Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Copy chains / drill points from one operation to another

This may be a simple user question, but since I haven't found a way to do it maybe it could be a net-hook application?

Often I will have a roughing end mill, finishing end mill, and chamfer mill all using the same set of chains. Similarly, I will have a center drill, drill, countersink, and reamer all acting on the same set of drill points / entities.

I could change my programming technique and make better use of that "Last" button, but that isn't really a viable solution. Things aren't always done in an order that makes the very last chain the one you want to use. (For example, I may use that countersink on several hole patterns, but I only want to copy one of the drill point groups for the reamer)

When I import or copy operations without geometry, it is taking me too long to associate the toolpaths with the new geometry. I have tried skipping around and using the "Last" button for that, but it doesn't behave as expected, and even if it did I think there could be a more efficient method.

Here's what I'd like to be able to do:

1. Lets say I've imported several operations without associated geometry. I'd like to ctrl + click to highlight 4 of them and choose the geometry for all 4 in one swoop. Alternately, I would like to be able to pick the geometry for the first operation, close the point / chain manager, then highlight the other 3 operations and copy the geometry from the first one to the 3 highlighted ones.

2. When creating a new toolpath, have the ability to open the chain manager (or point manager) for other operations and drag / drop the chains into the new operation.

Do these seem like possibilities for a net-hook or is this more of a feature request (or can we already do this and I'm missing it)?

Well that does exactly what I want and it is better than the way I had imagined doing it. I had never thought to try dragging and dropping that way before you suggested it. Ignorance is not always bliss.

Looks like I'll be getting a lot more done at work tomorrow. Thank you Ron.

• Like 1