Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Approximate Start Point

Frank Caudillo

Does Raster (or any of the new high speed toolpaths) not really care about the approximate start point you set? I set a start point at one end of a surface and it starts at the complete opposite side. I'm trying to control it so it moves from top to bottom while stitching a surface but it just decides to do what it wants. Any thoughts? 

7 minutes ago, Frank Caudillo said:

Does Raster (or any of the new high speed toolpaths) not really care about the approximate start point you set? I set a start point at one end of a surface and it starts at the complete opposite side. I'm trying to control it so it moves from top to bottom while stitching a surface but it just decides to do what it wants. Any thoughts? 

Far as I know no. The only real way is to make a dummy boundary where there is excess in one place and sometimes you can trick Mastercam into starting there.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Far as I know no. The only real way is to make a dummy boundary where there is excess in one place and sometimes you can trick Mastercam into starting there.

That makes sense. I'll keep that in mind as a solution for next time. Thanks, Ron. 

Just now, Colin Gilchrist said:

Add 180 to your Raster angle. Instead of "0", use 180. Or instead of "90", use "270".

Lol, my boss literally just showed me this. So simple. Thanks, Colin. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, skyking01x said:

I do a lot of SHS  waterline and the only way I know is to start the water lines one level prior to what you want then edit that line out after posting.  Raster is easier using Colin 's method.

Yeah, it's tricky sometimes getting the tool to start where you want. We're trying really hard at our shop to do absolutely no hand editing of code once posted, though. That's why I've been learning a lot about post editing so we can automate as much as we can inside the CAM file. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 4:48 PM, Frank Caudillo said:

Yeah, it's tricky sometimes getting the tool to start where you want. We're trying really hard at our shop to do absolutely no hand editing of code once posted, though. That's why I've been learning a lot about post editing so we can automate as much as we can inside the CAM file. 

I agree, I wish there was a better way.