Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anyone familiar with "tangent plane machining"?

lowcountrycamo

This is mainly tool geometry which does the job. Parametrics barrel tools have been introduced in 2017 so I guess surfaces toolpathes should be able to drive them (I still didn't try). Programming strategy is the same as with a ball cutter except you can highly increase stepover due to high tool radius(almost flat) .

We just did a job with those tools. Customer didn't like the over $300 per tool price tag and asked us to go back to ball endmills.

Wait for it we programmed it in.

Mastercam. :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter:

I know of several other CAM Software's that can program with those tools just like that very easily.

• Like 2

We just did a job with those tools. Customer didn't like the over $300 per tool price tag and asked us to go back to ball endmills.

I know of several other CAM Software's that can program with those tools just like that very easily.

what was the difference in cycle time between the ball endmill and the barrel mill

seems penny smart, pound foolish to me

I tried this with multi-surface using a 90 degree chamfer mill. I set side tilt to 45 degree. But this offset my chamfer mill away from the part. Anyone know why that might happen?

try the same toolpath only define the tool as a tape rmill

Chamfer mills and taper mill comp differently. This can really burn you if your' not paying attention

• Like 3

So I got this working with Multi surface using a custom taper mill.  I added the same side tilt as the tools taper angle.  Worked slick.  Of course is only cleaned up correctly on mostly flat or slightly curved surfaces.  On sharp outside or inside curves it left a step or gouge on each depth pass.  Can't wait to try it on a real part now!

Why werent they happy with the results?

What was your ball em step down?

Barrel cutter step down?

Please share more :)

We didn't even run them. Customer wanted a cheaper option for tooling and the customer got what they wanted. End of the story.

I was curious what the difference in cycle time was between the 2 toolpaths and if the barrel mil's

improved cycle time justified it's increased cost

At the price of the tools the customer was not willing to take the chance. I didn't realize it added $1800 in tooling cost to the project. I think there cycle time reduction per part was about 30 minutes, but we didn't put the 1st tool to the parts so no way of knowing how many parts they would have cut before needing to be swapped out. Hard sometimes since we don't price out the tools we just spec out tools. I was quite shocked at their price tag. If I could get them on a test and then go from there it would be a different story. I will hopefully find the right project where we can test them and see what they can do. This project I can't blame the customer I put all the fault back on myself. We were able to get everything changed over and got it moving.

I would think the tool life would be better for the barrel mill

The same amount of material is being removed by each tool

The ball mill is taking multiple passes cutting with the same area of the tool

This can notch a small area of the tool, while the rest of the cutting edge is unused and pristine.

The barrel mill Is taking much fewer passes and the cut is spread over a larger area of the tool

I would expect it to last longer

Just because this makes sense in theory, does not mean it will play out in practice though.

Only spindle time will tell the true story

I would think the tool life would be better for the barrel mill

The same amount of material is being removed by each tool

The ball mill is taking multiple passes cutting with the same area of the tool

This can notch a small area of the tool, while the rest of the cutting edge is unused and pristine.

The barrel mill Is taking much fewer passes and the cut is spread over a larger area of the tool

I would expect it to last longer

Just because this makes sense in theory, does not mean it will play out in practice though.

Only spindle time will tell the true story

Yes and when you can't be 100% sure and time is of the utmost importance you go with what works. Had I more time to test and go through the process more in depth then I could make an intelligent call. Maybe after the project is settled in an the customer is looking for areas to reduce cycles time down the road then we can revisit them.

• Like 1

Yes and when you can't be 100% sure and time is of the utmost importance you go with what works. Had I more time to test and go through the process more in depth then I could make an intelligent call. Maybe after the project is settled in an the customer is looking for areas to reduce cycles time down the road then we can revisit them.

maybe you can grind a free trial tool out of a vendor :laughing:

• Like 1

That kind of cutting, at least in the kinds of molds we build, seems like it would be nothing short of revolutionary. I know hyperMill is really marketing it to mold shops. After watching demos for hyperMill, and then PowerMill, I told the PowerMill guy, we're leaning towards hyperMill because of the tangent plane thing. He was like, WAIT, we have that too! I guess the marketing department hasn't told them to push it.

This video is interesting...

FF to 1:50, and again to 6:20. If it can make a Hurco look good, it must be some magical chit. :sorcerer:

• Like 1

That kind of cutting, at least in the kinds of molds we build, seems like it would be nothing short of revolutionary. I know hyperMill is really marketing it to mold shops. After watching demos for hyperMill, and then PowerMill, I told the PowerMill guy, we're leaning towards hyperMill because of the tangent plane thing. He was like, WAIT, we have that too! I guess the marketing department hasn't told them to push it.

This video is interesting...

FF to 1:50, and again to 6:20. If it can make a Hurco look good, it must be some magical chit. :sorcerer:

I think hyperMill was probably first to the party with this technology

I didnt think they were too outrageously priced? $115 for a 6mm and just under $200 for 12mm

I doubt any custom place will make them for close to that pricing in only 1-2 pcs

I have a 6mm,8mm,10mm, and 12mm sitting on my desk but like he said before...
Everything is always a rush and havent had time to test them yet.