Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need serious help with Wire MD/CD

Frank Caudillo

Morning everyone,

I've been having some serious issues with my wire machine/control definition in 2017, not sure if it's just me or if anyone else has had similar issues. 

It all started a few months ago - I went into 2017 to do some wire work (I had done previous wire work in '17 with no issues) and when I went to create a new contour it was giving me options for "Agie Contour", not the usual wire contour options I had before. It should be noted that the MD/CD, post, etc, are all for a Mitsubishi machine, not an Agie. For whatever reason, the machine think it's an Agie now and even after being on the phone for over an hour with our reseller trying to resolve the issue, it still will not work. This is just a brief summary of the issue, I know, and I can provide images of everything if anyone needs it. Just wondering if, based on my explanation, there is something silly I'm missing.

Another thing to note is that I can go into a different mcam file that worked before, and everything still works as it should. I can go into X9 and everything still works as it should (I've been using X9 to get around this issue but it really needs to be fixed for 2017). I tried migrating my MD/CD from X9 to rule out any issues with corruption of the 2017 defs but that didn't work either.

Hopefully someone has some insight. I really appreciate it, you guys have all been really great helping out. 

• Like 1

Sounds to me like your Defaults for that control got over written. Might be best to save a copy of the 2017 one out into a secure place. Convert your X9 version to 2017 and see if you get the results you are looking for. If you do then it confirms your Control Definition got changed. You either use the newly converted one or you spend the time going through everything from the newly converted one and the old one. Colin taught a trick not to long ago where you can rename the control to a .mcam and open it and look through everything that way verse having to go through the control definition to change things for your operational defaults.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you Defaults for that control got over written. Might be best to save a copy of the 2017 one out int oa secure place. Convert your X9 version to 2017 and see if you get the results you are looking for. If you do then it confirms your Control Definition got changed. You either use the newly converted one or you spend the time going through everything from the newly converted one and the old one. Colin taught a trick not to long ago where you can rename the control to a .mcam and open it and look through everything that way verse having to go through the control definition to change things for your operational defaults.

It looks like I finally fixed it by doing just that. I had tried converting just the machine and control def and obviously that didn't work. We've moved all of our definitions, posts, etc, to a central location on our server so everyone is tied to the same posts and everything. Since I'm the only one using wire I think all of that got scrambled somehow - Mastercam may have gotten confused looking for everything because it couldn't find what it needed. I converted the operations and defaults from X9, pointed to that and everything seems to be working now. Thanks Ron!

I really dont use Mastercam anymore but I do remember that once you had things like you wanted you HAD to save them in The Machine Definition. I even password protected it so no one could change it.

When you're working off a network location, after you move your files up on the server, it's best to remove the versions on your local computer....

Many times Mastercam will run home to them if it finds them locally

When you're working off a network location, after you move your files up on the server, it's best to remove the versions on your local computer....

Many times Mastercam will run home to them if it finds them locally

Right. We have all of the old definitions and stuff zipped on everyone's computer so Mastercam can only find what is on the network.