Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hey guys, silly question but can anyone tell me how to lock the chuck spindle to remove jaws from chuck? I work with a mazak nexus 200 ll quick turn 2 axis and for the life of me i cant get it to lock. Its a 3 jaw chuck with bolts that screw to it. I noticed that the previous operator bypassed a lot of things including having the machine working with the door open which i find unsafe. I would also like to know how to get rid of all the bypasses he made. Obviously i only know of the door now but am wondering if thathas something to do with the jaws not locking. 

11 minutes ago, jgarcia716 said:

I dint try m19 but i tried m16 m17 but it just gave me an alarm. So if m19 works how do i rotate the chuck while its still locked  without a  c-axis. I only have x and z axis.

M19 is one position to orient the spindle. I have taken a crescent wrench on the Jaw and held a jaw in place while I tightened and loosened the bolts.

53 minutes ago, jgarcia716 said:

Im trying to lock the spindle so when i do insert the wrench the chuck stays put and doesnt start to rotate on me. 

if you can't get it to lock i have had luck doing what Ron suggested, or making sure the allen wrench you are using crosses the centerline of the chuck when loosening, this changes the direction of force on the spindle. Also a tap with a brass hammer will work better than just trying to turn the wrench.

• Like 1

Just an FYI, not sure how all machines function. BUT I watched a guy lock the spindle with M19, with the door interlock disabled. When he applied enough force to tighten the jaw bolts he overcame the spindle position, this machine then rotated the chuck and re oriented itself. Luckily he dropped the wrench & cheater bar...nothing happened. But it sure could have been worse.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, T_MALENA said:

Just an FYI, not sure how all machines function. BUT I watched a guy lock the spindle with M19, with the door interlock disabled. When he applied enough force to tighten the jaw bolts he overcame the spindle position, this machine then rotated the chuck and re oriented itself. Luckily he dropped the wrench & cheater bar...nothing happened. But it sure could have been worse.

Thanks for the heads up. I know there has to be a right way of doing this otherwise how would one change jaws for different diameters. I managed to take the jaes off by manually starting the spindle and then bringing the spindle speed all the way down to 0, that keeps the jaws in place. I know its not the right way but its working for me. I also work with mazak intergrex lathe and those i can lock easily but those are 5 axis machines and have the c-axis to rotate the jaws. 

I agree with the others. I HIGHLY advise against using M19 or C-Axis mode on lathes with that to hold the spindle while you tighten/loosen bolts. Either use a impact gun or put your allen wrench on the bolt so it crosses over the spindle center-line and give it a rap with your dead-blow. *There are some machines that have a lock for this purpose but not the 2 axis Mazaks I have seen.

On 3/10/2017 at 0:33 PM, jgarcia716 said:

...manually starting the spindle and then bringing the spindle speed all the way down to 0, .... 

Look, too each their own...

BUT that is just plain NUTS!

If they are on that tight - use an air impact too loosen (not to install).

Never have the spindle active when you are messing with the chuck... You're just asking for... ???

• Like 2
7 hours ago, M. Anderson said:

Look, too each their own...

BUT that is just plain NUTS!

If they are on that tight - use an air impact too loosen (not to install).

Never have the spindle active when you are messing with the chuck... You're just asking for... ???

Indeed.  Do a Google image search for "lathe accident"; that's what you can expect if someone walks by and bumps the control.