Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Vertical Milling Macachine

9 minutes ago, Mark @ PPG said:

rofl, if there is any surfacing involved especially in aluminium, then 5k spindle is useless

Tell it to those Boeing parts i rough surfaced @500 with 5000rpm. Feed gets through the part, not rpm.

:-)

5 minutes ago, Leon82 said:

When you're drilling an .008 hole 20k is a turtle

good application for an air spindle, right?

i got an old 50taper mori with 15k spindle not because i wanted it, the auction price was right. I'll probably never go over 9k. By the time it spools all the way up the program should have already be done. lol

9 hours ago, Mark @ PPG said:

ROFL, do you still ride horse to work? :D

Seriously though, I'm surprised that you don't see an advantage of a high RPM spindle for surfacing aluminium and such...oh, well...

I'm out.

Mark - mkd is playing with you.

Of course he knows the advantages but when you write the check for machines (and everything else) yourself, you have to get the job done with what you have.

One GREAT thing about engineering is improvisation. Kudos to mkd if he makes money on those boat anchors :hrhr:

• Like 3
6 hours ago, newbeeee said:

Mark - mkd is playing with you.

Of course he knows the advantages but when you write the check for machines (and everything else) yourself, you have to get the job done with what you have.

One GREAT thing about engineering is improvisation. Kudos to mkd if he makes money on those boat anchors :hrhr:

Nice post.

While having some fun trolling RPM true believers, just making a point that you might be surprised what you can actually do without a gazillion RPM. Rough a part at 40ipm with boring mill limited to 1000 rpm and then apply that to your lowly 7500 rpm Haas. It's not what you have it how you use it.

Like some mildly 5 axis aero parts I'm currntly making on a 3 axis Haas, that I'm doing for cheap. (lol I gotta get better at quoting)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mkd said:

While having some fun trolling RPM true believers, just making a point that you might be surprised what you can actually do without a gazillion RPM. Rough a part at 40ipm with boring mill limited to 1000 rpm and then apply that to your lowly 7500 rpm Haas. It's not what you have it how you use it.

I think your having way to much fun for any one machinist, both here and at "work":lol:.....!!!!

• Like 1

I always warm up a spindle. Never hurts. 

Depends on what I do 75% of the time... if I do aluminum 75% then the 20k can really shine. If I do exotics, Stainless, or Ti  75% of the time, I would probably get better results form the 12k High-Torque unless I'm running a lot of Ceramic Cutting Tools, then I'd have to look at process a little closer to determine what makes more sense. 

JM2CFWIW

:coffee:

23 hours ago, mkd said:

I've done that with 5k.

Actually I think 20,000 is probably a bit much for most. I had a chip thinning calculator I got from the Stellram mill manager back in the early - mid 90s. Long before "High Speed" (or more accurately High Feed ) toolpaths even appeared widely here. It calculated both axial and radial chip thinning and as I recall I was stitching at 3000 rpm and 200 ipm in Titanium, came out like a mirror. If you factor up to 20K for aluminum most machines probably couldn't achieve the required feedrate, even if they had the room to accelerate. More useful for small diameter tools really.

Many times I suspect what people see as better finish might actually be burnishing. I came across it here making swaging dies. After making the first one with the speeds and feeds I was told were standard, the end of the ballnose looked like clay that had been mushed. I immediately doubled the federate and increased tool life by an order of magnitude and a more accurate surface.....

5 hours ago, mkd said:

yea, but my boss is a major jerkwad.:lol:

In that case I will remember to cry myself to sleep tonight:crybaby:...!

For a job shop, I think you really need a mixture of both.

Some machines with 8 or 10k for the steel parts and 15k machines for the ally.

Obviously if you're an OEM of mold/die, then you can be more specific because your jobs are more nailed down.

Job shops don't really know what's a coming round the corner...

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...