Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need help with flat pattern

Bubba85

Ok I need to make a flat pattern of this part. I usually don't have a lot of trouble developing flat patterns, however this one has me stumped. It is not a constant radius but more of a conical shape. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. I do have a file can share if needed.

741261.jpg

3 minutes ago, jeff said:

Do you mean like a silhouette boundary?

I need to make a flat pattern that when formed will result in this shape without having to be trimmed.

2 minutes ago, mkd said:

I've done it in solidworks.....

I wish I had access to Solidworks.

I would old school it. I would go to a plane normal to the part to a view that gives me a good looking down prospective or top. Then I would draw grid lines and project them to the part. I would then start working with them to see what way gave mt the best ones to work on being flat. I could get close, but I would offset it 1/4 big to be safe and go form there. 

1 minute ago, Bubba85 said:

I need to make a flat pattern that when formed will result in this shape without having to be trimmed.

Almost impossible. With those joggles in there going to be real hard to make a flat pattern that doesn't need to be trimmed. I said almost, but not just plan on some trial an error until you get it correct. Best to make large and trim to size and call it a day. Let us know many hours you have in this. I would think 4 to 8 hours.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

I would old school it. I would go to a plane normal to the part to a view that gives me a good looking down prospective or top. Then I would draw grid lines and project them to the part. I would then start working with them to see what way gave mt the best ones to work on being flat. I could get close, but I would offset it 1/4 big to be safe and go form there. 

That is what I am getting ready to do, create a bunch of cross section arcs and work out the math for the flat length, the create points for a splines. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

Almost impossible. With those joggles in there going to be real hard to make a flat pattern that doesn't need to be trimmed. I said almost, but not just plan on some trial an error until you get it correct. Best to make large and trim to size and call it a day. Let us know many hours you have in this. I would think 4 to 8 hours.

The flat pattern I develope will be used to make a blank die, so it at least needs to fall into tolerance after it is formed. 

12 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

yep, trying to flatten on two planes aint going to be any fun.

what profile tolerance r u trying to hit?

48 minutes ago, Bubba85 said:

That is what I am getting ready to do, create a bunch of cross section arcs and work out the math for the flat length, the create points for a splines. 

That is how I would go about doing it. If you go about ti this way I think you can hit that profile tolerance. Best of luck.