Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sorry 5 axis Nooby

bad-mod

Hey guys been slamming mastercam for a while on 4 axis stuff no drama's. We have just got a new to us okuma 5 axis vmc. It has 360 deg table turn © and pivot head (B). I have been playing with this part without any luck could one of you 5 axis guru's give me a bit of an in sight on how I might program the slot's on  this part ? one of the most confusing issues is that my X and Y moves seem to be around the wrong way when I post ( this may be a post issue )? I am putting the heat on my boss to get the multi axis training from mastercam, Dose anyone have any feed back on that also?   Any information would be great thanks guys

PR01 BL-1002.ZIP

• Like 2

Your plane looks correct to me and you have a Postability Post. I would email those guys and let them know what you are running into. Very straight forward part and really a 3+2 process you are trying to accomplish not a full 5 Axis and from my viewpoint you are approaching it correctly. Send a sample file to Postability and explain to them in detail what you are seeing on the machine and they should help you get it sorted.

• Like 1

What about dialing up tool paths do I have to use multi axis or can I use regular toolpaths? Do you have to use the "convert to 5axis".

You don't need multiaxis in order to do 5 axis work. If all you are doing is indexing work then the basic 2d toolpaths will do what you need. Learn how to use the plane manager and you will be set.

• Like 2

We ran into axes inverted with postability's okuma 5x post. We turned off tcp in the post which is for head head machines and that corrected the problem. I was disappointed with documentation that came with that post.

I to have been really underwhelmed by our service too. we pay top dollar and get bugger all and made to feel that we are lucky to get what that. 

e-mailed prosoft (our rep) friday morning about the issue got a reply late Tues. 

The reply didn't even relate to the post question! i only got a hard sell on some mastercam-u papers. so frustrated :horse: 

is any one here versed in FIDIA code ? 

We ran into axes inverted with postability's okuma 5x post. We turned off tcp in the post which is for head head machines and that corrected the problem. I was disappointed with documentation that came with that post.

I to have been really underwhelmed by our service too. we pay top dollar and get bugger all and made to feel that we are lucky to get what that. 

e-mailed prosoft (our rep) friday morning about the issue got a reply late Tues. 

The reply didn't even relate to the post question! i only got a hard sell on some mastercam-u papers. so frustrated :horse:

Posts aren't something just anyone should take on. Honestly if you need further documentation than what is provided you shouldn't try modifying them yourself. Too many things can go wrong. If you need specific help this is a good place to come, if you have questions ask away. Many of us can make post mods without an issue or we can point you in the right direction so you can start learning how to make the edits yourself. 

• 2 weeks later...

I only drop by eMastercam.com every few months, so it's very difficult for me to react or support you here in any meaningful way.  We do very much want to solve problems in order to have happy customers.  The best way to get support for a Postability post product is through your reseller.  We work tirelessly day in and out to support our clients, and it does upset me to discover unresolved issues here.

@lowcountrycamo:  Duly noted on your docs comment.  We don't expect users to customize our posts, so were aren't publishing guides on the use of the post switches, etc.  But perhaps you were trying to make some changes and experienced some frustration.  Table/table TCP is possible and supported, tcp : 2.  I do encourage you to let your reseller know what your core issues were that prompted you to switch that off.

@bad-mod:  I'm not clear if you have a Postability post issue or not, or if your comment was related to your reseller.  If your reseller must contact us with a 12 hour time difference, it certainly may take over 24hrs minimum for the initial back and forth.  Again if you have a question or concern, I do encourage you to reach out to your reseller so that we might get your issues resolved.

• Like 4

Postability's stuff is top notch. You will be hard pressed to find a better solution.

They do work through a reseller channel, so support may be delayed a little depending on how quickly your reseller gets them tje information/questions. Cut Postability a little slack.

"Postability's stuff is top notch. You will be hard pressed to find a better solution."

+1

We have several posts from them with more coming. They need a feedback from you and will get it straightened out. No two machines are really optioned the same and to add to it you have machinists "liking" it their way...

jm2c

• Like 2

Postability's stuff is top notch. You will be hard pressed to find a better solution.

They do work through a reseller channel, so support may be delayed a little depending on how quickly your reseller gets them tje information/questions. Cut Postability a little slack.

I can tell you, every time I have dealt with them directly I receive a response the same day if it was within business hours or of the following morning if it was not. They are my goto post builder for a good reason.

And like I said before, if you need documentation on how to modify a post you shouldn't be doing it. 

• Like 1

Postability's posts and service are the best in the business.

I recommend their work without qualification.

If your post is not performing to your satisfaction, you need to get in touch with your dealer.

Provide sample files.. showing what you're getting and the output you desire

It will get fixed

• Like 1

OK - figured out who you are bad-mod.  It's a Fidia retrofit on an Okuma Howa table/head style machine.  I think it's fair to say that it is a fairly custom situation.  Most typically TCP is setup with length comp in the head group, and a clueless table group that is not part of the TCP kinematics.  It's quite possible that your retrofit was configured with 'part coordinates'/full head-table TCP support.  We'd need to establish that with a bit of experimentation.  Even with very common machines, we can see differences in how the parameters are setup to handle this from installation to installation.  At this point, I'd direct you over to email, with thanks.

• Like 4

I'd just like to back up everyone here that has mentioned Postability. I've dealt with Dave and his posts before, and Postabilitys service is second to none. We have a Multus B400W Postability post and we've had nothing but positive interaction with Dave over its implementation and customisation.

I'd recommend Postability posts in a heartbeat, and I wish we could purchase more of them.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bad-mod said:

Thanks for all the feed back guys the only issue was with my re-seller getting the info through. we have got some great traction now that our edits are getting  to postability, every edit has fixed every issue we have had so far. big up's :rolleyes:

Thank you for letting us know.

I am NOT complaining about the post.  We had some issues like TCP turned on by default, max inverse feed settings set too high, and some others that we got worked out.  I read through the docs and it did provide some info about the misc/reals but a little more would have saved our us some confusion.  You must understand our situation.  Two of us run MC and the other four run Catia.  Several in management are trying to show the owner the superiority of MC over Catia on the CAM side.  This is the first 5x post we have bought as we only ran the Haas on MC previously.  Maybe it is my fault, as I am the only one trying to learn the posting process.  Before our Postablitly purchase my 5x experience was limited to the Haas and Fanuc generic posts. 

However, after getting the bugs worked out the ongoing job that was reprogrammed on MC was reduced from 6 hrs to 2 hrs. I was told another seat of MC and possibly a different post will be purchased soon

• Like 2
4 hours ago, bad-mod said:

Thanks for all the feed back guys the only issue was with my re-seller getting the info through. we have got some great traction now that our edits are getting  to postability, every edit has fixed every issue we have had so far. big up's :rolleyes:

Glad to hear things are working out

yea for the most part. the learning curve is flattening out a little  still heaps of head scratching going on as i don't have anyone in the shop to teach me. And to make it harder I keep getting all the  curly " that will easy as on the 5 axis" job's

any of you  5axis guys got any feedback about this one

• Like 1