Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sandvik Prime Turning

Used to try some unconventional turning when i was getting started in the trade on a little hardinge manual. Mostly tool's own geometry got in the way. So it seems this geometry is a long time coming. Hopefully what they are missing in beefy profile they will make up for in insert thickness?

very cool video. thanks for sharing.

If CAM is driving a nose radius, what non existing software could be needed?

Interesting. I saw this yesterday. I guess it makes sense, given the approach angle of the tool. Much like using a high feed endmill against a 90 degree approach endmill.

It will be interesting to see if any CAM vendors take up the programming capability for something like this, because it would be a bit of a pain in the a$$ to have to generate patches of code from the Coromant app, and then merge it into the code generated by the CAM system.

I´ve seen them to try the same subscription approach with SpiroGroove program generator... Guess what.. never took off...

They´re tooling builders... People usually don´t put up with technology lock-in for their cutting tools... 

Guess what... Probably some 25 years old machining marketing PPT genius told them otherwise...

the Sandvik reps asked me to trial this, I have two WFL`s 100kw spindle power, i run the part on EN8 steel, 285 metres/min surface speed, 3mm DOC, and 1mm /rev, it drew 15 kw in power, i was very impressed with how it cut, but............the inserts are 19 pounds each, with two edges, they are not offering discount, this method is actually slower, than the  process just now, and when you work out the cost per edge, more expensive, (i run 160612 cnmg at 270 mtrs/min with a 8mm DOC and .5mm/rev).

1 hour ago, compressor sam said:

the Sandvik reps asked me to trial this, I have two WFL`s 100kw spindle power, i run the part on EN8 steel, 285 metres/min surface speed, 3mm DOC, and 1mm /rev, it drew 15 kw in power, i was very impressed with how it cut, but............the inserts are 19 pounds each, with two edges, they are not offering discount, this method is actually slower, than the  process just now, and when you work out the cost per edge, more expensive, (i run 160612 cnmg at 270 mtrs/min with a 8mm DOC and .5mm/rev).

Dave - I roared thinking you're a tight arse Jock ( :D ) regarding insert costs compared to the electricity bill of 100kw spindle power!!!

4 hours ago, gcode said:

I've looked through the lathe toolpaths in MC2108BP4 and don't see anything new.

Maybe they are just doing this in the mill/turn module ?????

Yeah, probably. So it will be a cheap addon....:rolleyes:

Seriously though, I hate it when tooling vendors "partner" with singular software vendors to provide a solution for new technology. So, if you don't use the tooling companies products, and use the software, or vice versa, you're at a disadvantage.

I'm with newbeee though, I don't like the idea of turning against the tailstock. Tried and true is heading towards the chuck :)

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Mick said:

I don't like the idea of turning against the tailstock.

Or worse yet, turning away from the chuck jaws with no tailstock

I was cringing watching that video.

Still, I hope the Prime toolpaths aren't MT exclusive.

These insets and toolpaths could be productive in some VTL applications

23 minutes ago, gcode said:

Or worse yet, turning away from the chuck jaws with no tailstock

I was cringing watching that video.

Still, I hope the Prime toolpaths aren't MT exclusive.

These insets and toolpaths could be productive in some VTL applications

I can see the term "MT Exclusive" being used more and more.... LOL

I agree about turning away from the jaws without a tailstock. Yeah, I wouldn't be keen on that either.