Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

change 4th axis rotary output

On 12/27/2019 at 11:07 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Disclaimer:

For anyone who might be playing along and watching this thread: use these Post Modifications at your own risk!!!

Neither myself, nor my employer (Selway Machine Tool Company), will be liable for any damage that might occur to your machine(s), as a result of modifying your Posts, using edits that I've suggested in this, or any other thread on Emastercam.

As I noted in my original post in this thread; make sure you test the output of your Post very carefully before trusting in these Post edits...

Just stumbled on this.  Colin shouldn't have to say this.  Way back when I first got started doing CNC set up, my boss told me something that has stuck with me to this day, "Don't trust anyone's programs, especially mine".  The same principle can be applied here, don't trust anyone's advice, test it, debug it, verify it.  There is a lot of good advice on this forum, but, when we offer advice, we don't see the whole picture.  Without seeing everything, there is always an important detail that can be missed.  Also worth noting, that if someone such as Colin responds to help you, they are not required to spend hours on your problem.  It can be very difficult to work on post development, but if you just blindly rely one help from the community to do it for you, you learn nothing.  My two cents for anyone getting started in post development; save original post and incremental copies on a separate drive.  I add the date onto the file name to keep multiple copies.  Build a test file with several toolpaths in it, in which you know what the output should be.  Go back and re-post previous projects with your new post and do a file compare to the original.  Use the post debugger utility.  If possible, have a peer use your post and give feedback, they may catch something you don't, or they do things differently and break your post.  When I build new postblocks, I put them all in one place with a note that these are my postblocks.  I do the same thing with variable initializing and formatting, all in one place under "my variables".  Go to YouTube and check out Colin's channel, it's worth the visit.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bd41612 said:

Colin shouldn't have to say this

He doesn't "have to" providing code without a disclaimer/license opens you up to liability, it's best to always include something like that when providing code.

• 7 months later...