Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can't select edges, only surfaces.

Scott Lent

Greetings,

I've not had this happen before and I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing.

I'm working from a surface model where all of my toolpaths have been 2D up to this point. I just created a toolpath using a surface high speed toolpath and now I'm trying to continue with a 2D Contour, but I can't select an edge. Only surfaces can be selected. The 'select edge' icon on the ribbon bar is greyed out.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Scott

Sounds like you are missing wireframe geometry.  You stated you are working with a surface model.  I assume you mean it has no solids, just surfaces.

AFIK, surface edges can't be selected like edges of a solid, so if you had been doing 2d tool paths up to this point the wireframe entities are either in a level that is not visible or they are blanked out.

Select edge won't typically work on wireframe geo, so if your screen is populated by only surfaces and wireframe geometry, it would be grayed out.

Hope this helps.

OK what I don't understand is why I can't select edge curves after I utilize a surface toolpath. I'm able to select those entities beforehand. I've been creating 2D toolpaths on this model.

If I save my file, restart Mastercam and re-open it, I can select edge curves again..

Oh, and yes, it is a surface model, no solids.

Thanks,

Scott

Unshade and the wire frame can be picked again....they get underneath the surface...sometimes selecting auto again will unhang the selector.

Sometimes the function gets stuck on window or chain and needs to be refreshed but I am not sure that is happening here.

I am am a little confused at what you are saying.

if you have a surface model, selecting that solid button you have highlighted in your pic will do nothing, selecting the edge icon next to it will do nothing...those buttons only work on solids.

There is a bug that will turn off edge selection in the selection toolbar. You have to go back and pick it every time after certain functions use the surface selection process. I have a number for it somewhere, but like others said if you are working with surfaces only no wireframe or solids then none of these options will work. You will need to create your wireframe or use solids to pick on solid edges.

• Like 1
There is a bug that will turn off edge selection in the selection toolbar. You have to go back and pick it every time after certain functions use the surface selection process. I have a number for it somewhere, but like others said if you are working with surfaces only no wireframe or solids then none of these options will work. You will need to create your wireframe or use solids to pick on solid edges.

I have had that happen a lot it is a easy fix but annoying none the less!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings,

I've not had this happen before and I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing.

I'm working from a surface model where all of my toolpaths have been 2D up to this point. I just created a toolpath using a surface high speed toolpath and now I'm trying to continue with a 2D Contour, but I can't select an edge. Only surfaces can be selected. The 'select edge' icon on the ribbon bar is greyed out.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Scott

So not sure if you resolved the issue but the first response was the correct anwser

He alao asked if it was just surfaces in that case u will need to create all the curve first.

If the surfaces and clean and closed u can just creat solid from surfaces and that should also help. Once it is a actual solid it will select edges

So not sure if you resolved the issue but the first response was the correct anwser

He alao asked if it was just surfaces in that case u will need to create all the curve first.

If the surfaces and clean and closed u can just creat solid from surfaces and that should also help. Once it is a actual solid it will select edges

Sorry for poor spelling break is over have no time

• 4 years later...