Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2018 Public Beta open now

Jayson Kramer

Down loaded and installed. Just a few minutes playing with it but it seems faster than 2017. Files are opening faster for me. Graphics are behaving much better. Half of my frustration from 2017 was it seemed to be a pig on my machine. 2018 does not seem to be as bad. May have to give it a whirl and get back out of X9. The interface still sucks IMHO but I can live with that if at least it runs well. They did finally add a freepass to contour toolpath which is nice. No more creating a whole new toolpath. Again just a few minutes of playing but seems better at least for me.

Down loaded and installed. Just a few minutes playing with it but it seems faster than 2017. Files are opening faster for me. Graphics are behaving much better. Half of my frustration from 2017 was it seemed to be a pig on my machine. 2018 does not seem to be as bad. May have to give it a whirl and get back out of X9. The interface still sucks IMHO but I can live with that if at least it runs well. They did finally add a freepass to contour toolpath which is nice. No more creating a whole new toolpath. Again just a few minutes of playing but seems better at least for me.

What do you mean by freepass? Like a spring pass or something?

Is that what you meant to say?   :laughing:

No when. You cannot knock the knees out of anything and expect it to stand. The legacy toolpaths are still good toolpaths and still do better in a lot of situations. Surface Rough Pocket well that is a different conversation since I have not used in years. That use to be my go to toolpath. I will still use surface finishing contour when I want to mimic the HST toolpaths for semi finishing bottom to top. Flowline and Parallel along with Scallop. We need the holder and holder avoidance added to the legacy toolpaths along with the newer interface.

• Like 5

They did finally add a freepass to contour toolpath which is nice. No more creating a whole new toolpath. Again just a few minutes of playing but seems better at least for me.

Finally something that I will use more so than not.  This is something i've been doing for the past 5+ years.... adding spring passes / free passes to contours due to critical hole sizes and tool deflection.  So looking forward to this one feature.

I haven't tried the open beta testing for Mastercam, but would I have to test this out with a working netHASP or?

No when. You cannot knock the knees out of anything and expect it to stand. The legacy toolpaths are still good toolpaths and still do better in a lot of situations. Surface Rough Pocket well that is a different conversation since I have not used in years. That use to be my go to toolpath. I will still use surface finishing contour when I want to mimic the HST toolpaths for semi finishing bottom to top. Flowline and Parallel along with Scallop. We need the holder and holder avoidance added to the legacy toolpaths along with the newer interface.

Don't get me wrong,I'm not saying they are bad.  But one would certainly expect that if a company totally redesigns their product from X9 to 2017 that they wouldn't stop halfway. To me it screams laziness, especially since the lathe package is darn near the same as it was in V9, 20 yrs ago.

Yes. Just like in pocketing finish pass. You can now select a button for a spring pass. I have just always called it a free pass.

I haven't downloaded 2018 so I can't see what you are seeing, but what does this feature do that you couldn't do with multi passes in the regular contour toolpath? I set finish number to 2 and leave the spacing set to 0 to do spring passes now, and it works fine. If the feature is critical I often have to create a separate tool path anyways as I probe in between the two to set the wear comp.

post-40824-0-57356000-1487188273_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I haven't downloaded 2018 so I can't see what you are seeing, but what does this feature do that you couldn't do with multi passes in the regular contour toolpath? I set finish number to 2 and leave the spacing set to 0 to do spring passes now, and it works fine. If the feature is critical I often have to create a separate tool path anyways as I probe in between the two to set the wear comp.

attachicon.gifspringpass.JPG

I haven't seen it yet either...but I am hoping it will do the spring pass without doing the lead in/lead out moves.

I haven't seen it yet either...but I am hoping it will do the spring pass without doing the lead in/lead out moves.

Do you mean the spring pass would continue after the first contour was complete without the tool disengaging from the path and then use the leadout when the spring pass is complete? That would be sweet.

attachicon.gifspringpass.JPG

This is the new and improved Multi-pass option:

post-1385-0-15547300-1487190209_thumb.jpg

Bet you never used access keys.

Only for a few toggles

Do you mean the spring pass would continue after the first contour was complete without the tool disengaging from the path and then use the leadout when the spring pass is complete? That would be sweet.

You can do that in older versions of mcam, but requires a separate finishing toolpath. Either by using "enter onfirst depth cut only" or by "double" chaning the geometry.

Only for a few toggles

You can do that in older versions of mcam, but requires a separate finishing toolpath. Either by using "enter onfirst depth cut only" or by "double" chaning the geometry.

I use spring passes on anything +- .002.  I also make spring passes the same way and also dislike leadin and out there.  How to double the chain length.