Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

dynamic, i guess i still haven't figured it out

jlw™

So, i use dynamic A LOT.  Probably my favorite path.  Even when I use "conventional" feeds, speeds and depths cut I use dynamic because it will never bury a tool.

Any who, I usually end up breaking my geo up into multiple paths to get the "air" down.  Am I just missing the trick on this one?

dynamicwtf.png

I usually use dynamic contour for holes and counter bores. Then play with the contour wall tab settings (I have more luck using stock on walls parameter rather than the previous tool parameters which I usually leave at 0.0).

By manipulating the stock on wall and the entry parameters you can get either a center plunge for pre drilled or a helical entry if you have enough motion on the tool and / or depending on material.

Does that help?

Thanks Nick, but no.  I am looking to make it take the shortest path between chains.  If you look at my pic above it does one, the next, jumps way down then all the way back to the top.

If you want to plunge you set your helix to 0 radius and 0 angle and it will plunge right into an air chain.

3 hours ago, nickbe10 said:

I usually use dynamic contour for holes and counter bores. Then play with the contour wall tab settings (I have more luck using stock on walls parameter rather than the previous tool parameters which I usually leave at 0.0).

By manipulating the stock on wall and the entry parameters you can get either a center plunge for pre drilled or a helical entry if you have enough motion on the tool and / or depending on material.

Does that help?

Why not just use circle mill?

3 hours ago, jlw™ said:

So, i use dynamic A LOT.  Probably my favorite path.  Even when I use "conventional" feeds, speeds and depths cut I use dynamic because it will never bury a tool.

Any who, I usually end up breaking my geo up into multiple paths to get the "air" down.  Am I just missing the trick on this one?

dynamicwtf.png

What are you cutting on this part with the Dynamic path?

I am totally with jlw here, the HS toolpaths are great even with conventional speed feed and step overs. On conterbores you only have one entry and exit which can be especially beneficial in difficult materials.

I would just do one HS toolpath down to the conterbores and then create curves at the counterbore depths I wanted and then chain the order I want. No real extra work here because you can combine your finish into the dynamic contour.....and now you have control of the individual features.

I think the problem here is that the HS toolpaths are basically looking at intersections of curves from a profile and entries and constructing the longest engagement it can manage, which is working against any decision about the nearest entity, but I am just guessing. Perhaps Colin could give us some insight on how these algorithms are functioning.....?

3 hours ago, jlw™ said:

Because I don't like it.

You are creating more work for yourself here honestly. For that feature I would use circle mill all day long. I'm not that big a fan of circle mill either but in this situation it is the way to go. 

• Like 1

There really isn't sorting in the Dynamic Mill paths. I would also advise, 100%, to use Circle Mill for milling Circles.

What don't you like about it Jeremy?

You can totally HSM those holes with Circle Mill, just use the "Roughing" option. Then choose if you want Semi-Finish, Finish, or no Finish paths with that same tool.

And using Circle Mill gives you Point Sorting options, so you can adjust the travel path all day.

I get the feeling that Dynamic Mill is using the "Database creation order" for those Arcs.

If you absolutely, positively, want to use 2D Dynamic, then try this:

1. Create Points at the centers of all those circles, on a new level.
  2. Turn off all Levels except the Point Level.
  3. Create new Arcs, in the order you want the path to travel between the chains.
  4. Delete the existing chains from your Tool Path, and reselect the new Arcs, in the order you want them to be cut.

I can't guarantee that will work, but it is worth a shot.

My first choice though would be to explore the Circle Mill Tool Path, and find the right combination of Parameters so that Mastercam creates the path the way you want it created. Circle Mill will do this for me every time...

2d HS dynamic mill has the default sort order of "None", try setting it to "Air"

You can do this with most of the HS toolpaths and it makes a big difference.. Not sure why default isn't "Air" out of the box.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Ok, I'll admit I have done it with circ mill.  I'll also admit that it is probably faster to create the path as well.  I do not like the circ mill path.  I like the dynamic path.  I'll also admit that the primary factor is that I have noticed this and it is pushing my OCD button bad.   I'll also admit to causing myself more work at times to get things the way I want them to be when I could just move on.  That's me tho, I cope the best I can.  I am having trouble letting this one go and being OCD or a perfectionist or whatever people call me has gotten me where I am.  I often learn things simply because I can't stand not to.

So there.

3 minutes ago, BCW said:

2d HS dynamic mill has the default sort order of "None", try setting it to "Air"

You can do this with most of the HS toolpaths and it makes a big difference.. Not sure why default isn't "Air" out of the box.

Capture.JPG

Yep, tried all three there.

26 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

Ok, I'll admit I have done it with circ mill.  I'll also admit that it is probably faster to create the path as well.  I do not like the circ mill path.  I like the dynamic path.  I'll also admit that the primary factor is that I have noticed this and it is pushing my OCD button bad.   I'll also admit to causing myself more work at times to get things the way I want them to be when I could just move on.  That's me tho, I cope the best I can.  I am having trouble letting this one go and being OCD or a perfectionist or whatever people call me has gotten me where I am.  I often learn things simply because I can't stand not to.

So there.

I understand wanting everything perfect and in order, trust me. That's how I am as well. But that still requires you to work within the limits of the software. With that being the case you have a few options. One, use circle mill; you still haven't explained what you don't like about it. Or two, split all those C-bores into individual operations and sort them manually in the operations manager. Either way you get the desired result. 

I would like to hear what you don't like about Circle mill. I might be able to point you in the right direction. If you don't want to post it up here just email me. 

12 hours ago, jlw™ said:

dynamicwtf.png

You must select geometry in order for MAstercam to "sort" by selection. Just tried it and it works like a charm. Dont select solid chains.