Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Begginer Setup on Haas Mill Machines.

Hey my boss is talking about moving me to the mill side to start training  on his Haas Mill Machines..He said he want to start grooming me to learn how to setup..Anything I should know like the absolute basics I should keep in mind?. I'm kind of intimidated but I'm not scared I welcome the challenge. It's kind of out of necessity for me to start so soon in my Machinist career. I have no schooling just the will to learn and to show up..Thanks for reading this.

Off the top of my head:

Double check, then triple check.

Always ask for clarification even if it means asking again.

5% rapid and distance to go are your friend.

Don't over tighten bolts. Tight is good and tighter is not better!

Be clean and organized.

Fail forward, you will make mistakes.

As long as you bring the desire to learn and a good attitude to the table you will go far.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the industry Matt (the) Vandal :D

I would encourage you to use the search function here - there's lots of info on lots of subjects here.

Also look on Practical Machinist in the CNC forum. There is a huge wealth of knowledge there which will also help you.

Good luck!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mattvandal said:

Hey my boss is talking about moving me to the mill side to start training  on his Haas Mill Machines..He said he want to start grooming me to learn how to setup..Anything I should know like the absolute basics I should keep in mind?. I'm kind of intimidated but I'm not scared I welcome the challenge. It's kind of out of necessity for me to start so soon in my Machinist career. I have no schooling just the will to learn and to show up..Thanks for reading this.

just showing up is half the battle, be there 10 min early, stay 10 late, listen to whoever is teaching you, learn to do it their way before you try to improve or tell them how to do it, leave your phone in the car!

• Like 2

Check your D and H offsets in your gcode.

Double check the location of your work offset.

Make sure all the tools are properly measured and their location is correct.

Be cautious never assume anything.

Always keep your hand on the estop when proving a program for the first time.

Ask for help when ever you are not 100% sure.

Getting really good at using single block, with feed hold and cycle start.

I never run full out on a new setup. Every new tool will get checked against the clearance plane.

Haas machines are pretty strait forward. There are a ton of tricks though. I would start watching the Haas Youtube channel and learning some of the inns and outs of the machine.

Maybe dryrun all the tools above the part by 6 inches on the first run to get comfortable that they are all doing what is expected. Haas has a dryrun function, as do many CNCs. It can seem tedious but sometimes slower is faster. Get a reputation as being very careful is better than the alternative. Bosses need to give you this leeway when getting started, and it will be good SOP for at least the first YEAR, if not longer.

welcome to the (best) forum

1 hour ago, Rocketmachinist said:

You know I have never actually figured out what is the deal with dry run. I have never used it before and don't understand what it is suppose to be doing.

Typically it runs the entire program at one fast speed, both rapids and feed moves.

Saw a guy complain about the feed override not working on an Aerospace kellering job.

yep. he had dryrun on :rofl: