Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best way to verify weldments/castings

FTI2007

What is the best method to setup stock for verify for weldments or castings?  

Obviously the standard stock box method doesn't work for this type of work. For basic parts I just make a couple tool paths to remove the extra material  and only use them for verify and ghost them later. 

Thanks

Ask the customer for the forging or casting model and make a stock model from that...

A stock model does not have to be created from toolpaths!

• Like 1
On 3/2/2017 at 8:13 AM, Müřlıń® said:

Ask the customer for the forging or casting model and make a stock model from that...

A stock model does not have to be created from toolpaths!

I have the models. and I see now that a stock model does need tool paths to be created. But if I want to add thickness to pads or fill in holes for an acurate verify I do not see how a stock model will work for that.  Please tell me if I am wrong. Modifying a solid model is the only way That I see to do that. Then of course you could either save the solid model as a STL or make a stock model and export as a  STL. 

2 hours ago, FTI2007 said:

I have the models. and I see now that a stock model does need tool paths to be created. But if I want to add thickness to pads or fill in holes for an acurate verify I do not see how a stock model will work for that.  Please tell me if I am wrong. Modifying a solid model is the only way That I see to do that. Then of course you could either save the solid model as a STL or make a stock model and export as a  STL. 

Sounds to me like you have the finished models.

Models of castings or forgings will not have holes in them and they will have stock to be machined off.

If you do not have the rough model them by all means, modify  a copy to use as stock, create a new stock model and select your modified solid as stock

by pressing the button and you're done.....no need to convert to stl....

1.jpg

• Like 1

I think to get best results copying the solid, modifying or model prepping it to exact specs then using stock model is best, but since I am Lazy often times I just use a stock model off the finish model and in the stock model settings there is an additional Offset box you can use to "Puff Up" The original model. So basically what I do is just stock model, pick the original solid then type the Offset amount in the stock model settings to match how much extra material my forging or casting has and that even though this method puts extra stock everywhere it is very quick and easy to then see what is happening with the toolpaths and to use this in verify.

Above Murlin posted a picture of the Stock Model Toolpath page, on that page you will see the "Additional Offset" field where I am referring to.

• Like 1