Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I need a scanned guitar neck converted please

poolrod2

This is one functionality I wish CNC would add. I would love to be able to take an stl from verify and make an actual solid out of it. It would make repositioning much easier plus I would like to be able to be able to modify it with model prep.

• Like 3

What are you looking to do with it?  This will make all the difference in the world.  Are you looking to just make it as is, reverse engineer it and make some changes, or just have a cleaner looking model for some sort of graphics rendering?

I would like to reverse engineer it and just have it as a solid to make toolpath surfaces and normal wireframe. Right now I can only select the whole model for machining. I would like to just select the neck radius to hemstitch, etc etc. Thank you for your time.

You are not going to be able to do much with that STL. The points collected were not do close enough. You didn't get enough density on the fret boards. I would have requested the scanning be a .01 filter settings. The person who scanned this for you did an okay job for playing around, but if you want to do something real with that you have some work ahead of you. I would slice the STL and create my own splines and rework them to make a lofted surface. Looking at a good 20 to 40 hours worth of work turning that into what I would call usable. Verisurf could do something with it, but those fret boards would be removed and done after the fact. Like to see what others do with that.

Thank you for your time everyone, I would build the neck without the fret board, and have an igs and step file without it if that is even workable?. Thank you for your time. They are full of the same split surfaces also.

Anything is possible, but it comes with a cost and seems like you are doing this for fun? If this is for production parts then you need to invest the time to get the process. If you are doing this for yourself then invest the time into making what you need happen. Again not sure who scanned it, but they need to give you more density on the scan in my opinion.

Some scanners will just create the "mesh" data for you, and you are stuck with doing a manual process, using the "point cloud" data to reverse engineer the surfaces/solid faces. There is more powerful software out there that can then take that Mesh data and build real surfaces/solids from it, much easier than you can inside Mastercam.

Ron, do you know what kind of options Verisurf has for this? I know they have some pretty powerful reverse engineering tools for building surfaces/solids from that scanned data, but I have no personal experience with it.

The tool that I've seen that does the best job is RapidForm. That software is expensive, but if you are working with Scanned Data, it is amazing at turning that back into Surfaces/Solids. In fact, I believe it almost exclusively creates Solid Models from that Point Cloud data.

I know Steve Kidd at Cimtech (WA State Masercam Reseller) offers Reverse Engineering services where his company not only scans the part, but will then build you a Solid Model from that data. Depending on how much your time is worth, and if this is a personal project, vs. a work project, it might be cheaper to just farm out the work to a company that specializes in Reverse Engineering (like Cimtech).

Thank you, guys, this is a wood shop project for my daughter is all it is, the school was donated a nice sized cnc router, and a friend loaned us a guitar neck to program. A company scanned it as a training project for a couple of billiard lessons. I was just hoping there was a reverse engineering tool that would get this so I could just pick the neck radius and transitions to the head and heel without selecting the whole model. The programming is easy, just using 6 tabs and flipping it 180 to cut the other side.

Thank you, guys, this is a wood shop project for my daughter is all it is, the school was donated a nice sized cnc router, and a friend loaned us a guitar neck to program. A company scanned it as a training project for a couple of billiard lessons. I was just hoping there was a reverse engineering tool that would get this so I could just pick the neck radius and transitions to the head and heel without selecting the whole model. The programming is easy, just using 6 tabs and flipping it 180 to cut the other side.

All you want is a basic profile of the neck? None of the radius transitions? Here is what Verisurf did with this file in about 5 minutes. If you can use it great, but anything more than that would require a lot more work. I had to create a drop box link because this file got huge quick.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jska1i6kch46z9n/Neck%20Surfaces.mcam?dl=0

• Like 1

All you want is a basic profile of the neck? None of the radius transitions? Here is what Verisurf did with this file in about 5 minutes. If you can use it great, but anything more than that would require a lot more work. I had to create a drop box link because this file got huge quick.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jska1i6kch46z9n/Neck%20Surfaces.mcam?dl=0

Could you save it as a stp or igs by chance?.

This is one functionality I wish CNC would add. I would love to be able to take an stl from verify and make an actual solid out of it. It would make repositioning much easier plus I would like to be able to be able to modify it with model prep.

+1.

Looking at AlbertZini's post, I learnt that Autodesk offered it with inventor.

But it's available on subscription only, and as I gave them the bird because I WANT MY PERPETUAL LICENCE, I will live with cutting my nose off to spite my face.

:D

You my not realize the extremely difficult and complexity of this request, but taking STL and turning into in Solid is not a simple task. STL by it's very nature is not meant to be a water tight process. It is meant to be a lossey goosey representation of a real model. The idea is the more complex and involved shapes can be represented by a bunch of points or triangles without having to make the file so big to make a True Solid definition. A true solid is just that a real representation of something. Movie sets are just for the most parts a facade of a building with nothing inside that is real. If they need a real building and need to build one they will, but for most money shoots a representation fo the real thing is good enough. Why is that done? To keep cost down and allow the movie to be made in a timely fashion. Same thing with making STL in the software for doing what is done. Funny almost every software has this process, but they just do a better job of hiding it. You want a real solid that represents the machining operations you do what I did for years. I would backplot the toolpaths and use the back plotted geometry to make solids from. Yes I could spend more time making solids for machined parts than the actual program. There is CAM Software that do a good job with Stock Model, but even the best as far as I am aware still have difficulty taking the STL and making a good clean solid from it. This part is a good example of why it is so difficult. Someone did an okay job of scanning and you can make an okay part from it, but if you want exact you would have done it completely different in my opinion.

• Like 1