Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O-ring Boss Port Question

Don't do it. Don't do it. Let me see if I can make myself clear don't do it. Whoever didn't cover the tooling needed for the job needs to call the customer and add that cost to the job or give it back to the customer. That port is extremely hard to mimic and is best done with the correct tool. Any failure of the port will become the responsibility of your company. If this is going into a flight application and the aircraft crashes and they trace the damage back to the failed port your company made because they cheaped out and didn't get the correct tool your company and the supervisor who approved it will be liable. If it is R&D part and your company has to assume no responsibility for any issue that might arise from the port not being to the correct specifications laid out by the standard them by all means surface machine it, but really consider getting the correct tool for the job and do it the right way.

• Like 8

Don't do it. Don't do it. Let me see if I can make myself clear don't do it. Whoever didn't cover the tooling needed for the job needs to call the customer and add that cost to the job or give it back to the customer. That port is extremely hard to mimic and is best done with the correct tool. Any failure of the port will become the responsibility of your company. If this is going into a flight application and the aircraft crashes and they trace the damage back to the failed port your company made because they cheaped out and didn't get the correct tool your company and the supervisor who approved it will be liable. If it is R&D part and your company has to assume no responsibility for any issue that might arise from the port not being to the correct specifications laid out by the standard them by all means surface machine it, but really consider getting the correct tool for the job and do it the right way.

yeah i figured something like this...

i already bought the tool because this is a test lot and we probably get more. 

• Like 1

I've done it many times for 5-10 pcs jobs. We have some porting tools, but for larger ones I draw them up and 3D profile them.

We don't do stuff that is aircraft or NASA, so liabiity isn't too much of a concern, as long as it functions correctly.

Have yet to have one returned as faulty in over a decade. (knock on wood)

I've done it many times for 5-10 pcs jobs. We have some porting tools, but for larger ones I draw them up and 3D profile them.

We don't do stuff that is aircraft or NASA, so liabiity isn't too much of a concern, as long as it functions correctly.

Have yet to have one returned as faulty in over a decade. (knock on wood)

I've done it quite a bit myself.  Speaking of surface finish, you may not even get the call out with a port tool.  Be careful and always check your port tool in a piece of dummy stock.  Not to mention a hit or two on them gives the super sharp edges a bit of hone or wear in and makes them run better.  Especially in 4140 and P20.  In my humble experience any way.  Also, you only want to spotface it with the larger diameter.  I usually rough the spotface with an endmill to about -0.008in or so then run the spotface to -0.01in.  Most specify a max depth only so if you only go so deep you have a chance or two to save the spotface surface finish.

• Like 2