Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Tool Comms via Wifi

Very soon, we'll be moving our machine tools into a new building. As part of this, we'll need to set up the comms again.

Currently, we're using Cimco DNC Max, and connecting the machines via RS232/Cat5 using a Moxa Nport server. The machines use the RS232 to communicate via the DNC Server, and a barcode scanner which we use to request programmes to the machines. The machines are connected using 25 pin to RJ45 connectors at the machine, and then the Cat5 cable runs to the Nport server.

I'd like to look at using Wifi to connect the machines. Is anyone here doing anything similar, and how was it connected? And how have you found the Wifi reliability?

I guess being a little old fashioned, I like the security/reliability of a hardwired connection. It just seems to work.

Thanks for any feedback :)

Wireless is OK with Moxa... Big advantage is that DNC Max can connect directly to Moxa and and Quatech devices without intermediate drivers installed in the server...

Moxa quality is Ok... But 2 years and they're gone... it used to be like that previous hardware generation... I suppose it is better now... 

Best brand in my opinion is COMTROL... 

18 hours ago, Watcher said:

Wireless is OK with Moxa... Big advantage is that DNC Max can connect directly to Moxa and and Quatech devices without intermediate drivers installed in the server...

Moxa quality is Ok... But 2 years and they're gone... it used to be like that previous hardware generation... I suppose it is better now... 

Best brand in my opinion is COMTROL... 

Daniel, 2 years and they're gone? What do you mean by that? The product life is only about two years?

One thing Moxa isn't known for, is their strength. At my last employer, we lost three Nport servers with blown power supplies, due to a couple of power flickers.

We're beginning to think that wired is probably just that little bit more stable :)

• 3 weeks later...

One thing we have found going wireless is that there is some interference with our network security system . It's not a deal breaker but we do have occasional problems.

We are a large corporation and so the network security comes down from corporate, so not much we can do about it.