Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MTM brands

We have a ton of blade work coming in and feel we could really use a nice MTM. We have the Mazak reps coming by to talk to them about our options. I have tried to get a hold a DMG Mori for a quote but haven't heard anything back yet. Is there any other companies we should look into?

This is like similar to what we are looking for.

• Like 1

thats my daily work, blades, blades, blades

we have 5 Mazak I200S  2 420H e-towers and 10 VCN 510 machines machines making blades,

I'm also testing a DMG Mori CTX 800, 840D control. We have just one on the floor for now.

So far the CTX is the power house with that control but the mazaks do a great job too, not as fast as the DMG tho

The Multus U3000 and U4000 both have lower turrets. The I-100 to I-400 also have lower turrets. I would steer away from a Live tooling turret machine and stick with a true B axis machine. You need to think about life on the live tooling holders for the lower turret if you are going to be doing a lot of machining using both the B axis and Lower turret like the video shows. Might look at the 2:1 live tooling heads if you are cutting softer metals.

• Like 2

The Multus U3000/4000 machines as some have mentioned in this thread, would work well for this application.

I spent some time on a U3000 at Okuma in Charlotte, and it is a very capable machine. I'm waiting for our U3000 to be installed (building still being finished for the new machine shop).

WFL is another VERY nice machine. Though it depends on size. I believe they don't make smaller machines.

Starrag probably has the best machine design for blade machining, with the way their head is configured.

not sure anyone in US can vouch for performance.

I would stay away from DMG/Mori. Just not a big fan of their customer service and machines.

got a little spotty support on an Older Mori recently.

some good, some RFQ's left un-answered.

Also, there are some 5 axis mills configured with a built in center support, but my alzheimers is preventing me from coming up with the name.

^ agreed

a high dollar machine designed for blades but when that job is done you need a good MT machine to handle other jobs. I've been programming hot section blades  and pressure blades for 10 years.

Mazak and DMG can cover all that comes along and I use Mastercam to do it all. I've investigated NX and Open mind to compete. NX didnt have a lot to offer but Open Mind has a good single blade option that looks promising.

Other than that I'd look at http://www.conceptsnrec.com/news/concepts-nrec-introduces-new-user-interface-and-single-blade-capability

Well we just talked to Mazak and Okuma.

From Mazak we are looking at the E-500H-S or the E-420H-S

From Okuma the Multus B400 or the B550.

They both seem very nice. This will deftly be us stepping up our game from a bunch of Haas and old Cincinnati's that don't even have tool changers.

Does anyone have any experience with these running or programming any of these?

Okuma rep claimed we would get a fully tested out working post of Mastercam with the machine.

Would we have to go through the post development process for the Mazak?

Okuma rep claimed we would get a fully tested out working post of Mastercam with the machine.

I believe these Okuma models are supported by the mill/turn module, which means you'd get a CNC Software

developed post and machine sim, if you bought the mill/turn module.

There are also very good posts available for the regular lathe module. 

I'll leave it to others to say whether mill/turn is worth purchasing,

I participated in the beta effort, but with no access to a supported machine my knowledge and experience with mill/turn is

about 5 years out of date

Is the Okuma guy suggesting he can provide the post with the machine?

If so, check with him who´s the supplier. In case he meant support to prove out a post, get a post from some vendor who has a good reputation and background on this area. Postability and In-House solutions are good names. They can DRASTICALLY reduce the time for your prove outs, thus you can make chips faster.

Edit: I´m asuming you will use the regular Mill/Turn package in Mc. If not, follow G-Code´s advice above.

.......... They can DRASTICALLY reduce the time for your prove outs, thus you can make chips faster.

+1

I'm on Rev 25 of an Okuma post and after a couple years it is far from fully functional. They actually started from scratch :vava: