Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

FANUC Parameter (Tool Offset) Help

tnosmelc

• 1 month later...

Series 18i - T (Daewoo)

Series 21i - T (Daewoo)

Series 31i - Model A (Doosan)

These are all lathes.

I'm also looking for the parameter for the work offset. I don't want it to default to G54 when I hit reset either.

What do the model letters signify? Does model A mean that it uses G code system A? Originally I thought the A stood for milling? The Doosan model A does have live tooling capabilities. Thanks in advance.  

G54 revert is controlled by a group parameter. Just like absolute or incremental and g1 g0

When you change this parameter all in the group are affected.

I have it handy for our model 30b5 miller at work, I'll post it Monday if no one has found it

In the system the parameters should look lime a grid and have labels for group 01,02 ect if I recall

On 4/14/2017 at 5:26 PM, tnosmelc said:

When I press reset it cancels out my tool offset on a FANUC controlled lathe (Daewoo). Does anyone know the parameter that prevents this from happening? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

There are logical reasons for that to happen. I would suggest you reconsider changing this proven and safe process. If you hit reset and you may change the tool. If you have not allowed the machine to follow the correct process then you run the risk of restarting a program with the wrong tool's offset applied to the tool and crash the machine. Certain things happen certain ways for certain reasons and you start changing that safe and predictable process I am afraid you might see some dire results. Please proceed forward with caution and make sure you give what you are going to do some serious thought. Put the correct safe guard in places that you are now circumventing with making this change.

• Like 2

Check 3407 and 3406.

My tips sheet says 3407#6 (c14)for work offset reset 0 means revert to g54 on reset

These have characters c08 c07 ect. These are the groups. If yours is similar the parameter manual will have the explanations for what is what before you change anything

On 6/5/2017 at 9:22 AM, C^Millman said:

There are logical reasons for that to happen. I would suggest you reconsider changing this proven and safe process. If you hit reset and you may change the tool. If you have not allowed the machine to follow the correct process then you run the risk of restarting a program with the wrong tool's offset applied to the tool and crash the machine. Certain things happen certain ways for certain reasons and you start changing that safe and predictable process I am afraid you might see some dire results. Please proceed forward with caution and make sure you give what you are going to do some serious thought. Put the correct safe guard in places that you are now circumventing with making this change.

Could you go into more detail about the "proven and safe process" I need your help understanding. Let's say tool #1 is called up and tool offset #1 is active, you hit reset clearing out the tool offset then change tool and don't "allow the machine to follow the correct process" (I think you're saying, not starting the program in the correct position?) then you still run the risk of restarting with the wrong tool offset, resulting in a crash. The problem I have is that some of our machines reset the tool offset when pressing RESET and some don't. We've never crashed a machine with the tool offset still active but I've seen a crash because the RESET button reset the tool offset. A guy was touching off tools (no tool presetter), he called up his tool making the tool offset active then hit RESET cancelling out the offset. He then touched off the tool changing the tool geometry incorrectly, not realizing it. Fortunately he just broke off a tap. Our guys know to start at the beginning of the tool block in the program so that the tool and tool offset are called up every time. In the name of continuous improvement I'm just trying to make things more consistent/constant yet right. I appreciate your time and insight.

P.S. - We just bought 2 brand new Nakamura AS-200L lathes and they don't reset the tool or work offset when you press the reset button.

On your other point I agree with millman about not altering the g49.

It seems like you want the machine to read out the absolute height offset position so you can look at it up close. I have done this by single blocking and then feed hold and open door request. Then I can move it while he height offset is still active. From there you can either reset and start over or close the door and start the spindle and resume the program.

Is this what you want to accomplish?

You can also go to relative position screen and if your offset is 10" put z-10. Preset. That value will persist unless you have the machine set to overwrite with manual zero return.

ETA ,it seems you have a different issue , it may be in the book where the other peramater groups are

On 4/15/2017 at 0:05 AM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

There's a few parameters that dictate what happens under a "RESET" condition. Model and Series are a definite must to help.

Series 18i - T (Daewoo)

Series 21i - T (Daewoo)

Series 31i - Model A (Doosan)

These are all lathes.

I'm also looking for the parameter for the work offset. I don't want it to default to G54 when I hit reset either.

What do the model letters signify? Does model A mean that it uses G code system A? Originally I thought the A stood for milling? The Doosan model A does have live tooling capabilities. Thanks in advance.  

2 hours ago, tnosmelc said:

Could you go into more detail about the "proven and safe process" I need your help understanding. Let's say tool #1 is called up and tool offset #1 is active, you hit reset clearing out the tool offset then change tool and don't "allow the machine to follow the correct process" (I think you're saying, not starting the program in the correct position?) then you still run the risk of restarting with the wrong tool offset, resulting in a crash. The problem I have is that some of our machines reset the tool offset when pressing RESET and some don't. We've never crashed a machine with the tool offset still active but I've seen a crash because the RESET button reset the tool offset. A guy was touching off tools (no tool presetter), he called up his tool making the tool offset active then hit RESET cancelling out the offset. He then touched off the tool changing the tool geometry incorrectly, not realizing it. Fortunately he just broke off a tap. Our guys know to start at the beginning of the tool block in the program so that the tool and tool offset are called up every time. In the name of continuous improvement I'm just trying to make things more consistent/constant yet right. I appreciate your time and insight.

P.S. - We just bought 2 brand new Nakamura AS-200L lathes and they don't reset the tool or work offset when you press the reset button.

You asked about the tool parameter not the work offset parameter in your original question. That is the one I am referring too more than anything. You have tool #1 in the turret and that is the active tool. Now you change to tool #2 and then mid restart a program and the machine has the tool #1 offset applied, but you accidentally skipped the tool offset call in the program because well you assume one is applied because it always active. That tool is 4" different in length and now you have just jammed that tool through somewhere or something you were not expecting. Now if the machine is tracking the active tool and keeping that tool's active tool offset when it is that station of the turret then no worries, but only newer machines like the Nakamura that I am aware do this. By not having the tool offset stay active a after reset then you are forcing yourself to always make sure you following a process to apply tool offset when using a tool. Again I am talking about tool offset not work offset and that was your original question. How it morphed into work offsets I am not sure as they are 2 different conversations in my book. Following a process that makes you sure what it what and not keeping something that is not being tracked is a very dangerous process for tools. For workofsets you have more room to not run into problems, but specifically when dealing with tools I am of the mind set it must be deliberate and something not being left to chance by having the last active tool offset being the one the machine is keeping. 

Since they already know the process to follow that is safe why change the process that could allow something seriously wrong to happen? Trust me you allow someone a way to do something dangerous and they will more than likely make that mistake. When you don't then you know they can't by following a proven industry method and process then you are not allowing that possibility to be introduced.

Hopefully my thoughts give you some food for thought related to tool offsets and why the default reset on those machines may be the better option. 

7 hours ago, tnosmelc said:

Probably the quickest way to find your answer is to talk with tech support for the Naks. As you just bought two, I expect they'll be your new best friends :D Explain what you're asking and let them come back with parameters. Then double check the yellow books and you should be good to go.

A quick google threw this up https://en.industryarena.com/forum/tool-offset-reset-fanuc-21i-tb--213904.html

Well..all this lay out here by CMillman and tnosmlelc are just scenarios...One who works on a machining center must know what he's doing otherwise it will crash the machine regardless. I don't think that there is a "set in stone" safer way to work, 'cuz all depends of the person who works on machine and the machine settings. Some ppl will change machine settings and their ways of doing things and they are confident on what they are doing and they will never crash...other don't.
I can tell here how we work on all fanuc machine. At every tool change M06 the tool offsets are loaded with H and D = tool number in spindle. At reset tool offsets still remain active. There is no G43 H or D in any line in our programs. We work like that for years and we have no issues....there is more to tell but...no time for typing...lol

14 hours ago, Grievous said:

Well..all this lay out here by CMillman and tnosmlelc are just scenarios...One who works on a machining center must know what he's doing otherwise it will crash the machine regardless. I don't think that there is a "set in stone" safer way to work, 'cuz all depends of the person who works on machine and the machine settings. Some ppl will change machine settings and their ways of doing things and they are confident on what they are doing and they will never crash...other don't.
I can tell here how we work on all fanuc machine. At every tool change M06 the tool offsets are loaded with H and D = tool number in spindle. At reset tool offsets still remain active. There is no G43 H or D in any line in our programs. We work like that for years and we have no issues....there is more to tell but...no time for typing...lol

On a mill yes, on a lathe it is much easier to get things messed up has been my experience. I agree with your statement and would always rather err on the side of caution is all. All it takes is one all man and it could get real serious quick. Yes you should never crash a machine, but I have and know many who admit they have also. Comes with the territory. 

Keep us posted how you come out tnosmlelc.