Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to use Start-Hole Feature?

bmwjoe

We have been using Mastercam mill for about 6 months here and we have had good results.  We only do prototype work so we program a job, run it and we are done with it.  We have found it quite efficient to mill the parts out of plate and then contour mill around the part and have it drop out of the plate.  Of course the endmill does not enjoy plunging into the material.  Many of our parts have pockets and other contours so we end up plunging a lot.  It sure would be handy to be able to drill pilot holes where the mill enters the part.  We stumbled upon the "start Hole" feature under the hole making menu.  The issue is we don't know how to use it.

When we tried to use it it made another tool group and placed it at the end.  The simulation showed the part being machined then the pilot holes being made.  (like the parachute that opens on impact.)  The tool did generate wirreframe arcs at each of the entry points.  We ended up deleting the toolpath, then using the arcs to spot and drill at the entry locations.  This made Mr. end mill much happier, but it was a lot more mouse clicks.  I purchased the eMastercam Mill Handbook and it is not explained.  (If it is, what page?)  I tried to go to Google University and found nothing on the start-hole feature.  I would appreciate any guidance on how to use this tool properly.

The Start Hole path requires you to have an existing "pocket type" path that already exists. When you use "Start Hole", it will analyze the pocket path, and it will create a Drill path that drills at all the "plunge points".

My advice to you though would be to use a "helical" entry motion for your roughing tools, to avoid the "plunge moves" completely.

I understand there are other ways to do this, however I do want to learn how to use the start hole path.  What is the order of operations to get it to drill the holes before the pocket/contour operations?

1. Create pocket #1
  2. Create Pocket #2
  3. Create Contour
  4. Create start hole
  5. Then what???

You can force a contour to start at a drilled hole as well

When chaining the contour, chain the starting hole point first then the contour

there are some settings on the lead in/out page that will need tweaking but they are easy to figure out

• Like 1

Colin,

I played around on a practice part and that is indeed the way to do it.  Thanks. :)

This is what I found worked for me:

1. Create the toolpaths for the entire part; drill, tap, contour, pocket, face, etc.
  2. Select start hole toolpath
    1. Select the toolpaths that would benefit from a start hole (contour, pocket, etc.)
    2. Let Mastercam perform its magic
    3. It will create wire frame geometry at all of the plunge operations called out in #1.
    4. A new group gets created below the previous operations.  This group will have the spotting operation and several drilling operations that are tailored to the end mills selected in #1
  3. Select the spot operation and cut it out and paste it where appropriate among the previous operations
  4. Select a drill operation and cut is out and paste it where appropriate.  You may have to edit the depths (my parts had several levels.)
  5. Select the other drill operations and paste them if needed.
  6. When you are done the bottom group will be empty and can be deleted.

Thanks for your help.  This lets us program quickly and keeps Mr. End Mill happy.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,

A Tip/Trick to be aware of:

Don't just "left-click and drag" or right-click, copy/paste from the menu. There is a better way.

Take the Operation (s) you want to move, and select them. (Green check, hold CTRL + click)

With the Operation(s) selected, right-click and hold down the right mouse button. Drag the Ops, while holding the button down continuously. Drag the Ops to the Operation at the top of the list (or any other Op location), and release the mouse button.

When you do this, you'll get a pop-up menu with Copy or Paste, either before or after the Op you are dropping it on. Also, there is a "cancel" option. This method is far more reliable, and I love having the cancel option. If your mouse hand slips while dragging, you can cancel and try again.

• Like 1
On 3/30/2017 at 2:29 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Joe,

A Tip/Trick to be aware of:

Don't just "left-click and drag" or right-click, copy/paste from the menu. There is a better way.

Take the Operation (s) you want to move, and select them. (Green check, hold CTRL + click)

With the Operation(s) selected, right-click and hold down the right mouse button. Drag the Ops, while holding the button down continuously. Drag the Ops to the Operation at the top of the list (or any other Op location), and release the mouse button.

When you do this, you'll get a pop-up menu with Copy or Paste, either before or after the Op you are dropping it on. Also, there is a "cancel" option. This method is far more reliable, and I love having the cancel option. If your mouse hand slips while dragging, you can cancel and try again.

This is how I've done it for a while now. It saves a lot of headaches.

• Like 1

Not to get you too far off topic, but in my opinion there are better ways to do this in Mastercam. What I personally do is a simple drill toolpath first, Create a circle that is the same size and location of where I drilled. Then when I just use the 2d Area toolpath or 2d Dynamic toolpath and when selecting geometry I make sure to select that arc as an air region and the Area/Dynamic path will automatically plunge into that air region if the tool is small enough to fit.

I Just find that that will give me much better and newer tool motion technology compared to that old pocket, plus its super easy to pick an air region, Just a suggestion because some of those old toolpaths like pocket and start hole have toolpaths that can do those tasks better and more efficiently.