Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best way to verify weldments/castings

FTI2007

What is the best method to setup stock for verify for weldments or castings?  

Obviously the standard stock box method doesn't work for this type of work. For basic parts I just make a couple tool paths to remove the extra material  and only use them for verify and ghost them later. 

Thanks

Yeah, soild model for just the part and select the solid for verify.  And then an .stl file for the part and the fixture.  My opinion from over the years if if I can't get a solid model of a weldment or casting to make my own.  It makes it easier to make an accurate program and catch mistakes and I think is worth the time to make models if needed.

• Like 1

I always check my weldaments with X-Ray but that's just me.

:coffee:

:rofl:

Can you get the solids of the files and not have to work with surfaces? With a Solid it becomes easy to use the Modify to remove all the holes. Then on each of the pads where you will be machining off material you just use the push/pull to add material that takes them back to their original size when welded on. In about 5 minutes you have made a stock model to your needs.

Now as surfaces your job is much harder and more difficult, but could be done. See if you can get the solids and see how much easier your life can be.

Apparently Daniel accidentally flagged me as a spammer so my last couple comments disappeared .  

Yes Ron the majority of what we do is drawn in house in solidworks.  So am I right in thinking I would import a separate file as a solid and modify it by removing holes and raising the pads up and then saving it and reference that file for my stock in verify under the verify  options page?

Apparently Daniel accidentally flagged me as a spammer so my last couple comments disappeared .  

Yes Ron the majority of what we do is drawn in house in solidworks.  So am I right in thinking I would import a separate file as a solid and modify it by removing holes and raising the pads up and then saving it and reference that file for my stock in verify under the verify  options page?

Yes, easily done.

OK. ,  Couple questions.  First... should I be saving the modified solid as  a STL for my stock in verify or just a standard mcx file? I brought the frame in as a solid and  raised the pads and got rid of the holes.  I have tried both saving it as an STL and just a normal mcx file but when I reference the file for my verify the wireframe is in the correct location but the surfaces are .750 high.  What would cause that?

That's weird.  I occasionally have issues like that with a file.  Where the stl is being saved in a different location/orientation, or is being brought in by verify in a different orientation/location.  

The only work around I know of is to either Xform stl and move the stl by the amount it is off in verify, or open the stl file and move it where it needs to be and then use it.

I use stock models for rest machining but I dont understand how you would use it for verify. please explain.  

Thanks

Because all the work is done and when you pick a stock model for the Verify you know what you started with for the machining is what you want to verify to. I may have 20 to 50 stock models in a file depending on the type of work I am doing and everyone of them tells a story for Mastercam.

• Like 1

Because all the work is done and when you pick a stock model for the Verify you know what you started with for the machining is what you want to verify to. I may have 20 to 50 stock models in a file depending on the type of work I am doing and everyone of them tells a story for Mastercam.

I understand that part of stock models.  But I dont see how i could use a stock model on a weldment  for verify. the stock model is generated from the toolpaths. So on a weldment that is basically just a frame with some pads how would a stock model be used to generate the stock that I need to verify my toolpaths properly. The other method you told me about with modifying the solid  does exactly what I need but I just want to make sure there is not another way to do it. 

I understand that part of stock models.  But I dont see how i could use a stock model on a weldment  for verify. the stock model is generated from the toolpaths. So on a weldment that is basically just a frame with some pads how would a stock model be used to generate the stock that I need to verify my toolpaths properly. The other method you told me about with modifying the solid  does exactly what I need but I just want to make sure there is not another way to do it. 

I always make a stock model from the beginning of what I am starting with. Then I make stock models along way. Then I use them as my Stock Models for the rest machining. I can really eliminate air moves by using them. Downside is how big the file gets with all those stock models in it.

• Like 1

Is your initial stock model based off of your modified solid model? 

Yes if I am working with a casting or a printed part then it match what I start with. It is a raw stock like a block or a round bar then it matches that. The stock model always defines my process for milling. When MT and Lathe full adopt the only stock model process then I will convert to that method, but for now I use the tools I got the way they are designed.

Another thing I do is when I'm going to make soft jaws on the self-centering vise (which I do quite frequently) I'll copy the assembly onto a new level, along with the parallel that's holding them apart, and do a boolean add on them to make it all one piece.  Then I can select it as the definition for a stock model.

Edit:

This allows me to quickly throw a Dynamic Optirest at it with Rest Material referencing the stock model and get most or all of the roughing done in one go.