes to deal with it the best we can. Specialty alloys are a different beast for sure!

or long hair

I've seen a guy get his face pulled into a 3 jaw chuck on a manual lathe

Saw an old hippy get his looooooong, braided, pony tail caught in a boring mill. Phukin scalped him. :sick:

The foreman unwrapped it from the spindle, threw it some poor schmucks cooler/lunch box and sent it in the ambulance with the dude. They reattached it.

Cheap owner wouldn't even buy the guy who involuntarily donated his lunchbox a new one. :laughing:

I agree with the no gloves around spindles rule for the most part, but there are exceptions. We work with many refractory metals that require chips to be removed as a continuous string when lathe turning. As you can imagine, the chips are like razor wire, so we use many different kinds of cut resistant gloves depending on the material and operation. I haven't found any that will keep chips out, but I would suggest something that has a rubber coating that might help repel the slivers. Take a look at various cut resistant gloves such as G-Tek 3GX. There are many gloves similar to this, and I'm sure there's something that would provide some measure of protection. Might be time to contact your safety supplier and see what they can offer.

Maybe use a pair of pliers in each hand.  Might take a bit of practice but it would keep fingers out of harms way.