Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Product Levels

Mick

I had a customer of mine ask me this morning, about the capabilities of Mill vs Mill 3D. They wanted to know what they could or couldn't do with their Mill license.

I know there used to be a comparison chart available, but there seems to be little or no information on the Mastercam page. Does anyone have any further information?

Basically in mill one you get all your wireframe programming plus some surfacing being limited to mostly being able to pick a single surface. You also get your highspeed tool paths.

In 3D you get everything else including your multi axis paths. If you are going to be doing lots of surfacing you will want 3D even if you are not doing multi axis work.

26 minutes ago, gcode said:

I think there are some multiaxis toolpaths like 5X drilling available on a 3D license,

but full MultiAxis is a separate line item on our nethasp.

My bad. I thought that Mastercam had gone to only 2 levels.

29 minutes ago, gcode said:

I think there are three milling levels

Mill

Mill3D

Multiaxis

and then the specialized add-ons ... Blade Expert and Port Expert.

I can find no info on their website as to what these levels contain though.

This is funny.

We're all long term users who moan that CNC are now too sales driven, but none of us know the answer to this question :hrhr:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, newbeeee said:

This is funny.

We're all long term users who moan that CNC are now too sales driven, but none of us know the answer to this question hrhr::

I suspect this info is lacking on purpose.. that way you have to calla salesman to get the info you need

2 hours ago, gcode said:

I think there are three milling levels

Mill

Mill3D

Multiaxis

and then the specialized add-ons ... Blade Expert and Port Expert.

I can find no info on their website as to what these levels contain though.

Mill Entry is still around also. We have a seat for programming our Laser's. So four different levels I know of.

I do know that mill entry limits you to TOP WCS only, no surfacing, I think it will do a pocket toolpath but not sure. But for a laser...2D contour is all you need.

On the Mill side it goes Mill Entry, Mill then Mill3d. now the next step is to add multiaxis or you can add say just Curve 5axis and Drill 5 axis to a Mill or Mill 3d.

As of X9 Solids are now included in the cost.
Now one of thoughts that was stated was Mill is the same of what used to be Mil level 2. So if you were a Mill level 1 owner before X9 you were moved to what used to be a Mill level 2.

So mill does everything of course as a Mill level one did but as stated there is one Multisurf pocket roughing option. as for the rest of the surface roughing options are limited to a single Face or Surface. This goes the same with the finish paths you are limited to single surface or face surface paths. you you will have all the surface finish paths but only single selection option.

When you move to Mill 3d is when you get more of the roughing surface pattern option and the same on the Surface finish.

this picture of a project just finished you see what paths were used and it was done on a Mill level. I locked my sim to a Mill level to show at a mill level what could be done.
Coming to a video near you soon. in 2018

Milllevel.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply Jay, that is the info my customer needed.

Like newb said, it is funny that none of we long term users can answer the question fully, but like gcode says, it is probably on purpose to get you directed to a reseller./salesperson. Which is fine of course, unless your salesperson doesn't know the difference between toolpaths...... just sayin' :)

10 hours ago, Mick said:

Which is fine of course, unless your salesperson doesn't know the difference between toolpaths...... just sayin' :)

which just means he'll sell you 3D Mill and Multiaxis to be sure all the bases are covered 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, AMCNitro said:

Is EDM wire an add on?  My boss is thinking of getting a wire edm, and I will get to run it

It can be added on to an existing license, it can also be purchased as a standalone SIM as well....

Typically adding it to an existing product will garner a multi-product discount but that is all stuff to be worked out with your salesman

Edited by Guest
On 5/22/2017 at 9:03 AM, JParis said:

It can be added on to an existing license, it can also be purchased as a standalone SIM as well....

Typically adding it to an existing product will garner a multi-product discount but that is all stuff to be worked out with your salesman

Same with Lathe.  But having Lathe and Mill on the same seat will allow you to program a lathe with live tooling.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:04 AM, gcode said:

I think there are some multiaxis toolpaths like 5X drilling available on a 3D license.

That's not on the default 3D license, is it? Or are you saying that I can add some multiaxis toolpaths individually?

6 minutes ago, jeff said:

That's not on the default 3D license, is it? Or are you saying that I can add some multiaxis toolpaths individually?

5 axis curve & 5 Axis drilling can be added, it is not there on a standard MIll 3