Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 Axis post question

We have a new Matsuura MX-520 5-axis mill  with a Fanuc G-Tech 30i control it doesn't look like the Mastercam  generic 5-axis post supports tool center point control, now don't laugh but does Mastercam offer a free generic 5-axis post that supports TCPC or do we have fork out $3000 to $5000 for one that does.

Thanks

John

• Like 1

Matsuura machines come with Camplete which will cover your machine simulation and post processor . Generic 5-axis post will not support TCPC or Dynamic work offset. If you don't have the Camplete, you can contact postability or inhouse solution for a post.

We have a new Matsuura MX-520 5-axis mill  with a Fanuc G-Tech 30i control it doesn't look like the Mastercam  generic 5-axis post supports tool center point control, now don't laugh but does Mastercam offer a free generic 5-axis post that supports TCPC or do we have fork out $3000 to $5000 for one that does.

Thanks

John

I was never able to understand how a company that buys a Matsuura machine tool does not account for a post-processor and don´t order one in the day after the machine´s PO.

Just saying...  :secret:

• Like 5

Thanks

John

Mastercam's generic 5X post can be edited to support TCPC.

If you know how, you can do it for free.

I can get it done with much trial and error, but have found it's much more cost effective

and much safer to pay a professional

• Like 1

I was never able to understand how a company that buys a Matsuura machine tool does not account for a post-processor and don´t order one in the day after the machine´s PO.

Just saying...  :secret:

Exactly.

I can't understand how anyone would have budget to buy a high-end Japanese 5-Axis machine, and then they balk at spending money for a Post Processor.

I think a similar situation would be buying a high-end machine, and then buying the cheapest Chinese holders to hold your tools. Is saving a buck really so crucial that you're willing to take that risk?

The MX-520 is a great machine. I wrote a 5X Post for one recently for a customer of mine. Adding support for TCPC and TWP isn't hard, but it does take some time to implement and test.

• Like 1

I just started working for this company and the machine arrived about a week before me so I had no input in the purchase of this machine tool, I know Matsuura is a good machine and it did come with CAMplete which probably would have been a deal breaker for me if I was buying it, my question about the post was for my personal benefit I was hoping to bypass CAMplete all together, call me crazy but it’s a lot faster to click on the G1 icon in the operations manager instead of launching a third party software just to post a program those of you who are not familiar with CAMplete it’s very powerful but has a learning curve, UI is very busy and I’ve had a lot of issues with it, I’ve been very satisfied with the quality and support from the post I’ve used from my reseller.

I just started working for this company and the machine arrived about a week before me so I had no input in the purchase of this machine tool, I know Matsuura is a good machine and it did come with CAMplete which probably would have been a deal breaker for me if I was buying it, my question about the post was for my personal benefit I was hoping to bypass CAMplete all together, call me crazy but it’s a lot faster to click on the G1 icon in the operations manager instead of launching a third party software just to post a program those of you who are not familiar with CAMplete it’s very powerful but has a learning curve, UI is very busy and I’ve had a lot of issues with it, I’ve been very satisfied with the quality and support from the post I’ve used from my reseller.

All of those reasons are good things. You aren't crazy. Those are some of the exact same reasons I started learning how to edit post processors many moons ago.

The Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post is certainly capable of supporting this machine, unfortunately there are some functions like TCPC that do not work OOTB (Out-of-the-box). You have to add your own logic to support these functions, or pay someone else to do it.

• Like 2
On 2/7/2017 at 4:11 AM, ujmujm said:

CAMplete will post the code for you using the Mastercam interface. Get a hold of your dealer and gets some training in CAMplete. You have one of the best options for that machine and are not using what you have to get the job done the best way possible. If you don't have the interface you can build your tools and import all your models and then just import the NCI from a generic 5 Axis post and you should be able to get started. However get the interface and your life will be so much easier. In CAMplete go to the program editor tab and export Gcode and you have just posted your code. Will need to watch that your A Axis output is set for Negative Primary output and check your G53 values at the end of the output section, but minor changes done for each machine.

On the CAMwizard you need to pick your machine and then pick the configuration that was supplied to your company for that Spindle and Control. Also be aware if you are programming from, the center of the table in Mastercam or using WSEC where you have your WCS where ever you want. Remember to use the invert number for your offset position if using the interface. You also have the ability to transform your code if you need to shift anything without having to redo the file in Mastercam.

Foghorn is the best CAMplete guy I know and has taught me all I know about it. Who did your company buy their machine from? Feel free to email me and I will be glad to help point you in the right direction.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Thanks Ron, I totally agree with you on that one. There is a reason we've been working with Matsuura for so long. I'm not going to give a whole sales spiel on what we bring to the table, but if @ujmujm still has issues, I'd stronly recommend talking to our support team. We're more than willing to work on any potential issues
For the interface beeing busy, we've noticed, and have heard our customer. The new interface in TruePath 2018 is much, much easier. Screenshot attached.

MX.png

• Like 2
On 2/7/2017 at 8:31 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:

All of those reasons are good things. You aren't crazy. Those are some of the exact same reasons I started learning how to edit post processors many moons ago.

The Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post is certainly capable of supporting this machine, unfortunately there are some functions like TCPC that do not work OOTB (Out-of-the-box). You have to add your own logic to support these functions, or pay someone else to do it.

Agreed. Fortunately, Mastercam has a number of options in terms of posts. there are a number of good post writers out there in IHS, Postability, etc

You can also go the route of external posts, ie Camplete, ICAM, etc...

Or, you can learn to edit posts yourself.

I only wish that CNC would get there act together for Millturn and Swiss... :sleeping:

We use Partmaker to program our Swiss machines. Lesser of all evils. Especially now that Autodesk bought Delcam, and are pushing towards the subscription model licensing. :rant:

We have a number of 12 axis Star ECAS machines. 3 channel, 3 turret Swiss machines. These machines have Siemens 840 controls.
Partmaker posts are terrible. You pay for a post, and lots of stuff doesn't work. G@/G3 and comp backwards on a turret, wait codes mis-aligned, you name it. A stock post will not make a simple program without machine alarms. Partmaker support can help a bit, but they are no Dave Thomson. and a simple edit takes weeks to get back.

There is nobody like Camplete or ICAM or Postability for Partmaker. Only Partmaker.

So I learned how to edit their posts, and have a 100% post and play, send to the machine, no hand edits required system in place.  We now do stuff Partmaker says cant be done in Partmaker. We now have a competitive advantage over everybody that programs Swiss with Partmaker.

Now, we buy some new Star machines. These are ST-20 machines. Same as ECAS, but because Star and Siemens have a falling out, Star no longer uses Siemens, but Fanuc.
We now need a new post. For a 12 axis, 3 turret, 3 channel machine that we already have a post for, but in the wrong language. :rtfm:

Easy-peasy. I convert our existing post from Siemens commands into Fanuc commands, retaining all of our existing logic, user conditions, and custom cycles. Since I already knew the logic by heart, this was pretty painless. A Partmaker post would have needed more time to fix than ours took to convert, and about 6 grand to boot.

So I guess the moral of this story is to use the tools at your disposal, but the best tool may be in your own shop.

• Like 5
  • 3 years later...