Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

arcs gouging part

Hey gentlemen,

I had an issue today with GENERIC 3AXIS HMC POST. 

I was using Horizontal Toolpath with filtering off and tolerance set to .001. 

The path ran on a Fanuc 18i controller. Two arcs did a full 360 gouging the part. 

So i set to smoothing fixed segment and the problem wwent away. Is this a common problem? 

looking for the low down here. 

Any advice?

Hey gentlemen,

I had an issue today with GENERIC 3AXIS HMC POST. 

I was using Horizontal Toolpath with filtering off and tolerance set to .001. 

The path ran on a Fanuc 18i controller. Two arcs did a full 360 gouging the part. 

So i set to smoothing fixed segment and the problem wwent away. Is this a common problem? 

looking for the low down here. 

Any advice?

Certain Fanuc controllers tend to do it. VERICUT developers have even created a special macro do detect this kind of behavior in some controls.

• Like 3

It is not your post, I had this problem with our VMC and Vericut did not catch it. They had an entire Vericut update due to our problem, it still wont show the gouge but you will get a warning.

Set you control definition to make some changes, make sure the min arc radius is set to a larger number like 0.005" or 0.01".

arc_tolerance_zps539db7a0.png

Break_arcs_zps4c89fa45.png

• Like 2

i will do testing on monday... first ill take smoothing to segments off and change the min. arc. rad

if this doesn't gouge i will change back the min arc to the default to see if  the gouge 360 thing will show up again....on a piece of regular 6061 alum.

I can't be scraping anymore brazed assemblies. :)

THANKS GUYS i will report back 

Allow 360 arcs was never checked and i have it breaking arcs at quads..

Are you using I,J,K or R with your arcing?

i J K 

What is the min arc radius set to?

.0001 set by MASTERCAM DEFAULT ARRRRRR. I'm almost 100% sure this is  the issue. I changed it to .005 per your recommendation. I'll know for sure in a few hours. 

Go in mach def, break arcs or do not allow 360deg arc.

This is set unchecked as defualt for the HMC 3 axis post... Also set to quads as defualt...

I have not experienced any. I had it set to 0.005" and was getting some warnings in Vericut and when I changed it to 0.01" the warnings stopped.

I changed this setting in control def. from .0001 to .005 and .010...the output was identical lol using beyond compare.

So i don't think this is a cure all