Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Having trouble saving files, save-as drops characters from file name?

Aleforge

I am not sure where to post my question here, but I am really in need of help!

I have a weird thing going on and I can not figure out how to fix it. Searching the web I am coming up empty handed as well. I figured you guys might have some idea on whats going on.

So when I work in a file and make changes I go to save it using the "save as" dialog so I can name it something new. When I do that everything seems fine and I am able to type in the file name that I want. For instance "newdesigna" , once I hit save I am unable to locate it as it ends up saving it as "esigna" for example.

The crazy thing is it does not do this all of the time. I would say 25% of the time, maybe more. But it's absolutely annoying. At first I thought maybe it was due to saving it through the network to our file server. So I switched to saving things locally and then it still screwed up.

I am using Windows 10, and Mastercam 2017. Has anyone else heard of this issue, and if so any ideas on whats going on?

Thanks for the help!

Ya that would be me... lol

And I am at a complete loss on what to do. Nothing abnormal is running and the PC is clean. I am being hounded by our main designer on the annoyance. I am guessing at this point now that I have ran out of idea's that it could be caused by Mastercam itself? Perhaps some kind of setting?

15 minutes ago, Aleforge said:

Ya that would be me... lol

And I am at a complete loss on what to do. Nothing abnormal is running and the PC is clean. I am being hounded by our main designer on the annoyance. I am guessing at this point now that I have ran out of idea's that it could be caused by Mastercam itself? Perhaps some kind of setting?

In all my years, no setting that I have ever seen or encountered......

Are these files being saved to a local drive or a network drive?

If he tries saving to his desktop, does he still see the issue?

Edited by Guest

Ya I had a feeling there was nothing that could cause this. I don't see any hardware causing that issue either. Yes I had him start saving locally, it still does it randomly. I will say I have had a lot of frustrations with Mastercam and Solidworks over the years, but have always ironed them out. This is really weird.

Thanks for responding! I can not find anyone having the issue, in Mastercam or with another Windows program. 

Thanks Mikron!

He is able to do that but is increasingly getting annoying. I do know its real and I can imagine its annoying. But I suspected at first it might be something MC does at it's always been "quirky". But now I am trying to search around on what else could cause that problem. Graphics cards can do some weird crap, its kind of mind boggling that they randomly can cause issues with non "Graphical" situations. But I know they can. I think that PC is running a FirePro V3750 which is an aging card for sure. But I don't think right now the company will jump to a new one atm. /shrug

Thanks again, guess it's time to go back to the drawing board (heh). 

Thanks Mikron!

He is able to do that but is increasingly getting annoying. I do know its real and I can imagine its annoying. But I suspected at first it might be something MC does at it's always been "quirky". But now I am trying to search around on what else could cause that problem. Graphics cards can do some weird crap, its kind of mind boggling that they randomly can cause issues with non "Graphical" situations. But I know they can. I think that PC is running a FirePro V3750 which is an aging card for sure. But I don't think right now the company will jump to a new one atm. /shrug

Thanks again, guess it's time to go back to the drawing board (heh).