Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Probing with G68.2

Fair enough. I've been using and training folks how to use it for nearly 11 years. I've got customers that use it strictly for posting because they trust verify on up to creating their own NC Formats to do specific things and everything in between. 

You have the C-Hook right?

So, have you been thoroughly trained in it's use or just kind of shown the basics? If it's that latter, I'd like to help you out with it. It's really a good tool. Not perfect but they are always adding new features and functions. IMHO, it's only real drawback is that I can't really build my own machines. Other than that, it's been rock solid, CAMplete has been 1,000x more responsive to issues than any other software company I have ever dealt with.

43 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Fair enough. I've been using and training folks how to use it for nearly 11 years. I've got customers that use it strictly for posting because they trust verify on up to creating their own NC Formats to do specific things and everything in between. 

You have the C-Hook right?

So, have you been thoroughly trained in it's use or just kind of shown the basics? If it's that latter, I'd like to help you out with it. It's really a good tool. Not perfect but they are always adding new features and functions. IMHO, it's only real drawback is that I can't really build my own machines. Other than that, it's been rock solid, CAMplete has been 1,000x more responsive to issues than any other software company I have ever dealt with.

James is right...

When I was programming a MAM72 it was invaluable, as was his input

Spend sometime, you'll never look at Verify the same way again

Edited by Guest

So gents...

..in the end can someone layout in very specific way and with details, how this guy can achieve that 0.001 true position using probing cycles?

I'm asking because I'd like to learn also how.

Or he should buy camplete cuz that software has a miraculous function on how to achieve that tolerance.

Thanks guys

The process was laid out just need to read between the lines. He was very close just needed to adjust his probing process to take into account the shifted amout of the G68.2 from the position being collected. Once he does or did that; he should be good to go. Throw up a sample part along with more information. Probing in a controlled environment with a machine that has all the thermals controlled then you should be good to go.

CAMPlete is a verification program that will take Mastercam file and create posted NC code. Pretty slick process they have, but that has not real bearing on trying to hold the true position. From what I understood he already had CAMPlete and was going to spend the money to get a 5 Axis post.

Depending on your machine the process would go like this.

Probe the part and establish it's base position.

Mill the Datum or Datums and the feature undersize needing to hold the .001 true position to. 

Probe the part again to see if anything has changed. Then probe the Datum or Datums and then store the positions relative to what you are working from.

Probe the undersized feature to make sure the size is what you expect. Check it position back to the Datum or Datums. Then adjust the workoffset the amount needed to bring it within the tolerance if out. If good run it like it is. Then repeat all of the probing to verify you got said results. Then argue with inspection when they tell you it is not within tolerance. I have seen dust give false errors on parts. Know what you know and prove what you know and then you will be able to know it is right.

I'm trying to figure out why you are using G68.2 in this situation. The Tilted Workplane created by the G68.2 in the program sample you provided uses the same origin and axis direction that the workpiece would normally have at A-90. C180. on your machine.

It took me a bit to discern your parts orientation from your description but I think I have it right and I'm assuming that you have a table/table machine.

In Mastercam the Tool Plane is basically an upside down Front View right? Tool Plane X, Y, Z = Mastercam -X, -Z, -Y if I'm reading the code correctly.

After the rotation you described the Tool Plane matches Top so Y+ on your program will be Y+ on your machine, so on and so forth.

Depending on your control there are limits to what you can do while G68.2 so you end up creating more problems for yourself in the end. My control doesn't allow the origin defined by G68.2 to be shifted so incremental or machine coordinates are the only options.

3 hours ago, Delcandoit said:

I'm trying to figure out why you are using G68.2 in this situation.

You would want to use TWP (G68.2)  in this situation to keep X0 at X0, Y0 at Y0 and Z0 at Z0 regardless of orientation, rotation and/or position with a single offset. IOW, maintain part coordinates no matter what.

3 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

The process was laid out just need to read between the lines. He was very close just needed to adjust his probing process to take into account the shifted about of the G68.2 from the position being collected.

:D