Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid Compare

I wonder what others think.....

I still think having a solid compare option in Mastercam would be a huge plus.......

Compare 2 solids and the system will highlight the differences between the two......

Yes, I know SW's can do this :)

Edited by Guest

a feature like this could really be very good in the aerospace industry that supply's other native data and expects a verify of what you are working with.  it could be $$$ in setting a standard.

i have had no problem with non native data in mcam sept for operator error on either end. but to have a proven check would be a great tool..

Doug

• Like 1

Change recognition doesn't work because I am not trying to compare for toolpaths....

And as clunky as Change Recognition is, I would never want to use it for that function on 90% of the work I do....

I ONLY want to compare geometry.....with more complex parts just overlaying them creates far more confusion

I am looking for a CAD function to do this....many times I will get a new Rev changed solid, most times they do not come with prints......when my programs have upwards of a couple hundred operations and many different B rotations I only want to know geometrically what is different.....to me this seems like a no brainer, especially when working on prototype....a function that quickly compares 2 solids and gives you a break down of differences.....

Not all of the stuff we work on is in house created, we get a fair bit of outside stuff as well and file tracking and change recognition just don't get it done.

I thought this could be a feature others could use as well but apparently not

Edited by Guest

This is a rather rudimentary example, I can't show the part I am working on but SW's will show you different faces, unchanged, changed, same.

In Mastercam there is no way to do this native in the software....

2017-03-19_11-22-38_zpsiplvp7dx.png

2017-03-19_11-23-49_zps3vlkeqou.png

2017-03-19_11-20-54_zpsjuwpf6nn.png

Edited by Guest

The solidworks thing is neat.

I've never used SW but a customer of ours  uses it and we have had models through before exactly like you're showing - with the colour faces different and he said it only took a couple of minutes to do.

So it's fast as well as good.

I've looked into a couple software solutions for doing this in getting Boeing DPD approval.

The prices were nothing to sneeze at. Better sticking with your Solidworks method, IMHO, as long as you are not looking for documented analysis.

IIRC the one we chose runs in Catia, rather than a stand alone vendor.

12 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

Change Recognition in Mastercam CAN be used to compare geometry. 

Pete, I tried, it barked that there were no toolpaths

When I tried to go into Change recognition on a geometry file only

Edited by Guest

The 'yell' is just to let you know that there are no toolpaths to compare.

It also says "Only geometry comparison can be performed".

I uploaded a video to https://mastercam.sharefile.com/d-s3ec951e723948b5a

Let me know if you have trouble seeing it. All I did was 1) open a SolidWorks part into MC 2017; 2) do a Mastercam Push/Pull on it; and then 3) go to Change Recognition again and open the same file.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, JParis said:

Pete, I tried, it barked that there were no toolpaths

When I tried to go into Change recognition on a geometry file only

That is strange, as when I did it I did not have anypaths and it said no paths so just checking the solid models. that is why I said why not this as it will do it without paths.

Well, I just learned something new in Mastercam......

Yes, Feature Recognition can compare just CAD data......I always got to the no toolpath data and bailed but click through it and it certainly does....

Thanks!!!!

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:31 PM, Pilot Plant Supervisor said:

I don't care about the compare, I just want the hand guard! :D

That's the first thing I noticed on Johns screen shot haha, Looks like a M-Lok Style which are my favorite types of forends. Cool part BTW!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JoshC said:

That's the first thing I noticed on Johns screen shot haha, Looks like a M-Lok Style which are my favorite types of forends. Cool part BTW!

Kind of funny really, I have found a nice niche, almost all of my side work is firearm related....coming from a self-admitted gun nut, I like it :)

3 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

John,

Since you're using SolidWorks, have you considered MCforSW as a way around the 'what's changed in my model?' question?

I'd be curious to know the reasons that you wouldn't use it.

Biggest reason is at work, I don't have access to SW's....they use Inventor but as the programmers don't have access to that either, it's MCAM or bust :)

At home I have SW's.....perhaps I am just an old grizzled bear comfortable in his place but as much as I like SW's for design work, I just find the MCAM interface/chaining/WCS just not comfortable....a creature of habits perhaps