Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Slim profile tool holders

I am looking for some slim profile CAT40 holders for 1/8" and 3mm shank tools. We have a few Showa HPC125M holders but they are costly, long lead time, and based on what our operators have said they don't last long and then end up with bad runout. I am looking at the Pioneer VX06 and I wonder if any of you have experience with it. Also, maybe you have an alternate you can recommend.

My needs are the following:

CAT40

3mm and .125 capacity

TSC

Ability to remove the tool without taking off the pull stud

.8 max holder OD

Thanks for any helpful input

I have used the Pioneer holders quite a bit, both VX and MX series. They are some great holders and will last a long time. Another company with that style holder is Lyndex Nikken with their Mini-Mini Chucks. If you do get the ones with the rear mounted screw when you have a thru coolant pull stud installed you still have access to the mounting screw. 

If you ever need a really slim mold chuck check out ERI America's Micron Mold Chucks. I have several jobs running them with great success.

I like iscar er32 to shrink. They have models to download too

AT those sizes rigidity is not a concern. I only do up to .375 which is fine.

$150 on top of cat40 ER holder.

Did I mention how slim they are?

Not sure about TSC

Pioneers & Lyndex SK & SX collets are interchangable, and the SK6 series will be just under your .800 nose diameter. The VX system is pretty slick also, and lyndex has the before mentioned mini mini with a side screw that runs a gear to tighten the collet.

Big Kaiser with their Mega micro chuck is another option, but its going to be an $$$ option (tho a very good one)

16 minutes ago, BenK said:

If you do get the ones with the rear mounted screw when you have a thru coolant pull stud installed you still have access to the mounting screw. 

The issue there is that the TSC hole on the Okuma pull studs is small and does not allow a large enough wrench through. (4mm hole vs a 6mm hole needed). The ERI is nice but it is actually the Showa :D (With the same lack of availability)

I'll check out the SK. I have used them in bigger sizes and they did only "OK" but I was asking a lot of them. My tooling supplier is recommending just a RegoFix ER11 system. Ill have to see how they compare.

30 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

The issue there is that the TSC hole on the Okuma pull studs is small and does not allow a large enough wrench through. (4mm hole vs a 6mm hole needed). The ERI is nice but it is actually the Showa :D (With the same lack of availability)

I'll check out the SK. I have used them in bigger sizes and they did only "OK" but I was asking a lot of them. My tooling supplier is recommending just a RegoFix ER11 system. Ill have to see how they compare.

That's too bad. I wonder why they went so small. And I guess I never paid attention to that about the ERI holders. :blushing:

The SK chucks are nice also. What are you planning on doing with these, milling or drilling applications? The VX/MX style would be a little more rigid for milling. Either are great for drilling.

On 5/9/2017 at 10:28 AM, Mr. M said:

Check out Techniks with their Slim-fit system. We use them constantly and they have excellent runout control. The system uses an internal nut, and they supply the drive key that is small enough to fit an Okuma knob thru-hole. They can hold up to a 1/4 inch with the right collet, but they really shine with smaller tools. You can get them in 4, 6, and 8 inch lengths.

We use ER11's also, but I prefer the slim fit.