Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Current training courses for learning posts?

Hi everyone,

I've recently become very interested in upgrading my shops posts after seeing the power and efficiency that can be gained by having a great post. Our current posts are from 2002 and were tinkered with by people long gone since then. I have very little experience with posts and coding in general but after reading the MP documentation for the last few weeks in my spare time I'm starting to wrap my head around it. Does anyone know of any good courses that I could take though? I've noticed the Eapprentice no long has Mastercam related courses, at least at the moment, but I've already learned a good bit just from Colin's posts on this forum.

1 minute ago, Burnt said:

Hi everyone,

I've recently become very interested in upgrading my shops posts after seeing the power and efficiency that can be gained by having a great post. Our current posts are from 2002 and were tinkered with by people long gone since then. I have very little experience with posts and coding in general but after reading the MP documentation for the last few weeks in my spare time I'm starting to wrap my head around it. Does anyone know of any good courses that I could take though? I've noticed the Eapprentice no long has Mastercam related courses, at least at the moment, but I've already learned a good bit just from Colin's posts on this forum.

CNC Software runs an occasional course still I believe

Have you checked with your reseller as well.....I knew we(Cimquest) used to offer one as well 

Edited by Guest

I've been after the same thing with not much luck. As you've said, Colin's classes on eapprentice are no longer available and I even got a response from CNC software stating they had no plans for Post classes this year. :mellow: I've been going through the documentation, looking through posts, studying whatever I can, etc. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

There is a class that Colin did some where on here and made videos FOR FREE.  Look it up.

I saw that he did some back in Dec for free. Really kicking myself for missing that! Thought he had good reasoning for it being free as well with the whole charitable expectations in return for the course. Do you know if anyone recorded the sessions? I know he was cool if people did, even giving links to free video capture softwares.

Edit: Just read further down in that thread. I guess I just need to get in touch with Colin for videos of the sessions?

Just now, jlw™ said:

Colin recorded it but if I understand he has not edited the videos yet.

Maybe you could offer some help there.

Colin is top notch, I assure that.

Have a buddy that was pretty big into doing Youtube videos for a while so he could probably help me with editing those sessions. I reach out to Colin on here. Thanks for the help man, very much appreciated. Such a helpful community here. 

I appreciate the offer of help on editing the videos, but I'm not sure if you could actually be of help. I've run into a problem with the recordings of the videos themselves. There was a bug in the Camtasia recording software when recording stereo using the default settings. The audio is barely audible. I've tried messing with all the audio "repair" settings, but no luck. I think all the training video is basically useless without the audio portion to go along with it. There are some tools for "volume leveling", and "noise cancellation", but no matter what settings I use, the audio is terrible.

To make matters worse, I had to reformat my hard drive about a month ago, as my graphics card was causing constant crashes, and I was unable to get any of the updates to work. I couldn't even roll back the driver version. Something was seriously hosed, so I just reformatted and started over. Now I'm trying to work with Techsmith to recover my license to Camtasia, but they "can't find a record of me in their customer database". How convenient. I've only been a customer since Version 5, and they are on Version 8, and moving to 9...

Even when I do get my software updated, I think the base recordings themselves will still have issues with the audio. I did a bunch of reading on the TechSmith website, and the best solution I found was to split the audio/video into two separate tracks, then export the audio file, and import it into Adobe Audition. Apparently that software has the ability to repair the audio file, and filter out the static. Then you can save the audio track, and import it back into Camtasia, and sync it with the video track.

It ends up being a whole lot of work and expense on my part, just to try and save the audio portion of these recordings. It might just be worth it to record new audio tracks over the video. I might do a quick study of the work involved and see which one would take less time and/or money.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer Jeremy, I'll take you up on that. If we can save the recordings, I'd really like to do that.

In other news, Derek Goodwin and I are teaming up once again to offer Mastercam Training courses through Eapprentice, including bringing back our Post Processor training classes. I'm targeting this Summer for starting the courses up again. I'm going to work with Derek to get the site updated, so we can start taking sign-ups.

We are looking at different days/times for offering the course. I'm still not sure if it would be weekday, or weekend class times. I'm leaning towards a Tuesday/Thursday class time. Probably 2 hours per day, so that would be about 5 hours per week, with the Office Hour included. If we organized the class using those times, it would be a 4 week course.

I think it works out better to spread the class out over more weeks, rather than trying to cram it all into a couple weekends. It is just a lot of material to absorb.

We'll once again be offering the following Post courses:

1. Basic Post Processing - Mainly focused on learning the MP Language, and basic post skills. This course is a prerequisite for taking the other 2 post courses we offer. We will explore the MP Language, and teach you how to work with Variables, Strings, Post Lines, Post Blocks, String Selectors, and Math Functions inside the post.
  2. 2X-4X Lathe - This course introduces the Generic Fanuc 4X MT_Lathe Post Processor, and teaches you how to use and edit the Post Blocks for a 4 Axis Mill-Turn style machine. This Post Processor will handle up to a Dual Spindle, Dual Turret machine. (It does not support 5 Axis, but does support Pickoff/Barpull/Cutoff Operations.)
  3. 5X Mill Post Processing - This course focuses on understanding how to setup, configure, and edit the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post Processor. This particular post can be configured to support "any configuration" of 5 Axis machine, but editing the variables inside the Post itself. This course teaches the user how to setup the post for two of the most common 5 Axis types; Table-Table (Trunnion) style machines, and Head-Head (Gantry) style machines. In addition, we will cover the Misc Integer and Real Number settings, and how those are used to control the post output.

• Like 2

Frank and Cade,

I've scheduled the next Basic Post Processing for this coming June. We're working on getting the website updated, so that we can start taking sign-ups for the course. That will be the next opportunity to get some live training. I'm still working to produce my free "basic post training", as prerecorded video, but you can't ask a video a question...

I'm targeting these dates in June:

June 6th - 8th

June 13th - 15th

June 20th - 22nd

June 27th - 29th

Class will be 2 hours per day, running from 8:00 - 10:00 PM, Eastern Time. (5:00-7:00 PM, Pacific Time)

In addition, there will be 1 hour per week that is designated as "Office Hours", where I'll be available in an online "classroom" for you to ask direct questions. I typically take 3 or 4 questions from the students, and work through the answer in a "live" format, so you can see me writing the code that solves the issue.

If you would like to sign up for the course, please email me: [email protected]

The cost of the course will be $499.00. This class includes 16 hours of "presentation" by me, the instructor, and 4 Office Hours. In addition, we are working on creating several "projects" that each student will have to practice Post Development.

One prerequisite for taking the Basic Post Processing course is to obtain the MP Post Documentation PDF File from your Reseller. We use this PDF file much like a "textbook" for Post Processing, and our agreement with CNC Software is that you must obtain this material through your Reseller.

Also, you must be a valid "Commercial" user of Mastercam. This means that you, or the company you work for, need to have a Commercial HASP or NetHASP number available when you sign up for the course. You cannot use a "Home Learning Edition" or "Educational" version of Mastercam for this course.

We have worked with Resellers in the past to get students a "Trial" version of Mastercam, which is typically valid for 30 days, but this is the exception, rather than the rule.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Only a couple more weeks until we start our next Basic Post Processing course. I've got close to 15 people signed up already, and the limit is 25 students.

https://eapprentice.net/product/post-processor-for-mastercam/

If you've ever wanted to learn how to edit posts, or you are doing it already and struggling with understanding the MP Language, or how the Post Processor turns your NCI data and turns it into beautiful, error-free NC Code, now is the time.

This is by far one of the most lucrative skills I have ever learned...

• Like 2

Hi Frank,

No, you won't need access to a computer with Mastercam during class hours. The course is essentially one big lecture, with some "homework" that you can do on your own time. You would need access to Mastercam to test your code, but that will be part of the "homework", and not needed during class.

22 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Hi Frank,

No, you won't need access to a computer with Mastercam during class hours. The course is essentially one big lecture, with some "homework" that you can do on your own time. You would need access to Mastercam to test your code, but that will be part of the "homework", and not needed during class.

Perfect! Thanks Colin. Good to know I won't need to stay after work during class hours. :lol:

• Like 1
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:09 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Only a couple more weeks until we start our next Basic Post Processing course. I've got close to 15 people signed up already, and the limit is 25 students.

https://eapprentice.net/product/post-processor-for-mastercam/

If you've ever wanted to learn how to edit posts, or you are doing it already and struggling with understanding the MP Language, or how the Post Processor turns your NCI data and turns it into beautiful, error-free NC Code, now is the time.

This is by far one of the most lucrative skills I have ever learned...

Hi Colin,

Our post guru, left our shop and none of us are skilled yet at post reading / writing and we need help.

I went to the for - mentioned web site https://eapprentice.net/product/post-processor-for-mastercam/, and looks like we have at least three of us that want to take the course!     Do you offer any books or recordings for future reference material?

Just in case something comes up and we miss a session a recording would be great to stay on track.

Is there a book on understanding / writing  post you would recommend?

:sofa:

Thanks,

SolidWorks 2017

MaterCam 2017

Vericut 8.0.2

9 minutes ago, ANDY McATEE said:

Hi Colin,

Our post guru, left our shop and none of us are skilled yet at post reading / writing and we need help.

I went to the for - mentioned web site https://eapprentice.net/product/post-processor-for-mastercam/, and looks like we have at least three of us that want to take the course!     Do you offer any books or recordings for future reference material?

Just in case something comes up and we miss a session a recording would be great to stay on track.

Is there a book on understanding / writing  post you would recommend?

:sofa:

Thanks,

SolidWorks 2017

MaterCam 2017

Vericut 8.0.2

Get a hold of your reseller. They are your best resource locally to help. They can reach out to 3rd Party companies to help as needed.

Hi Andy,

Your best bet for a "book" is to obtain a copy of the Post Documentation PDF file, which contains all of the Post documentation material. (There are multiple PDF files inside that main file.)

We do offer recordings of the class material. Please email me so I can get you some more information and answer your questions:

colin 'at' Eapprentice.net

Thanks,

Colin