Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapping Titanium

Use a Moly Tap-Lube and not coolant on the holes. I did thread form Ti many years ago, but it is frowned upon by most since it does have some embrittlement issues. I was never able to have some test done on parts to see if like other metals the threads were stronger and not weaker. Boeing and Mil-Specs don't allow it so I suggest you tap it. At that size I worry more about RPM and syncing the spindle to the motion. I have even used floating tap holders on smaller tapes to allow for any machine deviations to not break a tap off. If you do break one you can burn it out as long as you don't burn the Ti doing so.

• Like 1

I have some #4-40 blind holes to tap .300" deep or so and it's been years since I worked with this crap.

Any tips, suggestions, things to look out for?

I'm going to be using the Guhring series 2912 modified bottoming tap, running at 15sfpm.

http://www.guhring.com/Documents/Catalog/Tools/2912.pdf

Carmex Hardcut thread mills

http://www.carmex.com/page.php?instance_id=4&actions=show&id=875

• Like 3

I've been threadmilling in 17-4 and Ti grade 5 with no issues down to 2-56 using Harvey's single-profile threadmills for hard steels:

http://www.harveytool.com/prod/Thread-Milling-Cutters/Holemaking---Threading/Browse-Our-Products_271/Thread-Milling-Cutters---Single-Form---For-Hardened-Steel_199.aspx

It does tend to roll a burr in Ti, so I find it helps to re-skim the countersink, minor, and thread in that order after initially cutting the feature.

• Like 1

Hmm I forgot about threadmilling.

How would an AlTin coated threadmill work in Titanium?

I only have 18 holes.

Take Matt's advice. Buy a Harvey or Micro 100 small single point thread mill, and be done quickly. Especially with only 18 holes, you'll be done in no time. If you get a decent tool, you should be able to use it for a range of pitches in the future. I'd recommend buying a couple in different sizes, just to have them on hand when needed. I'd always prefer to thread mill when possible, it sure beats burning out a broken tap. And when a thread mill tool wears out, you can pop another one in, touch it off, and re-cut the same thread. (As long as the tools are consistent in how they are ground...)

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

It's been awhile since i've machined titanium, But if i recall tapping 4-40 with a 3flute osg exo with ridgid dark tap goo. 200rpm, .025ipr and would feed down .100 and reverse out, blast chips from hole and tap then reapply goo to hole and tap then feed z-.200, etc etc. Could probably do it in 2 whacks if tap drill was stepped up a size bigger. Giving the tap a easy start with a lead chamfer to suit.

Threadmill and be done with it.

Did some 2-56 @ .310 Deep (using a single point thread mill) and got hundreds of holes out of most threadmills. 2fl.

10,000 RPM @ 2.25 IPM (Tool diameter was .065) were the cutting specifics.

IN addition, WHEN a tool broke, we were able to remove the broken carbide touch off a new tool and get on with it again. Tapping, not so much.

JM2CFWIW

:coffee:

Threadmill and be done with it.

Did some 2-56 @ .310 Deep (using a single point thread mill) and got hundreds of holes out of most threadmills. 2fl.

10,000 RPM @ 2.25 IPM (Tool diameter was .065) were the cutting specifics.

IN addition, WHEN a tool broke, we were able to remove the broken carbide touch off a new tool and get on with it again. Tapping, not so much.

JM2CFWIW

:coffee:

Wise words.